PrincessPeach

What do you put in a loot bag?

PrincessPeach

So sitting down to organise DS's birthday party & trying to figure out exact,y how mich do you put in the party bags?

So far i'm thinking:

Mini bouncy ball

Smiley face pencil

Bubbles

Mini pull back car

Freddo frog

Pkt Tiny teddies

Pkt lollies

Too much? Not enough?

What else - I've got about 14 kids coming.

• Like 1

seayork2002

That is about the amount I do so for me perfect amount!

Lunafreya

That sounds good :)

• Like 1

Riotproof

It’s fine, but tbh I am over the plastic crap that lasts 5 minutes.

• Like 13

22Fruitmincepies

All those little things add so much clutter to my life. I’ve gone with a pencil/hot wheels car and some lollies recently. One party did a toothbrush and toothpaste and it was a hit for most kids! (Can you guess the parent’s profession :lol:)

• Like 6

PrincessPeach

True, i'm toying with swapping out the bouncy ball & pull back cars for a proper handball each. They all play at lunch. That leaves the bubbles as the only plastic clutter.

• Like 6

seayork2002

True, i'm toying with swapping out the bouncy ball & pull back cars for a proper handball each. They all play at lunch. That leaves the bubbles as the only plastic clutter.

for some I put small erasers and some other small stationery things and sticker sheets (they come in a little notepad type book in the Reject/dollar shops)

Dianalynch

Good idea to swap out the bouncy ball - choking hazards to younger siblings - everyone loves bubbles and handball - great amount of stuff, on the generous side as well if you need to leave anything out you can

• Like 5

Riotproof

That’s way better, imo.

• Like 2

Lou-bags

Agree with your handball idea.

Mini bouncy balls go straight in the bin here. I’m reasonably relaxed about small bits and pieces but those scare the sh*t out of me as a choking hazard.

• Like 6

Bereckii

Handball + tiny teddies + 1 lolly = perfect.

• Like 2

hills mum bec

Agree with your handball idea.

Mini bouncy balls go straight in the bin here. I’m reasonably relaxed about small bits and pieces but those scare the sh*t out of me as a choking hazard.

Definitely a hand ball instead of a small bouncy ball. I'm another one who throws them straight in the bin. My kids are well past choking age but I do worry that one of the dogs will chew on them and choke.

ETA - A boy in Australia choked to death on a ball that his Mum had bought to put in the loot bags for his 4th birthday. Tragic.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/the-50-cent-sized-ball-that-caused-alby-davis-to-choke-to-death/news-story/74902f9411805ec030ff5d52a0b44de4

Edited by hills mum bec

JBH

To be honest, I am over loot bags - a combination of junk food and landfill. That said, I haven’t yet been game not to give anything out at the end of a party. I’d rather go with one decent item, like a hot wheels or a handball or a tennis ball Or a Tech Deck or even a kit Kat. I buy the bulk packs and break them up. I don’t think that would be more expensive than all the stuff you’ve planned. That said, if it will delight your little one, that’s one great party bag!

• Like 4

Kiwi Bicycle

I try and give one decent iem and then 2 wrapped sweets and a mini sticker sheet. Items recieved or given in the past include Barrel of Monkeys game ( $5 from Kmart), Lego mini figure blind bag, Hot Wkeels car, mini jigsaw puzzle, Zuru Oosh Putty ( doesn't dry out like slime).

I find once you add up a whole heap of little stuff, it's almost at $5 per person anyway. However these are party bags, not bags you give out to tbe entire class.

• Like 1

spr_maiden

I'm thinking of a pair of goggles and handful of lollies for next party bag - pool party.

I think the handball and lollies is perfect!

• Like 1

~Jolly_F~

We have been doing things like a themed mug or glass with hot choc sachets and a small pack of oreos instead of loot bags.

They work out the same price as the junk but they seem a bit more useful. Kids and parents have all been really happy with that kind of thing, we have had lots of comments on how much better they are.

• Like 4

sahmie

Bouncy balls get thrown out here - younger sib makes them unsafe.

Little tubs of playdoh (you can buy a pack of 12 or 15 at Kmart for $7 or less) are fun up to 5 (and actually my 9yo still loves a bit of playdoh).

Luci

I like the handball idea OP. I don't put any trinkets into lolly bags at all. I used to when the kids were younger but I think all those little bits and pieces of plastic are a waste of money. So now I just have a few lollies. Perhaps a mini choc bar, a chuppa chup, a few natural confectionary company lollies.

• Like 1

Chicken Penang

I prefer a few lollies or little packet of popcorn or tiny teddies. A pencil is okay. The rest gets chucked as soon as we get home.

Lucrezia Bauble

i just do lollies, freddo frog, that type of thing. i’m over the plastic crap ...

• Like 2

Let-it-go

Please no to mini bouncy balls or erasers. I swear I could rub out pencils constantly and I wouldn’t come close to using half the erasers we’ve been given in loot bags, by teachers, in stationery packs in presents.

A few lollies is fine.

• Like 3

Ellie bean

Yes I won’t let the kids have those bouncy balls, I put them straight in the bin, I still don’t trust my kids with them plus they are a choking hazard to the dog

I have done tubs of slime, and little soft toys from Kmart for about $4 that were a huge hit, just a single item in the brown paper loot bags you can also get at Kmart

froglett

My SIL just did a mini puzzle for each child at DN birthday recently. Great hit with the kids and no crap (both lolly wise and plastic crap wise).

The more parties my kids have been too, the more I hate lolly bags. I'd send the kids home with a slice of cake and leave it at that. Or add the handball like you suggested; they'll get use out of it.

• Like 1

amdirel

Lollies/choc only IMO. I don't like the crap. If you desperately need a *something*, I don't mind the idea of a proper high bounce handball, with lollies/choc.

• Like 1