daisy007

Babysitting, what’s the going rate?

daisy007

I’ve never used a babysitter before and have absolutely no idea how much the going rate is. I have to attend a workshop 2 afternoons a month so need to arrange care for DS after kindy on those days. I’ve got an 18 yo family friend who DS adores organised to pick him up on those days, take him home and look after him until I get home at 5. I was thinking $20-25 an hr, does that sound right or should it be more?

Also there will probably be a few occasions where she will babysit both kids, how much do I pay then? Double because it’s two kids?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I have no idea how babysitting works!

blondie82

$20-$25 is pretty the much going rate with what I have paid over the last 5 years. When I've gone from 2 to 3 kids, the rate has stayed the same.

I'm currently paying $25 an hour for babysitting (3 kids).

Hope this helps.

rowd

The last time I paid a babysitter I paid either $20 or $25 an hour, it was at night time with a sleeping child if that makes any difference.

babybug15

We have two semi-regular baby sitters- both we know as they were carers at our childcare centre.

One charges a flat $20/hr- she lives a street away and she is a uni student who does a bit of childcare/sitting on the side.

One charges $23/hr for a single child (it's more for 2 or 3 children, but I'm not sure how much), with an extra $5 for petrol as we are on the other side of town. She has more qualifications and more experience- nannying & babysitting is her fulltime job. She turns up with a box of craft stuff.

$20/hr is fine in your situation- I'd pay a bit more for 2 kids, but not double.

Feral-as-Meggs

Minimum wage adult casual is about $24.36 so I think $25 is fair. But for that I’d ask her to fold laundry or tidy up if the kids are asleep.

SeaPrincess

Most recently I was paying $22/hour for 3 children. The babysitter had her WWC and some experience, but no actual qualifications.

UniKitty

My 17yo Niece charges $15 p/hour.

It's cash, she has no quals other than First Aid and it's just babysitting so kids are safe - not a childcare replacement.

I think $25 is a bit steep for what it is.

With car journey and feeding dinner I think $20 p/hour is very reasonable.

Ruf~Feral~es

I used to pay $25 per hour for our after-school nanny, who picked the kids up from school, took them to activities, and then home to cook their dinner and help with homework etc.

DD (16) currently earns $15 per hour for 'just babysitting' - hanging out with the kids, providing dinner and bathtime/bedtime responsibilities.

I think $20 would be about right for an 18 year old who is picking them up and taking them home as well.

Ivy Ivy

Our kids recently had their old nanny babysit and I paid her the old nanny rate of $30/hr cash and rounded it up to an easy note. She is in her 40's though; if I was hiring a teenager I'd offer $20-25hr. For $30 she played with them, fed them, etc, not just sat on her phone.

MarciaB

Minimum wage adult casual is about $24.36 so I think $25 is fair. But for that I’d ask her to fold laundry or tidy up if the kids are asleep.

Except that as an 18 yo she would not receive the adult rate in most industries (retail etc). DD (18) works several casual jobs - only one job she gets over $25 an hour and that requires qualifications and ongoing training and development (First Aid Cert/Coaching diploma/Medical training). Retail and Fast Food for an 18 yo is about $19 an hour (weekdays). Several of her friends work in hospitality for a very well-known bar group and their casual rate is capped at $25 an hour even after midnight and on weekends(enterprise agreement).

OP I think $20 an hour is fair. I would round it up to an even hour if need be. ie if she does 3.5 hours - would pay $80.

Edited by MarciaB
  • Like 1

Dianalynch

We pay $25 an hour to the child care /kinder educators who are qualified, have first aid, WWC, etc (they only charge $20 an hour but we pay higher) - for an 18 y/o without quals working cash in hand $20 an hour would be fine.

eta that’s what we pay for 2 kids, the oldest is 9 and very easy.

Edited by Dianalynch