Sign in to follow this  
sapphire_stone

Party every 2nd year

sapphire_stone

Does anyone do a party for their child every 2nd year?

We have had some years we have had a party and other years just meeting up with family but now that my children are a bit older I feel I need to be a bit consistent. I’m not sure I’m up to doing a party every year so every 2nd year is the compromise.

What do people do on the non-party year?

Thanks!

PrincessPeach

My kids are still little, but my nephews only get a party every second year.

They alternate years & on the alternate years they just do a dinner of the child's choice with immediate family & then we all gather on the weekend & eat cake!

• Like 2

lozoodle

yep

Fossy

Around here most people do every second year, becomes too much otherwise.

Birthday child gets to pick a dinner venue non party year in our house.

• Like 4

Ivy Ivy

My kids begin planning their next year's party the night of their this year's party day, so no, I just do every year. I figure it's only 2-3 hours and they love it so much.

I do know one family who only let their kids have a party once per school. So, one party during infant school (years spanning Kindy-year 2), one party during primary (years spanning year 3 - 6), etc.

I can remember having 1 party my entire childhood - for my 10th. Nobody had annual parties back then.

FuzzyChocolateToes

Around here most people do every second year, becomes too much otherwise.

Birthday child gets to pick a dinner venue non party year in our house.

We do this too.

PuddingPlease

My kids begin planning their next year's party the night of their this year's party day, so no, I just do every year. I figure it's only 2-3 hours and they love it so much.

I do know one family who only let their kids have a party once per school. So, one party during infant school (years spanning Kindy-year 2), one party during primary (years spanning year 3 - 6), etc.

I can remember having 1 party my entire childhood - for my 10th. Nobody had annual parties back then.

I think it matters a lot where in the year the childs birthday falls, one of my kids has a birthday within days of Christmas and the other is about 10 weeks later. A party every second year is all I can really manage because the planning is lengthy to work around normal Christmas planning. If their birthdays were July and September it might be different but this works for us.

Similar to PP's, we also do small family catch-ups and favourite meals with cake in the off-years.

BornToLove

We have a party every year for DD, but she’s an only child and we don’t have extended family who live locally so there wouldn’t be much celebration of her birthday if we didn’t have a party.

Most families around us do a party every second year. It seems they alternate between siblings for the most part. Non-party years they will have a family only party or do something low key like a movie and cake at a cafe with a friend or two.

eachschoolholidays

Every second year here. On the alternate year, I invite the grandparents and aunts and uncles over for a smaller party.

*BellBird*

I know a few families who do parties every second year. We do yearly but my kids don’t want Big events, like often just taking 3 kids out to dinner for burgers & then drop them home - not a big deal. I might rethink if they wanted something more complicated.

Holidaytime

We do parties every 3 years. The other years they invite just a couple of friends to the movie or bowling etc. and we have a family dinner of their choice

GreenEgg

Every second year in our family and the years are opposite for my kids so I only organise one party a year. Non party year year we have a family dinner out and an activity of their choice, ie last year was Luna Park, other times was movies or build a bear.

3babygirls

We actually end up having two parties per birthday, and probably will continue doing so. We have one for her friends and our neighbours and then a seperate smaller one for just our family.

I had the same growing up and loved it. We don't do anything too elaborate or expensive, just parties at home.

CrankyM
Posted (edited)

Every 2nd year. The alternate year the kids pick a friend or 2 and go to the movies or pick a special dinner or excursion out (my youngest has had his birthday overseas twice so he get to pick the activity for that day).

I have friend with 4 kids who only does the big birthdays. So 1, 5, 10, 16, 18, 21. They might do a small sleepover the other years.

ETA: I hate organising the parties. Well seem to live in an area where people think RSVP is optional so I never know how many people are going to turn up.

Edited by MayaTheGrinch

TheGreenSheep

Every second year here too

laridae

We do one every year (July and September birthdays). Though sometimes the "party" is a few friends out to dinner or the movies. I consider that a party.

Kiwi Bicycle

We have done two " big parties" in a row now, but probably pull back to a 3 friends doing an activity together party now we getting at an age to do this. Prior to that we just had parties at home for 4 friends.

We too have no family here and DS an only so skipping a birthday for a dinner would be a bit sad of a celebration.

aluminium

My girls are older now but this is what we did, and will do:

• Party w/ friends every year until age 10
  • Cake with family always

After 10 -

• alternate years they can invite a friend to join us in a birthday activity (dinner, movie, bowling etc).
  • Cake with family

The plan for the future is thus:

13 - weekend away together as a family, birthday girl's choice of venue (within reason)

16 - sweet-16 dinner out with family and a couple of friends

18, 21 - parties

• Like 1

#notallcats

Though sometimes the "party" is a few friends out to dinner or the movies. I consider that a party.

I consider it a party too. Otherwise my 12 year old has only ever had one party. If it's got cake, it's a party!

lozoodle

I know a few families who do parties every second year. We do yearly but my kids don’t want Big events, like often just taking 3 kids out to dinner for burgers & then drop them home - not a big deal. I might rethink if they wanted something more complicated.

Yep this is what I did for my girls in their "off year". So much simpler.

The older they get, the easier the parties are becoming anyway. Well past the days of whole class parties thank goodness.

Hollycoddle
Posted (edited)

I think I'm out of the woods now when it comes to parties, thank God, both hosting and attending. My kids are 11 and 8 and I can't remember when either was last invited to one. DS2 has ASD and is a loner so he never got into parties despite me encouraging it for the sake of friendships. DS1 is quite social and we do usually have either a friend for a sleepover or a bigger family do with grandparents and some cousins on his father's side coming from interstate. Both winter babies, August and June.

Edited by Hollycoddle

Lime-Polka-Dot

I'm definitely considering this in coming years. I had a party when DD turned 5 - invited around 10 kids from child care, only 3 turned up (I was devastated more than she was but it made me anxious this year planning a FYOS party)

Thankfully that was more successful and only 2 out of 12 didn't come. She's changing to a new school this year so I probably will have another party this year to celebrate with new friends but I don't know that I can afford to have a party every year. I certainly didn't have yearly birthday parties and I don't think it was the norm through the 90s. My birthday was hard anyway being 5 days after Christmas. I remember having a party on Australia day weekend one year (almost a month later) as so many people were away on my birthday.

Hibiscus123

I have 3 kids so we rotate based on milestones (1 years old, last year of childcare etc) and child ( so every 3 year ish)

Every other year is just a family day out, like the zoo or aquarium or several activities.

its not even the cost, party planning just takes up so much time. DH and I work full time so it’s an excuse to spend some time as a family.

Not Escapin Xmas

DD is an only child and I love cake decorating etc so she gets a party every year :) We also don't have any cousins/family in the same state so without a 'friends' party, she wouldn't get any sort of celebration.

One thing we do though, is she can only invite the same number of kids as the age she is turning. So for her 8th birthday, she invited 8 kids. Keeps the numbers manageable.