Sign in to follow this  
steppingonlego

Another vacuum thread

steppingonlego

My vac blew up this morning.

I have a combo of laminate floors and carpet and 2 burmese cats.

Can anyone recommend a vac? I can afford a Dyson thinking sub $300

I have a visit Costco coupon maybe something there?

Do stick vacs only work on hard floors or on both

Sorry I have trawled a bit but there are a lot of recs for Dyson which I can’t afford unless someone has seen an amazing deal

Thanks

GlitteryElfFarts

We have had a Dyson barrel type for years. It is fantastic. We also bought the cheapy from Kmart for $89(I think it was) and it is great as well.

DH bought the V7Dyson stick one just before Christmas for $399 and it is even better. Best thing about it is DD argues with DH over who is vacuuming the stairs and mats. Also, for me with a really bad back. The V7 is a godsend. It is light and I don’t have to bend over.

• Like 1

chicken_bits

I know it's a bit above your budget, but I agree with PP. We bought the V7 for $399 a month ago and it has been wonderful. It's so light that it feels like a toy but it certainly doesn't act like one in terms of performance. If you can find the extra $99 in your budget, I'd highly recommend.

-Emissary-

I’d get a Miele C3 to be honest.

It’s not a stick vacuum but it’s a great little vacuum that does both hard floor and carpet really well. You can grab one for $399 at the moment at Bing Lee.

I have the V8 and a Miele. The Miele is used for the main vacuuming on Sunday. Found the V8 suction to be crap to be honest. We only use it for spot cleaning.

• Like 3

steppingonlego

Thanks we have had this one (Miele) for ages and it has been good.

I love the idea of a lightweight stick vac though I am worried how it will do on carpets

steppingonlego

The V7 is $359 at Costco so it’s tempting DH has a bad back he likes the idea of a stick

We only have carpet in the bedrooms maybe he would be ok?

IamzFeralz

I noticed the Dyson stick at Good Guys for $347 yesterday if it helps anyone.

10YearsLater

I have a Dyson V8 absolute which I love for everyday cleaning but nothing compares to the Miele C3 for an all over house clean and carpets. We have 2 rag dolls and the Miele gets all the hair

steppingonlego

Can I ask those that have the V7 do you use the motorised head as is on both carpet and hard floors or do I need to retract/extend any of the brushes somehow

Stuffed Olive

I have one and I use it just as is on both surfaces. So far it picks up well from the hard floor. Peanuts, bits of grated cheese, dead flies - I won’t go on!

• Like 1

magic_marker

Is the stick vacuum the one you have to replace the battery on for about $80 every 2 years or have they fixed that?

little lion

Is the stick vacuum the one you have to replace the battery on for about $80 every 2 years or have they fixed that?

We bought a new (unbranded) battery when ours was about seven years old. It was roughly half that price.

I bought a V7 to replace it (motor died when it was about nine years old) and can’t wait to give it a whirl!

gracie1978

Loving my V8 animal.

Cleaner does a proper job every fortnight with her industrial vac and I can just pick up what I can see ;)

So easy to empty. And light, I used it today in my heavily preggo state and it was fine.

VVV

Bought a Dyson V7 in the sales before Christmas, I would be lucky to have vacuumed once a week before but now I vacuum at least once a day mostly more. The V7 is so convenient - not having to lug a massive contraption out of the cupboard and plug it in in each room is awesome!

Edited to add: it was $350 at Big W

Edited by VVV

heffalumpsnwoozles

My V6 battery died a couple of weeks ago, got it for Christmas 2 years ago. Quoted $85 to replace battery. I hated it anyway, suction is crap compared to my old barrel Dyson (which I think the motor eventually died in) and it's a pain in the bum to empty, stupid thing drove me mental from day 1 so I don't think I'm going to bother with the new battery. I don't think the new Dysons are up to the standard of the old ones.

Expelliarmus

I definitely vacuum more with a stick vac than I did when I had to lug out a barrel thingy. Works o hard floors. It’s a Dyson though so I can’t help with any recs.

Edited by Expelliarmus