bluemama

Son hitting others at daycare- they want to reduce days

blimkybill

I looked up their policies and there was a mention of them access to KU inclusion support which they can apply for if things don't get better maybe that could be an option

How would it work? Has anyone had experience with this?

Inclusion support is designed to provide extra help to a centre to support children with identified additional needs. Accessing this is the job of the centre, not the parent. It's a complex process which some centres seem to find too hard. Also usually some evidence of a developmental problem is needed, such as a diagnosed disability or having an NDIS plan.

From your end, I would be getting a language and developmental assessment to see if there are some underlying difficulties for your son. Most states have some kind of public program which can do this. Just checking his language and general development. There might possibly be something going on (or there might not but it's worth checking). Depending on where you live you might also be able to get some help in how to guide your son to manage his emotions better.

twin2

How upsetting for you. I had a child like this and the centre were fantastic at getting help for him. I would be asking for a meeting with the director and requesting they apply for inclusion support. My DS did not have a diagnosis when they first applied but he was attending early intervention which i do believe was a factor in helping them access inclusion support for him.

It may also be beneficial to look at getting extra help for your child. Maybe an OT (to work on regulation) or a speech therapist to help with his language issues.

I know this is hard and i cried so many tears desperate to help him and the centre.

A good centre will work with you and your child

Good luck

• Like 2

Bearynice

Right. I think you need to call up and book in a meeting with the centre director for next pick up time.

Find out from the director what is going on and ask to see the documentation of the incidents.

Explain to the director that it is very short notice to have days suddenly dropped and that it isn’t enough notice.

Ask the director what you can do to help?

Ask if they have access to anything that may support your son? ( eg. Access to language assessment or able to get more detailed observations together)

Find out what they think is triggering the behaviour.

Explain to them that you are willing to support your son but just need a bit more info to assist this.

I would look at booking your son for hearing assessment, language assessment and go from there.

• Like 5

rowsmum

The centre should have policies on how it deals with behavioural matters, and these policies should outline the responses to incidents - including withdrawal of child from the service.

Ask to see the Director and all the incident reports - you should have been asked to sign these reports each time something happened.

Definitely see your GP for referral to OT or psych, and remember to look after yourself. If your workplace has an EAP program remember you can access counselling for yourself for non-work issues.

• Like 1

Charli73

My DS was in long day care 4 days and he would act the same, they asked me to reduce days and I couldn’t. We had some inclusion support and she shadowed him.

Would looking for a smaller quieter family day care centre work better? I wish I had done this for my DS..

gracie1978

What a nightmare situation for you OP.

I think you night need to speak to your GP for some referrals, your son may need to be assessed.

In the very short term can you pay a private OT to go in?

We were having a few daycare issues about three years ago and a few in class sessions in there really helped. The OT coached the staff through how to better manage his frustration. It was mostly related to bring physically so much larger than the other kids and his severe expressive language delay.

The notice given to you from the daycare is unacceptable, particularly as a single parent.

ABabyPlease

The short notice is totally unacceptable. No one could manage this within a week without significant additional support.

I don't have any other advice but at the very least, you need time to find somewhere else.

bluemama

Just a quick update

I have spoken to daycare and told them reducing days is not going to work for me and they agreed. We have come up with some strategies for his behaviour which will also cross into at home as well

The biggest thing is I suggested the idea of inclusion support and it has been approved and someone will be coming into observe him in a few weeks so I guess that's a positive step hopefully in the right direction

Thanks everyone for your advice, feeling a little better now

• Like 10