~*Lou*~

Need suggestions for one week holiday in July

~*Lou*~

DH and I have leave approved for Saturday 27th June to Sunday 5th July 2020 (this year). We are a family of 4 from Melbourne (children will be 10 yrs and nearly 13 yrs). We had thought of 3 nights at Uluru then 4 nights Darwin, wanting to show the children something of Australia’s heritage, but the airfares alone are horrible.

So throw ideas at me for those dates, ideally warmer and not colder than Melbourne at that time of year!

Many thanks

Lou :)

Froggilicious

Cairns is awesome at that time of year, flights from Melbourne aren't too prohibitive.

• Like 1

BornToLove

It’s at the start of school holidays, it won’t matter where you’re going, flights will be costly.

That said, Cairns is lovely that time of year.

lizzzard

How about Broome? Lots of history and culture, as well as the beach and nice weather. Not sure what the airfares would be like though....

Hands Up

Cairns and Port Douglas

Sunshine Coast

Cimbom

There are flights showing up for your dates for under $200 return to Adelaide and the Gold Coast

2bundles

Try airfares just to Darwin. You can easily fill a week there (if you get a hire car). Try google flights and try a day either side of your ideal dates.

Edited by 2bundles
  • Like 1

kerilyntaryn

Port Douglas, Cairns, Mossman, Daintree, and Kuranda

born.a.girl

I'd do Darwin or Uluru, not both in that time frame.

Uluru has a surprising amount going on once you get there. If you hire a car you could spend a (long) day going to king's canyon, or preferably staying there overnight.

We stayed 3 x nights and didn't have time to do that.

hills mum bec

I would do Darwin for a week. For Uluru you need longer so that you can drive to Kings Canyon which is spectacular and there is also heaps to see and do around Alice Springs. Darwin in July would be beautiful.

• Like 1

just roses

Another vote for Darwin.

tothebeach

Doing Darwin and Uluru in a week is too much. They are nowhere near each other and there is little to no efficiency trying to do both in one trip.

Either of them would make a good trip for a week as there are good day trips and good hiking at each. You’ll get the most out of both trips if you have a car for a few days.

We spent a couple of days at Airlie Beach one year round that time. We were on our way to a week on a yacht round the Whitsundays. So that’s also an option.

Froyo

Palm Cove

• Like 2

PrincessPeach

Top end of the country at that time of year - warm, no stingers & minimal amounts of rain.

Although we joke here on the gold coast that the only ones swimming in the june/july holidays are those from victoria & Tasmania.

It's off season here (even school holidays), so very quiet.

• Like 1

Sleep Debt

We are looking for something similar - a week away July with 3 kids. So I priced up Singapore. Thought great, they'll love Sentosa and we'll do the zoo and gardens.... $4k in flights, and wait for it ... over $6k in accomodation (and I'm not talking Marina Bay Sands level, this is just 3.5 star) so that got canned very quick.

Thought I'd look at Darwin, for Virgin it was still over $3k in flights!!

Guess I now know why everyone goes to Bali.

• Like 1

Apageintime

We are going to Malaysia. Reasonably cheap accommodation and we picked up flights for $400pp return with air Asia.

• Like 2

Sleep Debt

We’re looking at Singapore July school holidays as well and two rooms at holiday inn atrium Singapore is $2.5k for a week. It’s not amazing but it’s friendly and big rooms and location pretty good. Not saying you have to go! But there’s definitely places to stay for less than $6k

Thanks, I had a look and yes room rate is reasonable BUT we run into the same problem that 95% of hotels present and that is, there is too many people for one room - so we'd have to get two (and double the rate) and because of the ages of the kids DH would have to stay in one and I'd have to stay in the other, which isn't much fun. The price was for hotels with interconnecting rooms which limits choice and bumps it to a ridiculous price.

• Like 1

tothebeach

Thanks, I had a look and yes room rate is reasonable BUT we run into the same problem that 95% of hotels present and that is, there is too many people for one room - so we'd have to get two (and double the rate) and because of the ages of the kids DH would have to stay in one and I'd have to stay in the other, which isn't much fun. The price was for hotels with interconnecting rooms which limits choice and bumps it to a ridiculous price.

We’ve travelled a bit with our children who are now 14 and 11 so we have needed to get two rooms or interconnecting rooms for quite a few years. The boys stay in one room and we stay in the other. I don’t think that you and DH would need to sleep separately, particularly if you have interconnecting rooms or rooms next to each other.

• Like 1

-Belinda-

We've stayed at treetops in a 2 bedroom apartment and it was great. They include an airport transfer and run a shuttle bus further into town but they are also near bus routes. Breakfast and pool is great. Only three stories I think so not a high rise. Only catch is it is a minimun of a week.

We also stayed at Sentosa at Silosa Beach Resort, 8 nights for the OP dates is 3028 SGD which is approx 3270 AUS in a family room of 4 single beds incl breakfast or lunch. Was not as fancy as treetops but still good pool and easy to get around.

Agree with PP that Darwin or Alice Springs is good for a week. Otherwise any place north!!

Prancer is coming

We were looking at Darwin too in July. Vietnam ended up being a similar price so we booked there. Last year we went to Auckland in the school holidays. Cost us $4500 for flights and 2 weeks accommodation for the 5 of us with a Jetstar holiday package. We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment. Not 5 star or anything, but fine, fairly central and breakfast included. Weather was a bit warmer than our winter too. Not quite shorts, but did not need winter jackets and heaps to do.

Otherwise Cairns.

teejay

Port Douglas, Cairns, Mossman, Daintree, and Kuranda

We visited all these in April last year. Hired a car from Cairns airport.

It was amazing. Stayed in Port Douglas in a 2 bedroom apartment with direct access to the pool.

YodaTheWrinkledOne

I'd fly to Alice, hire a car.

Check out Alice Springs itself (Royal Flying Doctor Museum, School of the Air Visitors Centre, AS Reptile Centre, Telegraph Station Historical Centre and there are a few really good indigenous cultural centres as well). You can do a day trip out to see Simpson’s Gap, Standley Chasm, Ellery Creek. It's a bit further to see Ormiston Gorge, but I really liked that one as well.

Then drive out to Uluru (450km, 4.5 hours) - hire a bike to go around the base of Uluru (you can walk it, but if I were doing it again, I'd just hire a bike).Make sure you see the sunset at Uluru too (take drinks, nibbles and a camera!) Visit Kata Tjuta for a day (and do a walk around there too). If you can afford it, I would totally recommend the sunset helicopter tour around Uluru and Kata Tjuta, it was stunning (that was our splurge for our holiday).

If you can do it, go to Kings Canyon as well - stunning!

Alternatively, pick up the car and head straight out to Uluru (sometimes it is cheaper to fly into AS than it is to fly to Uluru directly) and visit Uluru, Kata Tjuta and Kings Canyon.

So many options!

We have had to book two rooms as well, when we can't get a room with 4 beds or a 2 bedroom unit. We usually request interconnecting rooms if available. Failing that, two rooms side-by-side. Our girls now share a room on their own (10 & 12). So much more expensive though!

Distances and drive times (no stops)

AS to Uluru - 470km, 4.5-5 hours (sealed road)

Uluru to Kings Canyon - 330km, 4.5 hours (sealed road)

AS to Kings Canyon - 330km, 4.5 hours (sealed road)

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne
  • Like 1