Riotproof

Taking up a dress with a pleat

Riotproof

Our school uniform has a pleat at the back. I think it’s called a box pleat. Do I need to anything different when taking it up? TIA

Expelliarmus

The hem will just go up as normal. When you press it, just press it with the pleat in place instead of out flat.

Edited by Expelliarmus
  • Like 2

Riotproof

Thank you. You can tell I’m hopeless at this stuff. I suspect it’s unlikely to get ironed many times.

Soontobegran

I always sprayed with a little spray starchy stuff like 'Crisp' after doing all hems and they held the pleat longer without constant ironing.

When you do take it up pin it first into the pleat to make sure the bottom of the pleat is even. Sometimes if the original hem is uneven the pleat will not match the bottom edges.

• Like 1

Riotproof

Thanks.

EsmeLennox

Yes, spray starch and press well after taking up and it should be fine. Alternatively, you might find after taking up and pressing into place yourself, getting it steam pressed at a dry cleaners will make the pleat stay in place for much, much longer. I used to do this when I had to wear a work uniform with stupid pleats.

• Like 2

Green Sage

Take it to a dry cleaners, pay them to hem it and press it afterwards, it’s a worthwhile investment. They get the best pleats ever, and they last

Arthur or Martha

Take it to a dry cleaners, pay them to hem it and press it afterwards, it’s a worthwhile investment. They get the best pleats ever, and they last

Dry cleaners don't necessarily do alterations. So if you did go that route you could still have to take it up.

I'd pin it the amount you want to take it up, matching the existing pleat lines as you take pin it, and check it looks okay on the child. Then stitch and press. When you press do the right side first then turn inside out and press the inside