seayork2002

Do you like spinoffs/reunion series (or movies)?

seayork2002

or best to keep the past in the past?

What made me think to ask is I hear Saved by the Bell is having a modern version - I am not sure on the idea and even when I love shows I think sometimes bringing it into the future kind of spoils the original

I may like it not sure yet but I am generally a keep it where it was type thing

What do others think? (fluffy so please go off topic if need be :smile:)

MadMarchMasterchef

spin offs can be good, reunions or remakes often miss the mark as the humor has dated by then. Depends on the show, obviously. Theres a few remakes I like better than the original.

seayork2002

spin offs can be good, reunions or remakes often miss the mark as the humor has dated by then. Depends on the show, obviously. Theres a few remakes I like better than the original.

Actually I think I like Frasier better than Cheers

• Like 8

MadMarchMasterchef

I used to like Frasier I didn't actually realise it was a spin off of cheers - never seen cheers!

Theres a lot of old shows I would like to watch so that I get the pop culture references but I don't have time.

Lime-Polka-Dot

I found Fuller house better than I expected.

• Like 5

Chchgirl

Sometimes. I loved Fuller house even better than the original, but hated the 90210 one.

• Like 1

Chchgirl

Oh me too, Niles was the best!

• Like 2

Moukmouk

I just saw the pilot episode of the new Party of Five. It was awesome. The parents don’t die in a car crash, they are deported by ICE agents.

• Like 1

Hollycoddle

Sometimes. I loved Fuller house even better than the original, but hated the 90210 one.

The 90210 one was a special kind of stupid. I was interstate at a friend's place that night (coincidentally my best friend from high school who I rarely see and this show came out when we were 16) when it came on. A bizarre hybrid of the here and now, flashbacks and what might have been :omg:

Edited by Hollycoddle

Bethlehem Babe

I loved the new 90210. It was crazy and bizarre.

Was disappointed with the Gilmore girl special. As in wtf was the musical. And the maid? And Rory was still a spoiled little brat.

• Like 3

seayork2002

Was disappointed with the Gilmore girl special. As in wtf was the musical. And the maid? And Rory was still a spoiled little brat.

Thank you! I think you nailed it on why I stopped watching it, I loved the first series or 2 but there was some reason I stopped and could not put my finger on it.

There is something about the way teenagers are portrayed on US shows that annoys me and I am thinking the label 'spoiled brat' is it

I liked the original Party of 5 and some of Saved by the Bell and I was obsessed with Blossom and Punky Brewster, but Boy Meets World annoyed me.

They seem to be over dressed and over acting in them and like 'cookie cutter' kids

MadMarchMasterchef

I thought perhaps the GG spin off was trying to make a point about children imitate their parents obviously with the ending but just in general.

aluminium

Mad About You have done a special new season. I havent seen it yet but I'm keen. I adore Paul Reiser and Helen Hunt, and it was my fave show the first time around.

• Like 4

Bethlehem Babe

I thought perhaps the GG spin off was trying to make a point about children imitate their parents obviously with the ending but just in general.

Apparently the creator had the last line planned for ages.

And yes, you can certainly draw parallels between chris/Logan and Luke/Jess and the roles they play in Lorelei/Rory’s lives.

However Rory showed no development- lack of prep for interviews, cheating, no consideration for anything other than her. She considered herself special and precious and worthy. Lorelai worked as a maid, worked hard. While she could be silly and irresponsible, she overall had worked hard for her job and money.

• Like 3

kimasa

Rory still being a spoiled brat and her life being a mess was my second favourite thing about the GG remake. She was a spoiled brat all through the series so I like that it didn't get her anywhere.

My first favourite thing was Emily.

The musical I skipped through.

• Like 2

steppy

I've never liked Gilmore Girls. Just couldn't watch it. The mother was AWFUL.

~Jolly_F~

Love the GG reboot - I have watched it probably 10 times but I love GG.

I like the 90210 reboot too. It was amusing.

I will give party of five a go. I liked the original.

I don’t mind spinoffs or reunions - I likes seeing the characters I loved again.

I think I am a lot more forgiving of tv shows than the majority of EB though :lol:

• Like 1

Bethlehem Babe

I've never liked Gilmore Girls. Just couldn't watch it. The mother was AWFUL.

Which one? Emily or lorelei?

sahmie

Spin offs/reunions are very rarely good, but I watch some of them because the original was so loved I just needed that little bit more. Joey the tv series after Friends is a prime example. So so terrible, but it was all I could get.

Frasier is very very loved here, and probably one of the only spins offs that can stand on their own.

I never watched GG. Such an annoying show.

They are really grasping at straws now though - new series of will and Grace, Roseanne, 90210, full house, and I think I’ve seen yet another one advertised recently but can’t think what it is now. They’re all awful, and should have stayed in the 90s.

• Like 2

~Jolly_F~

How could I forget Will and Grace, I have been enjoying that.

I also liked Fuller House, it was a easy show I could watch with my kids.

kimasa

Frasier holds the test of time too. It's no where near as cringey as some of the other sitcoms are.

• Like 3

Chchgirl

steppy

Which one? Emily or lorelei?

I could never watch past the first few episodes. The one who turns up all breezy when her daughter is a teen and thinks she's mum of the century.

seayork2002

Frasier holds the test of time too. It's no where near as cringey as some of the other sitcoms are.

Yes I would have agreed 100% until the last year or so, I still thing Fraiser and I forgot to mention Seinfield before are the best American sitcoms from the 1990's onwards I can't enjoy them like I did before.

I am just thinking I am getting older rather than me thinking they are any worse.

When I speak of sitcoms (and other shows/movies) being dated I am wondering is it because we are not in that 'time' anymore oursleves?

steppy

I've been loving some spin offs lately. Pennyworth. Titans.