steppingonlego

WDYT lost bag someone shows up at door with licence

steppingonlego

I am wondering if I should be concerned.

A month ago my husband lost his backpack (left in a cab) it had his keys wallet and some other items.

A man has just knocked on the door and handed me his licence and Defence department ID.

He said his girlfriend found it in a gutter around here and was too embarrassed to post it?

Something just seemed a little off to me. It was left in a cab 10 km away and he said it was found in a gutter in our area.

I am concerned (as there was keys in the bag) that he was scoping the place and had those items in case he was caught to hand over.

We changed the lock on the front door and the car lock as well.

It just seems off to me. Our front door area is big glass panels so he could see in easily but we could see out.

BadCat

Honestly, it wouldn't even occur to me to find his story weird, except for the bit about the gf being embarrassed to post them. And then I'd just think she was a weirdo.

You've changed your locks. There's not much else you can do unless you want to put in a security system.

• Like 14

chillipeppers

Change all your locks not just the front door and then you should be ok. It does seem off to me.

• Like 1

RichardParker

I've had my licence returned to my address when I accidentally left it at a shop.

I've also returned someone's wallet to them at their address.

The only other option is to hand it in to the police but this is just a quicker way of getting it back to the owner.

If the house keys were in the bag that was stolen/lost then changing the locks is a good idea, but I wouldn't worry too much more about it.

A bigger risk is identity theft - be grateful the original documents were returned and not sold on the black market.

seayork2002

If the bag was stolen I guess it could be something, but a person went out of their way to return something to someone and now it is something dodgy?

I do despair these days

• Like 2

steppingonlego

Thanks all

I guess it is because the bag was lost 10km away and he said these were found in a gutter near my house that it seems off.

Someone would either have to have brought them and dumped them or this person would have to have come down the drive to scope out he could not have seen anyone inside so knocked with the intention of trying the key if no one answered when someone answered he could say he was returning just those two items.

Drivers licence defence id bank cards all cancelled and replaced

Door lock and car lock replaced

I know there isn't anything I can do but the fact the items were found or whatever close to my home means someone came by with not great intentions whether it was this guy or not

EsmeLennox

10km isn’t that far away...I recently did the same thing as this man...I found a licence on the path and I returned it to its owner. I hope they don’t think I was ‘scoping’ their house. I’d be grateful to have the ID back...means less chance of identity theft.

You’ve changed the locks, there’s not much more you can do.

• Like 3

steppingonlego

If the bag was stolen I guess it could be something, but a person went out of their way to return something to someone and now it is something dodgy?

I do despair these days

I understand what you are saying and generally I would agree with you but his story about where they were found and how they were lost don't add up. It we had lost the bag with the stuff nearby sure but the fact it was a long way away means that this person or someone else came into the area with them and either dropped them in the gutter (which seems unlikely) or came to check out the situation as they had all the ID and address details

• Like 2

steppingonlego

10km isn’t that far away...I recently did the same thing as this man...I found a licence on the path and I returned it to its owner. I hope they don’t think I was ‘scoping’ their house. I’d be grateful to have the ID back...means less chance of identity theft.

Yes I understand and normally I would just be grateful but the items were lost 10km away he said they were found near my house. He could be innocent and just returning but that would mean someone came into the area and just dropped them in the gutter which seems less plausible

José

I agree. 10km not far at all.

Unless that's a typo and you mean like 1000?

EsmeLennox
Posted (edited)

I guess it might depend on how you define ‘near’...did he say exactly where...because to some people 5-10km might mean ‘near’ your house.

Also weren’t they left in a cab? Could easily be a situation of whoever took it from the cab being dropped off closer to your area...

Edited by EsmeLennox
  • Like 3

José

The fact it was a long way away

But 10km is not a long way away.

Especially in a cab that must travel many km each day. It could easily have dropped off someone else in the vicinity. Or was driving past the area and someone flung it out the window or other possibilities.

steppingonlego

Thanks everyone for your responses perhaps I am just being too anxious.

Locks changed Id cancelled so not much else I can do

**Xena**

He might consider 5-10km away as near. A lot of people stealing a bag out of opportunity will quite often dump everything except the cash.

• Like 1

steppingonlego

You are perhaps right although he said that the items were found behind us (our house)

anyway not going to get anywhere by worrying done everything we can in regards replacing

Nepheline

Any chance it wasn’t left in the cab as suspected? Maybe dropped getting in or out of cab?

• Like 7

spr_maiden
Posted (edited)

Eg. 10km here is over the other side of the city, heading out of the suburbs. It is not what I would consider near - posting would be easier then delivering unless you're on your way to that side of town. It's all relative.

Perhaps the gf/guy is the cab driver, they dumped the bag in lost property at cab office during a car cleanout but these things had fallen out unnoticed. So they returned them once seen.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that they were checking out house to rob, as much as it's possible they simply found them in the gutter and now was the first opportunity they had to return them. Despairing is not needed, PPs.

OP, you've done all you can with id and lock changes. Try not to worry about possibilities too much.

Ed. Clarity

Edited by yule_maiden
  • Like 1

Ellie bean

I think we need to trust our instincts more so it may be off. If you’ve changed the locks though I think you’re all good, that’s all I would do.

• Like 6

Freddie'sMum

Trust your instincts OP.

I have found various things over the years including wallets and have always taken them to the nearest police station. I have never taken found things back to their owners.

• Like 2

born.a.girl

I would generally try the owners first, have returned a number of things this way.

magic_marker

He's come to your door. I'm guessing you can identify him now. I don't know too many thieves that would do that. But yeah, if l found someone's personal items l would take them to the Police Station.

• Like 1

steppingonlego

Thanks all

It was reported to the Cab company the next day and the police.

The items are always in a zipped bag at the bottom of the backpack so unlikely they fell out.

He was the worse for wear after drinking but realised as soon as the cab took off he had left his bag in there.

Ivy Ivy

I think women should trust their gut instincts a lot more than we are socially programmed to do ("be nice, polite, be trusting, give people the benefit of the doubt", has got a lot of women into dangerous violent situations).

I think what the OP hasn't detailed in full here but what I suspect happened, is that when interacting in person with this man, she noticed, perhaps some subconsciously, all sorts of tells that caused her to not trust him or his story.

I think the OP is right. It is more likely, given her reaction to him, and this story, he is dodgy, than the alternative, which is

1. a different person brought the bag/contents from the taxi (or wherever) to the OP's house (out back or in gutter) and

2. left them there, then

3. a ?virtual girlfriend (she wasn't in sight) picked them up, but

4. didn't put them in the postbox, instead

5. giving them to a boyfriend,

6. who at some later stage comes over with them.

I'm with the OP. Dodgy. It's just more statistically likely. In concluding this I'm giving weight to the OP's gut reaction.

• Like 11

Wango

It’s dodgy as. Why wouldn’t this guy just put the things in the letter box rather than knock on your door. Suspicious me says he may have been checking to see if anyone was home. The items were cover in case you did answer.

This is coming from someone who has been broken into while we were home so I maybe a unusually suspicious as a result!

• Like 7

Schmig

Change all the locks, in particular the house and cars. As someone who had a family member in a similar situation and the person had come back and were caught trying to steal the car my first instinct is that the story sounds dodgy.

• Like 1