purpleduck

It rained again.....

purpleduck
Posted (edited)

Not a lot, just a bit more overnight here in Sydney, but it is so nice to see the ground wet this morning. If nothing else, my garden will be happier :)

I’ve been missing the rain so much and I don’t even rely on it for anything. So just wanted to put a small yay here to celebrate the rain. Here’s hoping there is more on the way.

Edited by purpleduck
  • Like 14

Sancti-claws

The best two types of rain are follow-up rain and widespread rain!

Congratulations. We are still waiting to get off our duck here for 2020 - although someone shared a rainfall model that had us getting over 200mm next week. I have my doubts.

purpleduck

That might be a good thing to get the kids to do, either make or buy a rain gauge. I honestly don’t remember being so hyper aware of the rain but then I am city based.

red_squirrel
Posted (edited)

Yes I was just coming to post about this.

The Indian Ocean Dipole has switched back to neutral yesterday.

Meaning we can now expect rain in Australia.

it is fantastic news.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/iod/

Edited by red_squirrel
  • Like 5

Sentient Puddle

Yes I was just coming to post about this.

The Indian Ocean Dipole has switched back to neutral yesterday.

Meaning we can now expect rain in Australia.

it is fantastic news.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/iod/

I have learned many things from EB over the years and now I have learned about the Ocean Dipole!! Good news too!

bubskitkat

Hope you did a little rain dance!

• Like 1

got my tinsel on

I'm in western Sydney - all we've had is rain so light that it like walking through a light fog. Looks like fog too, except it's smoke again.

So little rain that our dead grass is only slightly damp - I don't think the moisture has even made it to the surface of the soil yet.

• Like 1

IamOzgirl

It was dry this morning for me.

But I got a good down pour in the middle of the day. The ground is still wet.

• Like 1

purpleduck

We had some decent downpours yesterday. Garden is a bit happier, and I'm even seeing the grass a bit greener....

purpleduck

Looks like some of Sydney is missing the drenching but a bit more west and north is getting it. Hoping it fills the tanks and dams.

Supposed to rain for the next couple of days. Just so nice to see that forecast!

• Like 1

BECZ

All I can say is that it must be patchy. The weather station that our reading is taken from is 10km from here and it says we only got a couple of mm since 9am.

It poured down here (NW Sydney) for a good amount of time with decent showers to follow. We easily got over 15mm just in the early evening along with a few light showers earlier in the day which they had already reported as over 1mm.

Loving this rain though. The kids went out and played on the trampoline while it was pouring. They got drenched and had a great time.

BECZ

Looks like some of Sydney is missing the drenching but a bit more west and north is getting it. Hoping it fills the tanks and dams.

Supposed to rain for the next couple of days. Just so nice to see that forecast!

Yeah, they said that places like Scone (Hunter Valley, NSW) had a really good downpour. Also really good rain in the Blue Mountains. Hope the catchment areas got something.

I’m also hoping we get a lot more over the next few days.

• Like 1

newmumandexcited

Rainy here on the south coast!

Edited by newmumandexcited

JustBeige

None on the central coast, though I dont really mind providing the people who truly need it get it filling their dams and watering their crops.

BadCat

Got so much hail at my house yesterday that it was still sitting in drifts on the ground 4 hours later.

The rain caused the creek to rise briefly. Looked to be about to break it banks when I drove home. I went out to have a look a few hours later and it had dropped a bit. But there was a huge amount of mist coming off the creek, so thick I was worried there was fire in the reserve. But it was definitely mist, and it smelled amazing. It had such a strong smell of eucalyptus, I've never seen mist like it. It was like breathing through one of those eucalyptus infused tissue.

And it cleared the smoke so we threw all the windows open for a few hours. Sadly it's smoky again this morning.

Hands Up

Raining in Sydney again this morning. Please let it move west....

purpleduck

Bucketing bucketing....... so nice to wake up to the rain

Chee72

Heavy rain now in south west Sydney. So happy

Gumbette

Sydney's North Shore - heavy, good, clean your back deck rain. Yay!!!! I've left all my trub tubs out on the deck to catch everything possible so I can water my bamboo without using the rainwater tank when it finally clears up. Also going to put on a raincoat with the kids & wash my car on the weekend if it continues to pour.

Edited by Grinchette
  • Like 1

Ivy Ivy

Raining heavily today, Sydney, my gardern was getting brown edges, I'm so glad. Hopefully it is pouring on every single fire and they are all OUT!

Ivy Ivy

Got so much hail at my house yesterday that it was still sitting in drifts on the ground 4 hours later.

The rain caused the creek to rise briefly. Looked to be about to break it banks when I drove home. I went out to have a look a few hours later and it had dropped a bit. But there was a huge amount of mist coming off the creek, so thick I was worried there was fire in the reserve. But it was definitely mist, and it smelled amazing. It had such a strong smell of eucalyptus, I've never seen mist like it. It was like breathing through one of those eucalyptus infused tissue.

And it cleared the smoke so we threw all the windows open for a few hours. Sadly it's smoky again this morning.

BadCat are you in Victoria?

purpleduck

Just an interesting article here re: stormwater collection.... must admit I'm looking out the window lamenting we don't have a tank (renting)

https://www.abc.net....roblem/11843114

Edited by purpleduck

Gumbette

We have a tank, but I'm sorry we didn't have the extra money to put a separate bladder under the driveway. The tank runs out too quickly as we use it in the garden, laundry & flushing.

Edited by Grinchette
  • Like 1