Sign in to follow this  
newmumandexcited

Is this consistent with your ADHD child? Or is it the age?

newmumandexcited

My son is just five and thankfully starting first year of school. He is very attentive to things - like tours around places etc - but comments endlessly to teachers and directors of events, or asks a lot of (related) questions. I find it so embarrassing sometimes and I’m wondering if he has adhd. We are probably very/overly communicative with the kids and he maybe hasn’t learnt boundaries of when to speak etc but I’m just not sure. He does take things on board and actually learns what is being taught.

He is also physically very runny, jumpy etc and quite unco. He’s quite tall and long/beanpole-like and seems kind of ungainly.

I’m wondering if this is seriously something to worry about or just an age thing? Eb, school holidays are killing me.

Edited by newmumandexcited

Expelliarmus

None of that seems ADHD-like to me. He sounds like a normal, inquisitive child in the middle of a growth spurt. Hopefully he will really enjoy school.

• Like 8

José

It's really hard to tell from your post!

I think i would be in close contact with school about what they think about his motor skills and attentional abilities.

bubskitkat

He is very attentive to things

My ASD/ADHD son was never attentive to things. His mind was so over stimulated that he could not be.

He only learned to talk once on medication.

When in doubt always seek professional advice.

JoanJett

It seems like your main concern is that he is talkative? And perhaps a little physically active? But he's just 5, hasn't been in school yet..... If it helps, he sounds nothing like my child with ADHD at 5.

It sounds like maybe you're a little anxious about how he is going to manage in the school environment, where the expectations are different from home. You could talk to him about turn-taking, raising your hand, staying seated etc - all the expectations of school. But I have no doubt that his teacher will be setting all those limits and expectations in his first year of school.

I would personally see how he goes at school, keep in contact with his teacher and if problems are raised/identified, take it from there.

If it helps, here is a link to what ADHD is and what the presenting symptoms are. The symptoms are sometimes very different depending on what subtype of ADHD a child has.

https://www.additudemag.com/what-is-adhd-symptoms-causes-treatments/

And if you are unsure/have concerns, see your health provider to discuss.

• Like 2

PrincessPeach

See how he goes first term at school.

It could fit the profile of ADHD, but it could also just be him.

• Like 1

newmumandexcited

Thank you all - that’s very reassuring. I’ll see how he goes at school - probably my mum nerves.

• Like 1

wanting3

Hi OP, Your child sounds like a very inquisitive and thoughtful child, asking questions in context, of the people he believes are the most versed on the subject. My ADHD child was also full of questions and 'jumpy' at that stage, but it is the behaviour away from this that i would suggest is more in tune with what an ADHD child would be like. Eg, does your child come home from such events full of energy, but then turn this around to be confronting and unthoughtful? Are they prone to outbursts of emotion like anger and rage, and unable to regulate these emotions?

In context our day would look like this

Lots of questions, lots of physical stimulation, more questions, more physical stimulus, structured meal times, ending in physical and emotional outbursts at the end of the day.

I thought 'getting all of the energy expelled' during the day would help during the night, but instead I was over stimulating. It was hard for my child to contain the emotions and social norms during our interactions, and these frustrations were then coming back at me during the evenings.

If your child is just curious and has none of the above mentioned other affects of this curiosity, I would say they would most likely not be an ADHD child.

FWIW, I would take on board the fact your child is so curious and stimulate this. If he asks questions, even if they are embarrassing, answer them to the best of your ability being sensitive to the subject and if needed google it. Better to teach them to be open to new ideas and research, than to be oblivious to the world around them.

• Like 1

marley*and*me

My son was either inattentive or hyper focused - there was never an inbetween. Tours, unless through a motorbike factory would have been impossible.

My dd who most certainly does not have ADHD asks questions excessively. My ADHD son never asks questions, unless it is something he is interested in, like bikes, scooters, box racing, tractors, etc.

and some kids are just plain uncoordinated. Just ask me how I know. Catching a ball is not something we can all do!

Talk to his teacher when school goes back and ask for feedback. It my my sons teacher who first made me aware of my sons issues,.

Edited by marley*and*me
  • Like 1

newmumandexcited

Thank you all. Never any rage or anger.

I feel so much better - I think I was just a bit overwhelmed with his questions. I’ll chat to his kindy teachers if necessary.

• Like 1

Prancer is coming

For an ADHD diagnosis, the behaviour needs to be seen in 2 settings, such as home and school. So I would see how he goes at school this year and take it from there. It is ok to be vigilant. I had one DS diagnosed a little too late so was very vigilant with my younger one who I was pretty sure was as well, but did give him time at school and to be a bit older to see if that helped. Sharing my concerns with the teacher was helpful as I had 2 different ones thst went from not being concerned at the start of the year, to agreeing with me by the end.

My ADHD combined middle child was the only one thst would sit for story time at the library. My eldest with no diagnosis and my youngest with ADHD would be climbing on chairs or not Interested. He would also make lots of comments to the story teller and would make a lot of comments resulting in me shushing him. Whilst this behaviour may be annoying to others, it actually meant my son was really engaged in the book/topic, which is a good thing!

my ADHD kids are very coordinated. They would need to be given they climb on the roof, jump off things and love to climb....

• Like 1

Chazonator

At that age my adhd child wouldn't really ask alot of questions unless it was related to something of interest and even then he'd move onto something else mid conversation! Lots of energy, wasn't focused enough to sit long enough on the floor for story time etc at kinder, would get simple tasks to do of which he'd start off enthusiastically with but then he'd get sidetracked with something else and run out of the room!

Sleep was also another factor and still is as his room has to be quite dark to initiate it along with melatonin. Before this he just wouldn't fall asleep he'd continue to wake up his siblings he'd even call out saying he was bored!