Sign in to follow this  
aluminium

Endometrial Ablation - post ablation bleeding

aluminium

TMI warning - help please.

Hi EB,

I had an endometrial ablation two-weeks before Christmas. I bled lightly for a day after, and then for almost two weeks I had light watery discharge. Saw the Gyneo for follow up last week and two-days before that appointment all the discharge stopped. She was happy, we were done.

BUT Then today - I'm bleeding lightly. Proper red blood, not watery discharge. But lightly - I had one panty liner on all afternoon.

It's too late to call my dr (I'll call tomorrow) but I wondered if this happened to anyone else? Is this within the range of normal?

It'll be 4-weeks tomorrow since my surgery. That also means my period would be due then too. Could this mean my ablation failed (she said it was successful but maybe not?)

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by aluminium

OrangeSprout

Hi

Yes that happened to me..

And I am now on a low dose contraceptive pill that I miss the sugar pills on and have had no further bleeding.

Hopefully yours will go away.

For many it does but for some it doesn't.

Goodluck

• Like 1

TheGreenSheep

I’d say that’s your period. I personally would wait a week and see if it progresses or not to a full period before speaking to your gynae.

I am 13 weeks post ablation. I had really light loss for 3 weeks after, using a liner. Then at the 4 week mark I had my period, however it was nothing, then period 2 was spotting when I wiped, period 3 nothing. I see my gynae next week as he prefers for you to have a few cycles before seeing you. He said that in his experience about 5-10% of woman have some loss during their period afterwards. For me personally having spotting when wiping is joyous in comparison to the flooding I was experiencing.

• Like 1

bakesgirls

I had one in 2018 which failed on it's own. It was repeated 3 months later and an IUD was also inserted at that time, as my OB said endometrial ablation on it's own sometimes doesn't stop periods, especially if any of the uterine lining grows back or if there are areas that were missed. Since having the IUD inserted also, I've not had another period.

• Like 1

aluminium

Thank you for your replies.

I guess I'll keep an eye on it and see.

I'm super sad and disappointed. I feel PMS-y, so they may be exaggerated feelings.

but like you The Green Sheep, if this is my period and it is light and non-restricting, that is infinitely better than the debilitating flooding I was experiencing beforehand.

Still, sigh.

EsmeLennox

I continued to have a period after an ablation...but it was scant and short-lived each month. An ablation doesn’t claim to completely stop periods,

4 weeks post op...have you been more physical perhaps in the last few days? I had watery/bloody discharge for about 6 weeks after mine and it did come and go.

• Like 1

aluminium

yeah, EsmeLennox I've been de-cluttering and moving heavy boxes of junk. Maybe I over did it?

Up until last week I had watery/bloody discharge but it stopped last Tuesday.

I knew there was a chance I'd get my period again but my gyneo gave me the impression that was a rare chance. She said she'd be surprised if I had a period based on how the uterus looked post-surgery. So I guess I'd talked myself into not having it again. Blah.

Oh well, at least there's less chance that there's something wrong. Which is what I was mostly concerned about.

EsmeLennox

I’d be suspicious of the heavy boxes!

• Like 2

aluminium

Now that you mention it, I am beginning to think the same.

FuzzyChocolateToes

I had mine about 4 years ago now. I still get a period, but manage with liners. It's nothing like the flooding I used to get. It's mainly very light brown colour, with only a little red. So it doesn't sound unusual to me?

• Like 1

Crazyazy

I thought the same the ablation would mean no more periods and I was disappointed too to get my period after ablation. Mine came 2 weeks after exactly right when it was due. It did take about 6 months to settle down after the ablation but 18 months after having it done I still get my period every month but it is very light nothing like it was before the ablation. It also could be the moving though it did take a good 6 weeks recovery for me and for all bleeding to stop, I also had another 1 day with a lot of blood about 12 weeks after and then no more lots of blood since then but still a very light period. A lot of people do have no bleeding ever again lucky things.

• Like 1

TheGreenSheep

Aluminium I was really surprised how strong my hormones felt without much of a period. Played with my head how I was feeling the PMS and then sore boobs etc. certainly felt like a period was arriving.

Like the PP suggested, may also be the heavy lifting you’re doing. See how the bleeding is after a few days to give you more of an idea of what’s happening. Early days.

• Like 1

aluminium

Thank you all for sharing and for putting my mind at ease. It seems to have stopped this morning but we'll see how I am once I get moving around a bit more today.

I'll call my gyneo if it starts up again.

My hormones def feel strong The Green Sheep. Although since I bled yesterday the soreness in my boobs has dropped away (which is consistent with when I have my period, so...).

I'm thinking about having an easy day today with a break in the de-cluttering. Might take the kids on a mini-road trip: drive, beach, picnic, ice cream, home. Nothing too strenuous.

• Like 1