Ozquoll

COVID-19 coronavirus

Ozquoll
Edited by Ozquoll
  • Like 1

purplekitty

I've no doubt that the Chinese Government is censoring and withholding information about the outbreak.

Worrying is Trump has defunded the very agencies who monitored and react to biological outbreaks,

• Like 8

AsperHacker

I don't have the ability to think globally, yet. And I'm not one for *hysteria*. But, I'm very slightly concerned about potentially infected travellers entering Australia. I'm anticipating my concern to increase as I learn more. Based on previous experience, I'm going to go with yes. It's going to be a pandemic. China is not known for its disclosure.

• Like 1

Demera

When I first saw the story on tv and they showed all the effort China was putting in to research and contain it, but that it hadn't transferred human to human, my bullsh*t radar went off immediately. I'm quite sure they already knew it was going from person to person and the outbreak was far worse than they were letting on. So it was no surprise to hear a few days later that it was going human to human.

I hope they contain it soon but I'm genuinely worried it will get to Australia.

Edited by Demera
  • Like 7

born.a.girl

I can't help but be impressed at them shutting down a city the size of Wuhan, but also acknowledge that Chinese media would be way down on the list of countries whose media I'd trust.

I can't begin to imagine the chaos this is causing to many of those affected.

I do find it easy to believe what they say, that at this stage those who've died have had co-mobidities, which would be similar to flu seasons here, excluding the last few.

If significant % of those infected die, when they were otherwise healthy, it will be truly frightening.

Between smoke and infection, I did wonder if wearing a mask was going to become so commonplace as to be the norm.

• Like 3

WaitForMe

Based on what I've read so far, it does sound like they are withholding info but are more forthcoming than previously - so they've improved but not perfect.

gracie1978

The timing with the new year celebrations is terrible.

If it was the other way around China would have banned all flight arrivals from Australia.

Between the measles cases popping up, the fires and now this... It's a scary time to have newborn babies :(

skicat

Are the numbers of dead kept relatively low simply because the chinese doctors over there aren't "allowed" to give the diagnosis of coronovirus?

born.a.girl

When I first saw the story on tv and they showed all the effort China was putting in to research and contain it, but that it hadn't transferred human to human, my bullsh*t radar went off immediately. I'm quite sure they already knew it was going from person to person and the outbreak was far worse than they were letting on. So it was no surprise to hear a few days later that it was going human to human.

I hope they contain it soon but I'm genuinely worried it will get to Australia.

The non-Chinese expert speaking on the Guardian said exactly the same thing: that originally it was thought (hoped) that everyone who had it, had caught it directly from animals - not an unreasonable assumption I'd have thought with a virus that doesn't even have a name.

Much as I don't trust what we hear coming out of China, that doesn't mean that everything they say is untruthful.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/24/coronavirus-chinese-hospitals-in-chaos-as-lockdown-spreads-to-affect-25m-people

**Xena**

4 of the Australian people tested have come back negative which is good. Queensland researchers are working on a vaccine which I found pretty cool. They seem pretty confident that they will have one in a few months so I hope it's true.

• Like 4

laridae

I think it will be ok, well, at least for us in an isolated part of Australia. Must be horrible for those people in Wuhan though. I hope they come up with a vaccine soon.

seayork2002

I wonder they they need to say how many are being tested unless they are positive of having it, does it benefit anyone saying '20 tested in Nsw' (made up example).

Sure if 20 people actually have it

• Like 1

bubskitkat

27 have died but is that the true figure? One needs to question if all those whom have been affected have sough medical treatment and diagnosis. The true figure could be a lot higher.

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle

As much as I think the North Koeran leadership is absolutely nuts, the decision to close the borders ( they mainly have Chinese tourists anyway) is absolutely the right one. They don't have the resources to deal with an outbreak.

• Like 1

Dadto2

Anyone else wondering if this is going to be the big one, a global pandemic? China has now locked down a number of cities, with populations totalling about 35 million people. They are building a 1000 bed hospital, due to be completed in only ten days. So far there have been 26 deaths from around 800 people infected.

Not sure whether to be glad the Chinese government is tackling this illness vigorously, or to wonder if they are taking these drastic steps because it is actually more serious than they are letting on

https://www.news.com...f5edb50ac4967e4

Yeah it's a bit scary. Highly contagious, a doctor caught it through his eyes as he wasn't wearing eye protection.

Ozquoll

I wonder they they need to say how many are being tested unless they are positive of having it, does it benefit anyone saying '20 tested in Nsw' (made up example).

Sure if 20 people actually have it

Word always gets out anyhow - the authorities probably deem it better to tell the public what is going on.

3rd time lucky
  • Like 2

Dadto2

Can’t figure out if it’s worse than China are admitting, or if it’s a complete media overreaction ‍♀️

The fact China is locking down entire cities is pretty concerning!

IamzFeralz

The fact China is locking down entire cities is pretty concerning!

It’s actually a smart move. Chinese New Year involves the largest mass movement of humans in the world as many people return to home towns and villages for family gatherings. You can imagine how much impact the virus would have in those conditions.

• Like 5

~Jolly_F~

The building a hospital in 10 days specifically for this is why has me thinking this is way worse than they are letting on.

• Like 11

AnythingGoes

The official death rate is 3% (as of yesterday with 26 deaths in 830 acknowledged cases). Compared with 1% for seasonal flu.

However it's too early to get a good idea of the actual death rate - it's too early into the outbreak.

Ozquoll

Obviously it’s new therefore a lot still unknown, but not actually a high death rate compared to say the standard flu. And so far reports are those dying are elderly/ vulnerable. (Not to say those lives aren’t important - but obviously a disease is more frightening if it kills healthy youngish adults??)

Actually it is higher than ordinary flu - scroll down to the second last chart on this link showing flu deaths and infections in Australia in 2016 and 2017. In both years the mortality rate for people infected with flu was about 0.5%.

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/by%20Subject/3303.0~2017~Main%20Features~Deaths%20due%20to%20influenza~5

This article has a discussion on how it compares with the devastating 1918 flu pandemic.

https://fox61.com/2020/01/23/verify-headlines-comparing-the-coronavirus-to-spanish-flu-are-missing-context/

Ozquoll