Sign in to follow this  
MadMarchMasterchef

silent reflux symptoms or growth spurt?

MadMarchMasterchef

DS is 9 months old. When a newborn he had a lot of the symptoms of silent reflux - arching and crying on breast, not sleeping when laying flat only on an incline, and I could hear him do a vomit and swallow in his throat quite often.

He was put on losec and successfully been breastfed up to this point. Doing well with solids although I think the volume of solids should increase - he wont let me spoon feed him he wants to feed himself but 2/3 of it goes everywhere.

Anyway we stopped losec about a month ago as the symptoms had gotten so much better and the doctor was against being on it for too long. DS is also standing a lot so upright a lot more.

Just the last couple of weeks hes been wanting to feed a lot more and very unsettled overnight, waking constantly and his day naps have gone back to catnapping. He arches his head back a fair bit but not really while feeding, I occasionally hear him chuck-swallow but rarely.

So I guess Im after other peoples experience with losec at this age . Hes getting a lot of teeth through and is very energetic - almost walking. He's 60%ile weight and 80% height.

I suppose Ill try to up his solids first and go from there but interested to hear what others did. My older DD also had reflux and we cut her losec out at around 7-8 months and she was fine afterward.

too tired to care

I had one child free of reflux by 12months, but the other two still have reflux at 6 and 9 so it doesn't always go away. I would speak to your GP again and get a referral to a paediatric gastro as they are really the best ones to determine if it is still reflux or if it is food/ gut related.

• Like 1

MadMarchMasterchef

Oh good point on the foods I hadn't thought of that as my other 2 don't have any allergies to anything and I hadn't noticed him reacting to anything specific but I know it can be instant or take a few days so its hard to work out.

GingerbreadWoman

My DD was on losec until close to 12 months and GP had no concerns about continuing for longer if needed. But she didn’t have silent reflux, she regularly vomitted, so it was much more obvious when she didn’t need the losec anymore if that makes sense.

In terms of trying to up the solids my very independent child who wanted to feed herself was happy if I used two spoons and I put the food on the spoon, then put it down on her high chair tray and she would put it in her mouth. Two spoons were required so she could hold one at all times! And so the food came faster.

The irritability and disrupted sleep you are describing sounds tough, I hope it resolves soon.

too tired to care

For feeding themselves have you looked up baby led weaning? I found it great and there was very little mess.

Ellie bean

My dd needed losec till over 2, we were able to wean ds earlier but Dd really needed it. My husband still needs nexium at 40 (and will for the rest of his life) so not everyone grows out of it!

MadMarchMasterchef

For feeding themselves have you looked up baby led weaning? I found it great and there was very little mess.

We are pretty much BLW. I did start on purees at 5 months for the reflux but switched over to finger foods pretty quickly. I just find that I dont think hes actually consuming that much food and this could be the cause of why he has upped his breastfeeds again. Or it could be dropping the losec, the teething or the excessive heat at the moment :( Or maybe a leap - I don't really pay much attention to those LOL

Edited by PoolsideMasterchef

MadMarchMasterchef

Just an update / question on this (not sure how to change the title)

DS has been better today so I might assume it was heat or teething causing the unsettledness a few days ago.

But hes been really chucky the last couple of days. Can that be a side effect of coming off losec? I know it changes the acidity of the stomach but doesn't in theory stop them chucking...

GingerbreadWoman

The way my GP explained it when my DD started losec, was that the losec wouldn’t reduce or change the chucking, but it would reduce the associated discomfort because the vomit wasn’t as acidic. And that was our experience, she still vomited frequently, but was happier and more settled.

So I wouldn’t have thought stopping losec would result in more vomit? But I am answering based on a sample size of one so may be wrong!

If he isn’t normally a chunky baby could he have had a mild virus?

• Like 3

Ellie bean

I wouldn’t think no losec would mean more vomit either. Other than having a virus like pp said, only thing I can think of is might he be intolerant to any of the solids? That’s really a guess though.

Could you trial him with Mylanta (or whichever one is child friendly- I’ve forgotten sorry) and see if that helps with the other symptoms, it might give you an indication whether or not this is reflux related?

• Like 1

PocketIcikleflakes

My ds took two or three attempts at coming off losec. He would have been I year old I think. Teething and colds also irritated everything more even when he was otherwise better though.

I agree with the others to be vigilant about food intolerances. Plus my ds and DD had their adenoids taken out and the ENT, at the time said that enlarged adenoids, tonsils or ear issues can agitate reflux and silent reflux due to the extra dripping that can be associated with those things. My ENT wouldn't consider controlled reflux a reason for doing surgery but it can be part of figuring out of the tonsils etc are causing problems along with other symptoms. So it's worth remembering in the future possibly.

• Like 1