Iliketoflounce

FYOS and feeling overwhelmed

Iliketoflounce

So my 5 yo is starting prep tomorrow and he is very excited but today he has been playing up.

I asked him how he was feeling and couldn't explained so we did some emotion charts and talks we discovered he was overwhelmed by starting school.

I understand this is new and different but I have no idea how to help him. Does anyone know how to help his emotions while he gets used to school and changes?

I am also feeling overwhelmed with getting ready for his FYOS

seayork2002

When DS started FYOS we went through the basics of where the toilets were, the Fyos classrooms, the canteen and library

showed him what went where in his bag and checked he could open his sandwich box and i think that was it

José

What do you- and he- mean by overwhelmed?

Anxious? Excited?

If you're doing emotion charts and talks how did you end up at overwhelmed? Im not sure thats actually an emotion. What emotions actually came up?

Can he articulate any better his concerns.

In part it might be the unknown- which will quickly become the known!

Id reassure that you will pick him up at the end of the day and that his teacher is there to help. Id encourage him to ask any questions he has.

Did he ever attend day care? Did he like it? Can you use anything from that experience?

Not Escapin Xmas

Try not to worry too much. It will all sort itself out tomorrow.

My 8yo DD has been having tantrums each evening for a few days. She's always a bit anxious but frankly Wednesday can't come soon enough in this household!

Caribou

Try not to worry too much. It will all sort itself out tomorrow.

My 8yo DD has been having tantrums each evening for a few days. She's always a bit anxious but frankly Wednesday can't come soon enough in this household!

This. I get it’s a big momental rite of passage for both child and parent but when it comes to it, it’s mostly parents you overthinking it. Step back don’t push it too much. His teacher is used to FYOS and will have plenty of fun things for him to do. If you ask him too much about it you will only fuel his anxiety about it. He’s feeling your worries rather than his.

Have a celebratory night with ice cream or something and tell him he’s going to enjoy school.

• Like 1

PuddingPlease

I'd just focus on fun distractions for the rest of today. Tomorrow will come pretty soon and then I imagine he'll then be able to take the day as it comes. My daughter starts FYOS on Thursday so I have some sort of activity planned every day leading up to it just to keep everyone busy and distracted. By weeks end they'll all be little schoolkids!

• Like 1

Iliketoflounce

Forgot to come and update. We are almost at the end of the first term. He has done so well except he is at a grade 1 level for most things so gets bored easily. His teacher is great and has made an extra set of work so he can stay occupied while she works with the rest of the class