IamOzgirl

Ready Set Go: Due in 2020

MissHLH

Go baby Gabbitz! Keep on growing.

Depends on where you work, and how much fight you have in you (if necessary), but if work becomes problematic about making reasonable adjustments, startt mentioning Australian Human Rights Commission and lawyer. Also, not sure if it would work, but could you take sick leave (even unpaid) to get to 33 weeks? You would still be counted as working (maybe, not sure with the unpaid - for my workplace it is (for a certain amount of time), but not sure that's widespread). Hopefully it's no problem, it isn't something you should need to be worrying about.

Not sure if I did feel baby move, but I feel the Braxton Hicks! Hopefully soon I'll feel movement more regularly... It still doesn't feel real, and I feel a bit funny thinking that I will have a baby.

I'm in Vic - seems like there aren't many places around for maternity gear. I bought some tops online, but I hate online shopping (I hate in person shopping too actually), and some are fine and some are huge! OzGirl - I sent you a PM, at least I thought I did... It disappeared into the ether!

Wonderstruck

Nervously dipping my toes in. Bloods came in at over 600 at 12p5dt today. I'm going to be a barrel of nerves until the first scan as I bled in early pregnancy with my daughter.

How is everyone?

MissHLH

It's so wonderful Wonderstruck, I thought those lines looked pretty good! Fingers-crossed you have a boring time of it!

Nothing much is happening with me, nausea is under control with just the occasional vomit. Pretty tired though - I thought the second trimester was meant to be the one where youhave the energy!

Gabbitz

Awesome Wonderstruck. So glad you’re joining us.

I hope you have an easy, boring pregnancy where nothing happens that shouldn’t!

I’m 27 weeks now and will officially be working from home as of next week. Work has agreed and my immediate manager is finding useful stuff I can do from home.

I had already handed in my mat leave docs about 2 weeks ago - theoretically I didn’t need to hand them in until 30 weeks, but given my history, I thought I’d be nice to them. I also applied for 2 years - same as what I did for my son. They weren’t happy with that, but agreed that considering the possibility of issues for bub, we might end up needing that time off anyway if bub has the surgeries that have been predicted. So I should be able to spend time with both kids.

MSDC

Congratulation Wonderstruck - that's great news!

I'm 19w3d and have an appointment with the midwife on Wednesday and then the 20 week scan on Friday.

Fingers crossed all goes well with that and then I might relax a little!

I can't wait for this roller coaster ride to be over and we have our baby girl safely in our arms...!

Pink opal

Hi all. After 5 rounds of IVF and a MMC last April, I am 17 weeks tomorrow. However I am having trouble believing it or feeling excited about it - much to my partners frustration, which is causing fights about her expectation that ‘this should be the happiest time of our lives’. I also haven’t told anyone yet, which is quickly becoming unsustainable and another source of tension/arguments (although I have caved and we have put some furniture etc on layby, as a compromise to try and stave off an argument). I just don’t feel Iike like I can let myself get attached to this baby - and I’m still not convinced that I will end up with a baby. Anyone else feeling this way? Is this normal or should I seek help for my anxiety?

MissHLH

Hi Pink Opal - I am 18 weeks today and feel very much the same way. I do see a psychologist, as I have mental health issues anyway, and she says it's very normal and the majority of people feel the same way. I guess it's a protective thing - if we don't feel excited, we won't feel as disappointed if something goes wrong. Which is not exactly true - if something went wrong we'd still be devastated - but it's a protective mechanism that we employ unconsciously.

I told many people earlier than I wanted (just due to my job - things I can't do, and planning for leave), and it gave me major anxiety. Every time. And there are still a few people to tell and I just don't want to (although I can't hide it much longer). So you're not alone. This doesn't mean it's not worth talking it through with someone (you can get a mental health plan from your GP, and you can get some sessions just for pregnancy), but you're not abnormal or alone!

Gabbitiz - I'm glad work is being reasonable. One less thing to worry about.

MsDC - I hope your scan is wonderful and that you can enjoy the rest of your pregnancy with a bit less stress. I'm guessing the stress never completely goes away!

• Like 1

MSDC

Totally understand how you're feeling Pink Opal - This is exactly how I feel and why I'm eager for the 20 week scan.

After trying for so long naturally and then IVF, to then falling naturally whilst waiting for AF to arrive so I could start another round of IVF... It all feels too good to be true!

