Vee10

C-sec or vaginal birth after anal fissure surgery

Vee10

Hi ladies,

I had a vaginal birth 9 years ago with an episiotomy and tear after delivery of a 4.2 kg. 2 years later (2012) I had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy surgery to repair an anal fissure which could have been caused from the birth of my son or constipation after birth, I can’t remember.

Anyway my question is to anyone who has had the surgery LIS, did you have a vaginal birth or c-sec next time round? I have received conflicting advice and would love to hear any of your experiences. My biggest concern is further trauma to the sphincter muscle which could lead to fecal incontinence.

If any one could shed some light on this or simply share your experience it would help me greatly as I am completely confused and concerned...

Thank you

a letter to Elise.

I didn’t have the surgery, mine healed on their own, but I would be looking at a c section. When you’ve already had that much damage, with resulting scar tissue, I wouldn’t risk it. My main concern would be making sure constipation due to pain relief was managed well.

• Like 2

taters

I havent had the surgery but did have fissures after the birth of my first child. So awful! I had to have a c section for second bub for unrelated reasons. The recovery was hard for the first week and painful for a few weeks after that. But with lots of support it was fine. So if youre worried about that part of it I can assure you it is ok. While the recovery hurt me for a while, honestly it has been so nice not to have damage to my vagina and bottom this time round. As someone else said, constipation is a worry - I have taken movicol every day sometimes twice a day since I had my baby to make sure I dont get another fissure.

Hands Up

I had the surgery, then had two VB’s with no issues but quite a few years had passed. If in doubt I would get a c-section. Less stressful for you.

Vee10

Thanks for your responses, much appreciated. I think I am opting for c-sec at this stage.

• Like 1

chicken_bits

Ouch! I had 2 vaginal births that resulted in me requiring a hemmorhoidectomy (pregnancy + birth related).

The surgeon that I saw told me to not even bother getting it done until I'd finished having children.

I know what you've had is different, but if it were me in your situation, I'd be getting the opinion from the surgeon who operated on you (if possible, since it was 7 years ago) or from a different surgeon and then weighing up your options. Although I'd be leaving towards a C/S because the thought of having to go through anal surgery and the complications that arose from that would be enough to scare the sh*t (pardon the pun) out of me!

Ocean waves

Hi chicken bits - what was the recovery like on the hemmorhoidectomy? I have heard it’s a horrendous surgery to have.

I got both a fissure and hemorrhoids from the birth of a 4kg baby with a big head. I was fortunate that a cream very quickly healed my fissure and ice therapy healed the external hemorrhoids. I was devastated by the thought of the surgery (particularly as the colo-rectal surgeon was the one who said surgery would be horrendous).

Chicken Pie

Hi chicken bits - what was the recovery like on the hemmorhoidectomy? I have heard it’s a horrendous surgery to have.

I got both a fissure and hemorrhoids from the birth of a 4kg baby with a big head. I was fortunate that a cream very quickly healed my fissure and ice therapy healed the external hemorrhoids. I was devastated by the thought of the surgery (particularly as the colo-rectal surgeon was the one who said surgery would be horrendous).

Same issues but my baby was small...since then I suffer in and off with them and have learnt how to manage them quickly but I have “scarring” which can only be repaired surgically

My dad has had the surgery and the recovery initially is bloody painful...

chicken_bits

Sorry, I only just saw this. Recovery was horrendous. I ended up with a fissure from the surgery! Unfortunately I had internal hemmorhoids so cream alone wasn't ever going to fix that. I'm glad you didn't have to go through it. My surgeon also didn't sugar coat the recovery.