Teah

PCOS and the pill regarding weight loss!?!

Teah

Hi ladies,

Ok so I have just had my third bub in three yrs and needless to say my body ain't bouncing back! Periods are about 9wks apart and I'm planning on starting the pill as soon as my next cycle starts, however I'm worried that it will cause me to gain weight???

I'm trying my best to lose weight and I feel that if I was more regular and my hormones were balanced that it will help with weight loss but then on the flip side I've heard it causes weight gain???? Is this true??? Google says it's not.......

And has anyone got any good tips to lose weight with PCOS??

Tia

AdelTwins

PCOS here. The pill has always made me maintain weight. I gain without it.

I have to log all food and exercise in My Fitness Pal to loose weight.

• Like 1

eigne

I’ve had success with intermittent fasting. I don’t have PCOS but I do have polycystic ovaries.

Froyo

I know a few people dx with PCOS who've had success with the CSIRO diet.

• Like 1

PipPop

I have PCOS. The only thing that worked for me (and I tried most things) was eating low carb/keto. It was a total life changer for me.

K.heather

I have PCOS and was put on Metformin which is also a diabetic med.

• Like 1

Teah

I also find low carb no sugar more protein is a game changer. So hard with three little ones.

Teah

Adele twins - so your saying that even with a strict diet plan and on the pill the weight did not shift?? Your couldn't lose weight or you maintained a healthy weight? Or you couldn't lose any weight? Thanks

*Andi*

I have PCOS and put weight on with the pill. Intermittent fasting has been great for me with weight loss! I started with 16:8 then moved onto 5:2, total game-changer.

• Like 1

onyxmoon

I gained weight on one pill then maintained it on another but could never lose weight, even fasting and low carb.

I was having breakthrough bleeding and I gave up on the pill and got a Mirena and have never looked back!

I lost weight with the Mirena - my sex drive went up and I felt like a better human being.

It doesn't really treat any of the effects of the PCOS - the hair and the pimples. But I found they were much better controlled with a weight of 75kg (BMI of 24) rather than 90+kg (BMI 29) with the pill.

And laser hair removal is so easy...

Teah

I have PCOS and put weight on with the pill. Intermittent fasting has been great for me with weight loss! I started with 16:8 then moved onto 5:2, total game-changer.

Can I ask what you eat when not fasting? Thinking I could give this a go.

MissMilla

I have PCOS. Tried 5 different pills over the years. They all made me gain like crazy.

Its different for everyone though, your body might react differently.

• Like 1

AdelTwins

Adele twins - so your saying that even with a strict diet plan and on the pill the weight did not shift?? Your couldn't lose weight or you maintained a healthy weight? Or you couldn't lose any weight? Thanks

I’ll maintain my weight (healthy or overweight) on the pill. When I’m off the pill I tend to overeat and the weight slowly creeps on. On the pill my appetite seems to stabilize and I do not need to diet.

If I want to loose weight I have to log all the food I eat and exercise. But once I’m at a healthy weight I can just take the pill and that seems to keep my hormones in balance.

Weight loss is always slow and consistent here (1-2kg) month.

• Like 1

NeedSleepNow

After my third baby, I couldn’t get the weight off no matter what I did. I tried everything from IF to keto to punishing exercises and F45 challenges. Being on the pill and implanon made no difference. I put up with it for about 15 months, but had started to gain weight by then. I went to the Dr and was put on metformin: progress has been slow-ish, but through 2019 I lost about 8kg without any effort. I was exhausted from 15 months of really intense effort, so I just let myself eat normally