My DP and family are all over the moon and I'm over here just taking each day as it comes!!

Hopefully once you have your 20 week scan and have everything confirmed to be where it should, you might feel better...!

Gabbitz

Pink Opal, I think it is very normal for women who’ve had to go through any assisted conception especially when there’s been disappointment along that path.

However, despite it being normal, if it’s starting to cause strain between you and your partner, I would suggest counselling might be really helpful. They can give you strategies to help find joy in each small milestone as you get there perhaps and maybe even ideas for your partner to support you. Both can hopefully also then help when bub arrives because that’s a pretty stressful time too.

I think everyone has different reactions to being pregnant. There’s nothing wrong with finding it hard to get your head around it.

318359_1592215302

Hi All

I’m nervous to say I’d love to join this group too. I’m 7w tomorrow and have a scan Saturday which I’m super anxious about as I feel like it’s not really real. This was my 4th round for IVF, first I overstimulated with 47 eggs, 2nd (a week and a half later) we got pregnant but I had a missed miscarriage and found out at almost 11 weeks (most likely miscarried at 8 weeks), 3rd didn’t work and now success. I’ve been spotting a little (they think due to pessaries...love those things) so am super nervous about the whole thing really. I’m in awe you girls are able to “hide” pregnancies for so long, IVF has put on massive amounts of weight!!

Gabbitz

Congratulations OWLS. That’s awesome news. Hopefully everything will go smoothly from here. The first little bit is all a bit surreal, especially with difficulties previously. I hope your scan on Saturday is incredible!

Gabbitz

Just doing my GTT. Not a huge fan of the drink you have to get down. Slight dizziness from the no breakfast and the sugar hit from the drink. Ah well. Hopefully it shows I don’t have gestational diabetes. Not sure when I get the results.

MissHLH

Hi OWLS, I have to admit it still doesn't feel real. Good luck with the scan.

Gabbitz - good luck with the GTT, hopefully no diabetes! I have to go for the test next week, and have the doctors appointment the next day, so you can probably get the results really quickly.

AFM - I'm measuring 5 weeks ahead (~24 weeks, I'm not yet 19 weeks). So going for an early GTT next week. Hopefully nothing is worng, but it seems like gestational diabetes is one of the least worst outcomes... Feeling a little low.

Wonderstruck

I'm sorry you're feeling low Miss HLH. My DD measured a few weeks ahead the whole pregnancy. No GD just a big bubba.

Gabbitz hope the GTT wasn't too torturous.

I'm just really anxious. With DD I had bleeding just before my 7 week scan and then again at 9 and 12 weeks. So am waiting to see blood or for something to go wrong.

Trying to be positive but feeling like I'm jinxing things by buying so maternity clothes but it seems I need them. I've popped even though I'm only 5 weeks (I think - clinic said due date 9 Nov but my transfer was 19 Feb so I think I'm actually due 6 Nov).

I've moved my scan to 21 Mar as Saturday is easier and have a thyroid check up next week with my endo as I have hashimotos disease.

The next 2 weeks to scan and then 5 weeks to 12 week scan will kill me...

Gabbitz

Hi Wonderstruck,

Sorry to hear you’re finding it tough. It seems everything related to this process is a waiting game, all the way along. Wondering if your FS might be willing to give you an extra check in between those scans because of your history. My gynaecologist did a 9 wk one too because I’d had a hematoma form and break during my first pregnancy, so they wanted to check everything was all good. That helped me heaps because I was nervous during our first trimester too.

Miss HLH, sorry to hear you’re feeling low. Was it just that they’ve indicated bub is big that might be GD that caused you to feel low? If so, I’m not sure if this will help - during my first pregnancy we were told all along that DS was just above average, but when born he was 25th percentile. We got told when we asked, that the bubs position really impacts the accuracy of the measurement. DS spent most of his time transverse and supposedly that is the most inaccurate direction they can measure. Not sure why. I know GD can cause bub to be bigger than average, so I really hope they can rule that out for you, but it could also be that bubs position isn’t helpful.

Even if positive, they can really help with diet and stuff to keep GD in check.

All in all though, I hope you don’t have it!

For the test though, try to make sure you have something to do while waiting. You get a blood test at the start, another 1 at 1hr and the last one at 2hrs. Kind of boring waiting time!

Wonderstruck
Posted (edited)

Thanks Gabbitz. I have an OB appointment on 25 March and he does a basic (old school machine) ultrasound each visit so that helps a little. Last time any time there was a little bleed I'd come in and he'd scan me.

