Disydo2018

Cow's milk protein intolerance and formula

MooGuru

DS had neocate prescribed. I was BFing and he had bottle refusal so he didn't have a huge amount of it but from memory we saw progress quickly (like a few days) once I cut all dairy out but I don't know if it's just hazy memories that it was that quick.

Also our immunologist said BF babies tended to refuse the cpmi formulas because they tasted foul and had a different consistency when compared to breastmilk so FF had an advantage in transitioning to them. So a definite win for FF on that front from his perspective.

One tip I have is to learn about the different names that are used for milk protein - lots of people don't understand the difference between lactose and cows milk protein and might prescribe or offer products as safe for cpmi because it's lactose free (*cough* dietician/nutrition team at major children's hospital). I found knowing about that stuff boosted my confidence in feeling like I was capable of managing it.

Eta: we also had different reflux meds including losec and ranitidine.

Edited by MooGuru

Disydo2018

Thanks moo guru, that’s very helpful.

I don’t want to jinx it but I think we might be seeing an improvement! His rash has cleared up and he seems to be straining less. Early days but hopefully...

• Like 2

Mollyksy

Yaay, the skin clearing was our first sign too. You have done so well. As I said, DS was 5 months before we had any success. Go mumma bear!!

And some kids can grow out of it. DS at 4 could eat small serves of icecream, yoghurt and cheese. But not cows milk, that caused projectile vomiting. So at 6 he had rice milk in cereal etc and can pretty much eat most things now.

Ellie bean

Both my kids only have a mild dairy intolerance now (dd moreso than ds). I consider us very very lucky considering she was hospitalised twice as a baby. You really are in the trenches now disydo and things should get easier- fingers crossed!

Disydo2018

Thanks everyone!

CrankyM

So glad to hear about he improving. Like I said previously my ds outgrew him issues. If anything dairy features a bit too much in his diet now (we go through a frankly ridiculous amount of milk weekly). I was convinced he wasn’t going to outgrow it as his symptoms were daily severe right up until about 4-6 months before he outgrew it.

• Like 1