Sign in to follow this  
Yippee-Ki-Yay

Can anyone help a novice?

Yippee-Ki-Yay

My grandmother was recently diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia. She has months at best. She has said a few times recently that she would love someone to do her family tree to learn more about her heritage.

She arrived in Australia from Holland in the 50's. I don't know much more beyond her name, date of birth, her parents name and the city they came from.

Any hints?

overlytired

Not a free resource, but Ancestry seems to have a good collection of Dutch Birth, Marriage, and Death records, as well as census info:

https://www.ancestry.com/search/places/europe/netherlands/

(If you don't read Dutch, Google translate will be your friend)

The Latter Day Saints should also have some good links:

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/The_Netherlands_Online_Genealogy_Records, and specifically https://www.openarch.nl/ seems to be free.

Chicken Pie

Ditto to PP

I would also suggest any pics she has? Talk through them with her and note any details on them

Also getting them to talk about their life is valuable if you able to note it down - place of birth, siblings, baptisms, marriage, how they came here, her parents birth and death info if any

• Like 1

Mrs Lost Wanderer

Just adding that familysearch.org is free to use but ancestry, findmypast and myheritage are paid sites.

needs to get out

Your local public library should have subscriptions to most of these and often will have volunteers to help.

• Like 1

QuisbySchmoo

Just adding, you can also print out blank charts/forms for recording any information you find if you prefer it to online.

Just google 'free genealogy charts to print' and a wide variety comes up.

*Spikey*

I would suggest that you both do something like Ancestry DNA and pay for a six month subscription to the European files. It will be well worth it.

Firstly, you are likely to find relatives who've done lots of the hard work for you, and secondly, they have a LOT of databases you can access via subscription, that are otherwise pay per use.

Also, the tree graphics are pretty good, and you and your Grandma can enjoy going through the lines (and discovering loads of cousins). I quite enjoy the extras - the census material, voter registration, court records, etc, all provide interesting insights into their lives so they aren't just a name and a couple of dates.

Chicken Pie

Also you may find FB groups (e.g Irish genealogy) where you can ask for help and experienced people are super helpful and quick as they know where and how to search