PrincessPeach

Recurring Croup

PrincessPeach

Is it common for kids to get croup often?

Mr 5 is on his 3rd bout of it in 6 weeks after never had it in his life before, so is that normal?

MakesMeHappy

I’m not expert but I believe it can be. DS2 will often get it whenever he get a virus. Our chemist told us to keep the predi mix in the fridge. It does say to throw out but the pharmacist said that you used to be able to keep it for 12 months and they believe it is still safe to do so.

Modigliana

So he is 5 years old?

One of my DS would get croup since a baby and although they grow out of it, did have it up until 5-6. But he was always susceptible.

If your DS didn't have it as a baby, and is only getting it now regularly, I would be getting him checked by the doctor as it is supposed to reduce in occurrence as they get older as their windpipe grows bigger.

I also kept predi mix past expiry in the fridge as a back-up, and it worked, thankfully, as the alternative was scary.

• Like 1

PrincessPeach

Yes, i did think it was unusual, but the GP wasnt concerned.

I've got redipred still from his last episode, never knew they were fine for 12 months though. Wish I did as I went through so many bottles of the stuff with my younger child before we got his asthma under control.

Lime-Polka-Dot

I haven't heard of regular recurrences especially for a child who hasn't had it regularly in the past but if your GP isn't concerned and you have redipred on hand and know the signs quickly I wouldn't be too worried.

DD has had it several times, the first at 10 months with a frightening trip to the ED late at night. Luckily now I know that cough and act quickly. Luckily a local 24 hour clinic/chemist has kept us out of the ED several times in the past few years in the middle of the night.

PocketIcikleflakes

DS's first croup was at three and he had it a few times a year until 6 when he had enlarged adenoids removed.

Anything that reduces space in windpipes and nasal passages increases the risk of croup as there is less leeway to allow for the swelling caused by various viruses. According to the ENT we see.

Starting to get croup at an age when usually the chance of it reduces can be an indication of something else going on such as issues involving tonsils, adenoids, sinuses.

• Like 2

SFA

My DD used to get it every time she had a virus. It mostly went away as she got older though (is now 6),however she had quite a bad case of it in the last 12 months. She also has asthma, I don't know if the two are linked at all.

We kept a bottle of unopened redipred in the fridge all the time.

DQMission

Like pp’s my DS had it from a much younger age. He was a bit different though as he had laryngomalacia until he was about 12 (a weak and floppy larynx). Like pp’s we avoided many hospital trips by having a meds in the fridge at all times. If I were you, I would probably as the GP if he thought it odd that your child has only started getting croup now and take it from there. Good luck. Not fun at all.

PrincessPeach

Thanks everyone.

Can easily get a script to keep on hand. It will save the midnight dash to the chemist. We've got ones for my asthmatic, but they are stronger.

Pocket - that is really interesting & I will certainly keep that in mind. We have a very big family history of allergies especially environmental ones, so that wouldnt surprise me in the least if its related. I'm not sure on the link between croup & asthma though - my other son is athmatic & so far no croup episodes despite getting the same virus.

• Like 1

SkeptiHandsOnMum

DS's first croup was at three and he had it a few times a year until 6 when he had enlarged adenoids removed.

Anything that reduces space in windpipes and nasal passages increases the risk of croup as there is less leeway to allow for the swelling caused by various viruses. According to the ENT we see.

Starting to get croup at an age when usually the chance of it reduces can be an indication of something else going on such as issues involving tonsils, adenoids, sinuses.

This.

Croup is a structural thing. It is about the narrowest part of a child's airway being just below the vocal cords, and any inflammation from any source narrows that area and you get croup. If it was happening regularly, I would consider an ENT referral.

• Like 1

timtam92

My son had it about 25 times. He is 7 and last winter was the first croup free! We kept steroids on hand and knew the early signs so got onto it early!