JomoMum

5 week old sleeping in own room

JomoMum

So 5wo DS has started doing some longer stretches after his 7-7.30pm feed for 5-6 hours. Yay! But I’m awake after 2-3 hours for all the grunting, snuffling and squeaking noises he makes. He’s in a bassinet at the end of our bedroom, about 4-5m away.

But then it continues that way for the rest of the night.

I know it is recommended to keep babies in the room with parents until 6 months or more, but is it absolutely crucial? Our first DS was in with us till 10 months, with our cot side car’d next to the bed no less. But he was very quiet even from birth.

I’m struggling with lack of sleep, I’m a light sleeper so it doesn’t take much to keep me awake unfortunately. We have a room across the hall from our room that would be perfect to move him into, and a video baby monitor so we could be in his room very quickly when he actually wakes and cries out. But I understand that’s not the reason why they recommend keeping babies in with parents.

So what have you done?

Thank you x

Dianalynch

I feel for you, my ds was a noisy sleeper as well after a peaceful dd. Sleep is crucial. I just rode it out until I got used to it, I was terrified of sids, someone may have a better solution as you certainly need your sleep.

• Like 1

Babetty

Both my kids were in their own rooms from day 1. We followed all the other SIDS suggestions religiously, but like you I had a really noisy baby and since DH and I did "spilt shifts" where he did all resettling (unless feeding was required) before midnight while I went to bed early and had a deep sleep, having the baby in our room would have defeated that.

Each SIDS recommendation helps to minimise risk. I don't know enough to know the relative impact of all the different factors, but having DS and DD in their own rooms was important for my sanity.

• Like 6

Beanette

My DS snored so loudly (even as a tiny baby fresh home from hospital) that he never slept in our room. He started out in the hallway just outside our door, then slowly moved down the hall until he was in his own room next door to ours.

We slept with all the doors open so I could still hear him in the night, but it wasn't as loud as having him right next me.

I followed every safe sleep guideline to the letter, but I just needed him a few more meters away from me so I could actually get some sleep myself.

• Like 2

AllyK81

I slept with ear plugs in. I could hear the baby if they cried but it blocked out the grunting. Like you I am a light sleeper.

• Like 7

Ruf~Feral~es

Wow - I certainly didn't last much more than a month. I think 3-4 weeks was my limit.

I had a single bed in the babies room and would often go to sleep there after the early morning feed. But this was so DH could get up and go to work and I could sleep through until 8-9am.

With my first, I couldn't have coped with 6 months. And even less with #2, when I was getting up to both of them.

I used a monitor for peace of mind initially, but I think I even turned that off around 3 months, when I was confident that I would wake to their crying.

seayork2002

My son was in his own room from 2 weeks (his room was occupied till then) we could hear him break wind in his sleep from our room so as it turned out the most expensive baby monitor got no use! what a waste of money that was!

Kallie88

We've had all 3 in their own room from birth. Never had the room to fit them in with us. They're all fine, we followed all the sids guidelines for their cot etc. I guess it was easier for us as we just didn't have a choice.

SeaPrincess

I couldn’t sleep with my children in the room. Their noises kept me awake, and then if they went quiet, I had to get up and check on them. We had a monitor, we followed all the other recommendations.

tinselfoil hat

I wouldn’t imagine it would be a big problem. But if you’re concerned could your partner sleep in there with him?

Crazyone26989

My DS has been in his own room since 3 months because he was rolling and needed to be in a cot. I think it’s fine if you follow the other recommendations. I believe the reason it’s recommended is because young babies do regulate their breathing well and sleeping in the same room as an adult can help them do that. I’m fairly certain that’s what I read when I was looking into it.

YodaTheWrinkledOne

Both our babies were in their own room from day dot. We seriously didn't have room to fit a bassinett/cot in our bedroom and they were both noisy but light sleepers. No way were they going to be sleeping in our room, that was never going to work.

If you are concerned, get a good baby monitor for their room/cot. Keep doors open, etc

• Like 1

Freddie'sMum

With DD#1 she slept in her own room from the first day home. With DD#2 she slept in our room from the first day home (because there was nowhere else to put her !).

What no-one had told me was how NOISY little babies are. They snuffle and fart and faff about - it was a real shock to me how loud tiny little babies are :)

I agree with getting a baby monitor and keeping doors open. Your sleep is so very important too.

newbub2014

As per some other PPs I followed every other SIDS guideline except this one. DS started off right next to our bed, by about night 3 he was a couple of metres away, and then gradually was moved to hallway right outside our door, then up the hall way further and further away due to his noisy sleeping! Then we decided he may as well just go in to his room with the door propped open, which was right next to our room anyway. Presumably the SIDS guideline is around being there for them/hearing if something goes wrong. But my thinking was that I wouldn’t be able to do that if I was so tired because I wasn’t getting any sleep because of his noises (ie I might not hear him if I passed out from utter exhaustion)!

• Like 1

Fi Fy Festive Fo

Both my kids were I their own room from the day we brought them home. Do what works for you!

Pooks_

There are risks associated with sleep deprivation that you need to balance up here. Personally, as a result of that, I’d move them into their own room. Making sure the sleep space meets all the guidelines.

• Like 8

RichardParker

Do whatever feels right. I kind of wish ours had started in their own room earlier - because I think we woke our kids up as much as they kept us awake.

Lucrezia Bauble

mine were in their own rooms by around the two month mark...i probably could have done it earlier. like PPs said, we were all keeping each other awake with our respective noises and i think our room was too light - both my kids have always had a better (in quality and quantity) sleep when they are in their own cot/bed, on their own.

Moo-me

Maybe get one of those SIDS mattress monitors for extra peace of mind? Mind you I don’t have any experience with them but couldn’t hurt?

Hands Up

Our kids were both in their own rooms by night five (when they came home). We followed all other SIDS recommendations and had a very sensitive movement monitor installed. I almost went batty from sleep deprivation anyway. I can’t imagine what it would have been like with them in our room.

MagsJee

Sleep deprivation sucks hugely and being a fellow light sleeper I feel for you however I'm not sure it would actually do much good - wouldn't the baby monitor get activated when baby squealed etc. and wake you up regardless? Or can you set it somehow?

Lucrezia Bauble

Sleep deprivation sucks hugely and being a fellow light sleeper I feel for you however I'm not sure it would actually do much good - wouldn't the baby monitor get activated when baby squealed etc. and wake you up regardless? Or can you set it somehow?

just my experience, but no - the baby monitor doesn’t go off for every movement baby makes, every grunt, or snort - it goes off for crying - which is good, because obviously when they cry you need to go into them - but i would wake up at every groan, grunt...get up...he was fast asleep. me being there was making the situation worse. he was asleep. he wanted to sleep.

Handsfull

My girls were in their own room from

Day 5 as they made all types of noise. They were prem 27 weekers and had apnoea mats. Never had a problem and believe me we had our worries.

TheGreenSheep

Drove me bonkers at the hospital, they were straight into they’re own rooms from day dot. DS1 was in the room beside ours and I could still hear him at night thru the walls. DS2s room was way too far away so for convenience he was in the study opposite our room in the port a cot and I could hear him fussing thru the doors.

• Like 1

gracie1978

I think we booted out son out at two weeks?

Now with twin 5 week olds one is noisy AF and the other one is much quieter.

Regardless they live in the lounge (where the only air con unit is) and whoever is oncall with them naps on the couch. We pretty much do half the night each.

Didn't even have a baby monitor...