Romeo Void

Yellow 'no parking' line on road

Romeo Void

The council have just called asking if we'd like a yellow line in front of our house. It's a small lane and there have been issues in the past with people being parked in. Recently 2 houses that were rentals (share houses with lots of cars) were sold to owner occupier and the car situation has calmed down.

I don't think I want a yellow line in front of our house. We're looking to sell soon, am I wrong in thinking it might put people off?

hills mum bec

It's going to restrict places where visitors to your house are able to park. That being said if it causes problems when people actually do park there then it does make sense to have a yellow line there.

• Like 3

#notallcats

So a yellow line means no parking at all? Or parking with a permit only?

I lived in a house that had permit parking (for residents), it was a real pain if you had more than two visitors, or even just two visitors if you used a permit yourself. Perhaps it was just our council, but they only gave us two permits.

Due to my experience, it would be a negative for me when looking at houses.

born.a.girl

Not sure what it would actually mean in VIc, but I wouldn't see it as a positive.

If you thought that the issues might return it would be worth it, but as you're leaving AND wanting to make your place appear as attractive as possible, no, I wouldn't.

melanieb530

It would put me off buying a property as I’d worry that my friends/family/visitors would have nowhere to park.

~LemonMyrtle~

id be all for it. We have a no standing zone over the road at school times, to help traffic flow, and we are on a normal suburban street. If i was on a laneway id definitely want half to be no standing. Id see it as a positive when buying a new house. Nothing worse than beign stuck in your driveway, or not having your bin collected because some twit has blocked everyone.

• Like 4

Freddie'sMum

My friend lives near a primary school. Even with yellow lines painted and school zone parking clearly marked, people park over her driveway and block access to her house. I am team yellow line !! Esp if the council can organise a ranger to enforce it.

seayork2002

It's going to restrict places where visitors to your house are able to park. That being said if it causes problems when people actually do park there then it does make sense to have a yellow line there.

This!

surprisebaby

We got one 1m either side of our driveway. best thing ever. Commuters parked in our street to get the bus and some idiots would park slightly over the driveway each side making it almost impossible to get out as there were also bright sparks parked directly opposite. Thank god the council made the whole street 2 hours limit last year so now its better again. It was actually something that put us off buying the house originally. We had to put cones out so the removalist truck could get in on moving day. ETA if people choose to ignore the lines (by a lot) I call council and they send out someone to ticket them.

Edited by surprisebaby

IamtheMumma

It would depend entirely on where the street was. Next to a school, train station, bus station or hospital then it is a great idea for time limited parking. But yellow lines are a pest. Our council has a no parking on the nature strip rule. I think its a dumb rule. Doesn't matter if its your house, you're not allowed to do it. So when a house in the street gets visitors, the street quickly becomes busy. There aren't any carparks nearby for visitors. Yellow lines would essentially spot street residents from having a social life.