babybug15

Balloon induction

babybug15

I've been asked to consider a balloon catheter induction, should I need to be induced as I had a previous c-section and very bad reactions to the chemical induction.

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with this? From my reading it seems a bit "hit & miss" if it will actually work, and having to go through the process for 15 hours before contractions may or may not kick in, seems a little full on (though labour is I guess!) Be interested in hearing about experiences or any general information about it.

onetrick

I had one with my DS as I was experiencing reduced movements.

It is literally exactly as it sounds they put a balloon thing inside you and inflate and that puts pressure on your cervix. It also is incredibly uncomfortable and made me go to the toilet a LOT. I was one of the lucky (??) ones who it worked pretty quickly for and it came out when I went to the toilet in the middle of the night and meant I was 4cm dilated... unfortunately, though labour kicked in from then on, I didnt progress any further for far too long (um, 13 hours?). Reading before and after this seems to have been an unusual situation, so it doesnt mean it will be the same for you.

Like everything in pregnancy and labour, s much as it sucked, I'd do it all again this time if its needed to ensure a safe birth for my next bub (and me!). Happy to answer other questions if you want to PM me?

• Like 1

Jelly11
  • Like 1

ckmelb

I had one and it wasn't successful in getting labour going. It was put in at about 8pm and I found it very uncomfortable and it made me - TMI - poo a lot (like 4 times in 2 hours and I had already been that day). I also found it hard to sleep but that was probably because I was being induced in hospital! They eventually took a bit of the water out (apparently my OB overfills them) and I then was able to sleep a few hours.

The next day I had my waters broken and had the IV drip for about 15 hours before I called it quits and had a C section.

I think my baby was just very comfortable where she was and had no plans coming out that day

• Like 1

Soontobegran

They work very much better if your cervix is favourable. The failure rate is high if you are attempting to insert it through a closed and posterior uneffaced cervix so I'd be asking your Obstetrician what yours 'looks like'.

They are just a Foley catheter just the same as used for urinary drainage. They are filled with 30 mls of sterile water and they can be very uncomfortable for a lot of women.

I have seen them work well in the women who are already 'ripe' and ready.

• Like 1

babybug15

Thanks everyone for your comments- it's been very useful.

They work very much better if your cervix is favourable. The failure rate is high if you are attempting to insert it through a closed and posterior uneffaced cervix so I'd be asking your Obstetrician what yours 'looks like'.

I raised this with my midwife, given last time they couldn't do a "stretch and sweep" at 41 weeks. She said similar to you that if they can't get it in because the cervix is closed, it's not really an option and they won't be able to tell until then.

Mum of a miracle

I had one.

They put it in about 6pm then I was meant to go up to the delivery suite at at 9am but there were a heap of emergencies so went up at 12pm apparently I had dilated but waters were still intact they broke my waters by 2pm contractions were in full force and was holding my son at 3:55pm so worked very quickly for me.

• Like 1

the abc

I had one. No pain or discomfort. Nothing really happened though. No contractions. Ended up having a c section

• Like 1

sa5h

I had one used in the induction for my daughter.

I was 41+0 at the time and I think quite close to going into labour on my own (having regular but very mild contractions).

Went from 0cm dilated at midnight to 3-4cm dilated at 9am when they removed it and broke my waters. It wasn’t the most comfortable thing, not exactly painful but had lots of cramps that were comparable to a heavy period day all night with it in.

It wasn’t enough on its own to get labour going (at least not fast enough in the eyes of the Ob and hospital). I started a pitocin drip at about 11am and baby was born by 5pm that day without any issues.

I would accept the balloon catheter again if required in my current pregnancy.

• Like 1