Sign in to follow this  
*melrose*

Strep Throat

*melrose*

Hi all, so I strep throat, went to the doctor 3 days ago with the worst sore throat, he looked in my mouth and said yes you have strep throat I'm on medication now. My question is when will the pain in my throat go away, it's so sore.

Ivy Ivy

Are you taking any analgesia? Aspro clear dissolved in water usually worked well for me with a sore throat.

But if the antibiotics work for that bacteria you should feel relief by now or very soon. If the doctor took a swab and sent it to the lab the bacterial sensitivities and resistances will be back by now. You could ring the GP surgery to get them (because if the antibiotic you've been put on, isn't going to eradicate that bacteria, the antibiotic needs changing).

It's a little surprising you're not feeling pain relief yet at day 3. If no better tomorrow I'd go back to the GP (or at least talk to them via phone).

little lion

Until you can talk to the GP, I’d ask at the pharmacy whether you could use something like the Difflam spray to numb it?

Lou-bags

Oh I feel for you! I had strep throat last year (which took two Dr visits to diagnose so I was in pain for 2 weeks) and it was the worst sore throat of my life. I woke in pain through the night despite taking paracetamol and ibuprofen regularly. Awful. Developed psoriasis as a consequence too, joy.

If you’ve been on antibiotics for 3 days and are not getting any relief, go back to the GP. They should be working by now- 24 to 48 hours you should have been feeling improvement.

*melrose*

My doctor has gone away for a week so won't be back till next Monday.

He gave me Roxithromycin that's all.

I feel a very sore throat that comes and goes.

He never tested me for strep throat just said I had it and gave me that medication.

2004member

What is strep throat? It is the same as tonsillitis?

Hollycoddle

He never tested me for strep throat just said I had it and gave me that medication.

They should test for it as strep throat and tonsilitis are caused by different bacteria and may need different treatment. Strep throat is relatively rare in terms of throat infections. If the antibiotics don't work make sure you go back and ask for testing.

Edited by Hollycoddle
  • Like 2

Ivy Ivy

They should test for it as strep throat and tonsilitis are caused by different bacteria and may need different treatment. Strep throat is relatively rare in terms of throat infections. If the antibiotics don't work make sure you go back and ask for testing.

This is why on that recent "should my kid going on an overseas school trip take boxes of antibiotics" my mind went spare. Sure let's throw a box of antibiotics at someone without doing a swab to i) grow the actual organism causing the problem and ii) test for what medication will kill that organism now (given those things keep morphing and developing resistance). Sigh.

OP, for future reference, any other doctor in the practise or the practise nurse can check your results if the original GP is away. Since no swab was taken it's moot this time.

If your throat is still sore I'd go see a different GP today if yours is away. I'm surprised you're not on penicillin but the dr would've hopefully had good reasons for choosing roxithromycin (e.g. local geographical infection pattern causes and resistances etc) and it's not my area of specialty. But day 4 if still sore, back to a GP.

Ivy Ivy

Also, not sure if people who aren't medical realise this, but the average dr goes with statistics a lot - well, always, really.

So they'll initiate treatment with the intervention most likely to work for most people, for the commonest cause of those presenting symptoms, but that treatment will fail for a certain percentage of people, e.g. people who don't have the most common cause of that presentation.

They expect and want you to return if you aren't getting better. And so on, through many many treatment trials, as people with chronic diseases know. In this case, with each successive dr visit, the dr will be reworking the statistical most likely cause of your symptoms each time, and their conclusions will vary, as will the recommended treatment.

So OP maybe you're just not common!

• Like 1

Lou-bags

What is strep throat? It is the same as tonsillitis?

It’s a throat infection caused by a specific type of bacteria- streptococcus pyogenes (strep A).

Not the same as tonsillitis- which can be caused by a variety of microbes (more commonly viruses but could be caused by any one of a number of different bacteria, including strep).

RabbitHash

I feel for you OP. Strep throat is truly awful. I was sick for a good ten days with it. I did find once I started on antibiotics my throat pain reduced within a few days, from hellfire to just plain uncomfortable.

• Like 1