Sign in to follow this  
Jaffa donuts

WW & Coles bakery packaging

Jaffa donuts

I am finding I seem to be buying the 'bakery' bread from the big supermarkets on a fairly regular basis. The stuff that comes in a brittle brown paper bag, with a see through window.

How do I recycle this stuff? I have tried separating the paper and plastic, but there is always a section where the plastic and paper meet that I cannot separate. I take my soft plastics back to WW (not confident that anything worthwhile happens to it, but I feel good putting the problem back on them) but I assume I can't put plastic that has paper stuck to it in the hopper. Likewise I can't recycle the paper when it has plastic stuck to it.

• Like 1

Lunafreya

I find many bakery stuff is over packaged. It’s mental

#notallcats

I'm not sure either and swing between putting it in the normal recycling or giving it back to Coles/WW.

We should probably contact the head office to see what they say.

• Like 1

lozoodle

From memory the reverse side of that paper is waxy isn't it? If so i don't think it can be recycled at all (I may be wrong though!)

• Like 1

rosie28

I buy their unpackaged stuff and take a reusable bread bag to put it in. They have some things on packaging and the same without. Otherwise, bakers delight and similar will use my bread bag. I agree with you- you can’t recycle the bits where the paper and plastic are stuck together.

• Like 1

Kallie88

I buy their unpackaged stuff and take a reusable bread bag to put it in. They have some things on packaging and the same without. Otherwise, bakers delight and similar will use my bread bag. I agree with you- you can’t recycle the bits where the paper and plastic are stuck together.

This is what I was going to suggest, get a reusable bread bag and put it in that.

(feral)epg

I use a reusable bag.

Chocolate Addict

You can't use a re-usable bag on the bread OP is talking about. You would have to remove it from the packaging which would be making the same amount of waste anyway.

The councils are so strict sometimes and other times don't care.

We recently did a hard waste collection, the info sheet said to put the rubbish in two piles, green and household, you would assume so the green can be composted etc.. but when they came to collect it was all thrown in the same truck and compacted.

I buy that bread often and actually hate those bags because the plastic bit always tears and never keeps the bread fresh.

• Like 1

WaitForMe

I put the paper in the compost and the plastic with paper in the rubbish.

But I'm just making it up as I go along.