Sign in to follow this  
bubskitkat

Costco

bubskitkat

Today I went to Costco for the first time.

To get in I had to pay the $60 fee.

I wondered around and looked at lots of stuff in big packages.

After the anticipation I decided that as there is just my son and I that it was not worth it. I didn’t find the items overly cheap but I tend to bargain hunt anyway.

I could see if you had a large family or had an event coming up that it would be great for that.

They refunded my $60 on exit without question.

If your interested drop in and see for yourself.

Chee72

I don’t know why you’re posting this ...

• Like 3

magic_marker

Did they tell you that you now cannot rejoin for a year?

Do you need to get new tyres in the next 12 months? It is sometimes much cheaper to do this at Costco.

Was it overly busy. Because at the moment, trying to shop with kids is a nightmare enough. X that by 3 with the size of the trolley and people thinking that you have to get around them and NOPE.

I'm guessing you have no storage or freezer space to buy in bulk.

Also, they send out emails with bargains quite a bit. They were the cheapest around for iPads as well.

born.a.girl

Interesting that you can pay the $60 and get a refund if you don't want to shop there.

It's totally impractical for us, as we don't need the volume, we don't have the storage space, and we'd spend $20 on citylink getting there and back if we went.

Be interested to have a look, though.

Anonforthistime

I’m guessing they didn’t have fuel then.

In our area at the moment most petrol is around $1.75 per litre. Costco has it for $1.33 so on a 50 litre tank, my yearly membership is covered very quickly.

• Like 3

Lime-Polka-Dot

I've mentioned this on another thread, I've only been once and some of the bulk stuff isn't particularly practical for my household either but the petrol alone has been worth it as I live quite close to the store / petrol station. Often up to 10c cheaper than other servos in my area, I've easily saved more than the the $60 already and pay at the pump is convenient for me.

magic_marker

I’m guessing they didn’t have fuel then.

In our area at the moment most petrol is around $1.75 per litre. Costco has it for $1.33 so on a 50 litre tank, my yearly membership is covered very quickly.

I did the math.

At that price difference, would only need to fill up 3 times and it's covered. Yay.

Dianalynch

Costco is at least a 30 minute drive from us, more in traffic, and it’s a miserable drive through stop start city traffic, so I’ve never been. We also don’t have the storage. I would like to have a walk through it though. Aldi is a 10 minute walk, I’m still loving Aldi.

Luci

The nearest Costco is probably close to an hour for me. So too far even with cheap petrol. Like PP’s I would be interested in having a walk through for a look.

Coffeegirl

I’ve never found Costco to be cheaper for most of the items I want to buy,

if you know your prices and watch the sales, you are just as well off to buy things on sale at Coles/Woolies/Aldi.

and really. Who has room to store 5kgs of sliced cheese ?

• Like 1

~Bob~

Agree with the petrol comment, if you live close enough.

• Like 1

Chocolate Addict

Our nearest is in the centre of Melbourne, so a pain in the butt to get to. Also, doesn't have petrol there as far as I know.

I used to have a membership when I ran large public events, it was great for that. Didn't buy that much else really.

lucky 2

My local,

I still save money but I don't tend to buy much fresh produce as it's to much for a family of 3.

Except dips, fruit sometimes, eggs, milk.

Most staples are from Costco, except for toilet paper and tissues.

I've got quite good storage capacity for non perishable.

I've bought a mattress, keyboard, iron, other appliances.

Clothes sometimes, it's easy to do returns. Shoes, thongs, UGG boots. Drink bottles. Dry shampoo, liquid soap, dish washing and clothes washing goods. Gloves, bags.

Plenty of things over 10 years.

I wait for advertised specials and keep an eye on reductions that are not advertised, ie a corner cupboard ~80% reduction. I watch and wait because it is my local supermarket.

• Like 1

Hollycoddle

I’ve never found Costco to be cheaper for most of the items I want to buy,

if you know your prices and watch the sales, you are just as well off to buy things on sale at Coles/Woolies/Aldi.

and really. Who has room to store 5kgs of sliced cheese ?

This. You have to make sure you check the unit pricing, often it's no cheaper per unit than other supermarkets.

Anonforthistime

The other thing I save heaps on consistently is bicarb soda. They sell 6kg bags for $12. We use it in our swimming pool - the pool shops sells “soda ash” which is the same thing, at $35 for 2kg. (I also use it for cleaning)