This time my old OB will see me most visits but isn't delivering anymore so I'm meeting his colleague for the first visit (Mine is away until mid April anyway) and probably see his colleague a few times too get acquainted so will discuss with him.

Great idea to chat to the OB about these concerns straight up. From memory I had an appointment between 7 weeks and the 12 week scan too. Just got to pass the next 2 weeks.

I decided at my 6 week post delivery check any future kids would be planned Caesar as I had a long labour which stalled, Needed induction drugs and waters broken after spontaneous labour ended in an emergency Caesar as she was just too big and ended in a 2.5L hemmorage and transfusions.

I guess there is a lot of history there and post birth DD was a severe reflux and allergy kid and i was brushed off for so long so the whole last experience was so tough that Im hoping for a better experience this time.

This weekend I have a big weekend of home inspections, a baby shower and DDs swimming lessons to keep me busy.

Edited by Wonderstruck

MissHLH

Hi Wonderstruck - soo much waiting. I hope the next two weeks don't drag too much, and I think Gabbitiz's suggestion to ask for an extra scan is a good one. Try to beleive if there's no indication anything is wrong then there probably isn't. Easier said than done. But buying comfortable clothes isn't going to cause anything bad to happen. (I know you already know that).

Wonderstruck and Gabbitiz - thanks for the reassurance. Hopefully I'm just gestating a giant who's lying funny. But each time I've seen the doctor she's commented on how big I am. My uterus is about 4cm above my belly button. If it is GD then that's better than some of the other reasons to be measuring big... I'll do the test on Thursday (I'll recharge the kindle before I go!) and see the doctor the next day. It's then 2 weeks to my 20w scan... I know it won't be the end of the world, but I feel guilty with everything I eat right now.

Wonderstruck

Hang in there Miss HLH. People commented a lot about me and even my doctor said to eat simply. I actually didn't put on that much weight...maybe 12kg up but I was petite and she was a big baby - she's more of hubbies build.

Bring stuff to keep entertained and find a comfortable chair.

Thanks for the kind words. I thought I'd be less anxious than last time...

Gabbitz

Yay - Diabetes ruled out for me!

Boo - my iron levels are ridiculously low. I’m booked in for an iron infusion on Thursday. Yet another hurdle!

But bub is still growing which is good. I’m 28 weeks, so closer to where they want me to get to.

1 day at a time, 1 hurdle at a time.

I’m glad I’m working from home though, as it means I can fit work around all these appointments that keep getting thrown at me. I just need to fit 3 days worth of work into my week! Shouldn’t be too hard, surely!

Gabbitz

Oh - yeah and the other hurdle, my DS has come down with Hand, foot & mouth from childcare, so he can’t go to childcare at the moment, so I’m trying to work around him too!

Wonderstruck

Boo for the iron. If you need an ongoing supplement, Maltofer is the most gentle on the tummy as DDs gastro paed recommends it.

I took 2 Ferro grad tabs a day last pregnancy as I found out I was badly anemic at the GTT too blerg!

I'm irrationally paranoid about this pregnancy as I don't have MS yet and felt miserable with DD.

Gah can't wait for the 7 week scan to help me relax a little.

Wonderstruck

Oh - yeah and the other hurdle, my DS has come down with Hand, foot & mouth from childcare, so he can’t go to childcare at the moment, so I’m trying to work around him too!

My DD is home from child care is home sick from day care too and working from home! The joys lol

MissHLH

Gabbitiz - yay for no GD! And extra yay for Baby Gabbitiz growing nice and big. Too bad about the iron, but an infusion is not so bad in the scheme of things. HFM is probably worse! Your poor son.

Wonderstruck - there is still plenty of time for the morning sickness to kick in! I know I did an extra HPT in the meantime - the darker line (just any line really!) made me feel better. You've got this!

I did the GTT this morning and only nearly threw up in the waiting room - that's a win! Crossing my fingers it's negative and I get to do the test again at the normal time.

Wonderstruck

Fingers crossed MissHLH.

I had a second HCG done 4 days after the last one so it was 621 and then 2551 so I think it is ok thus far. Saw my endocrinologist who adjusted my thyroid meds as it always goes whacky in pregnancy today.

Just got to keep busy for the next 11 days till scan on 21 March.

MissHLH

Those numbers are looking good!