raspberry sherbert

2020 Decluttering, Cleaning, Get Organised

raspberry sherbert

Does anyone want to join me for an epic declutter, clean and get organised in 2020?

We have a rental inspection on the 23rd of January and want to continue and get the whole house organised by the end of the year. We may be doing another interstate move so want to be prepared.

The first thing I am going to tackle is - packing up Christmas

• Like 8

Aughra

I’ll join!

I’ve already taken 5 bags of clothes and shoes to the Salvos this week. Onto toys and and the kitchen next!

• Like 7

raspberry sherbert

We took 4 bags to savers this morning. I don't usually have a problem decluttering or getting rid of stuff, my biggest problem is we have a tiny bin so not a lot extra can fit in on a weekly basis. I am going to book a hard rubbish collection before our inspection.

• Like 2

EsmeLennox

Yes... I spent two days in DS3’s room... 4 giant bags of stuff for charity, 2 giant bags of rubbish, several items listed for sale, 3 tubs of books to do *something* with, after friends/relies look through them for their kids.

And that’s just one child...I have three!

Then there’s all the other accumulated crap around the place. I’m on leave from work until March...hopefully by then my house will contain a lot less ‘stuff’.

• Like 7

just roses

Sign me up! We have grand plans of decluttering such that we will be able to fit all our belongings in a single garage-sized storage shed. We have a lot of crap. A lot to do. But this is the year.

• Like 3

Kallie88

I definitely need to do this! We have so much crap and with #4 due in August a massive declutter is really needed. Fx I find the energy to do it haha. Job #1 is packing up the tree

Sharalanda

Yes I’m in!

I went through my drawers and wardrobe yesterday and got rid of a pile of stuff that had had it and took 2 bags of stuff to the salvos this morning.

Just starting on the kids stuff now. I’ve suddenly decided it’s time pack up the baby stuff so I’ll be dismantling the cot over the weekend, converting the change table to a chest of drawers and I’m also thinking of getting rid of the big pram and the ikea kids table and chairs.

I’m also aiming to clear out the kitchen and offload a heap of stuff that never gets used.

• Like 2

onetrick

Oh, I'm in! We have been slowly cleaning out a room for the new baby, but as we have a 3 bedroom place, and that's the third bedroom home, its not as easy as it sounds!! (I know baby doesnt need a bedroom straight away, but we are both teachers so we are doing it in the holidays as we have more time now than we will when we need it to turn into a bedroom!).

• Like 3

RocktonResident

Yes, I'm in!

I've been decluttering in spurts, but haven't done anything in a while. After Christmas the house is of course worse than ever.

I've set myself a goal of an epic family holiday in April 2021 - so if I can declutter and sell some stuff it would be amazing.

• Like 1

luke's mummu

I’m in! Our tiny 3 bedroom home is filled to the max- we desperately need more space, but there’s no way I could handle the stress or cost of moving, or extending

• Like 1

Etcetera

Yep I'm in!

I'm going to tackle the office first - it's our computer room/office/homeschooling room and is also where we dumped everything when we first moved in just over a year ago.

The other job on my mind is clearing out clothes - we have so much stuff that the kids have grown out of or that doesn't suit the climate down here so that's another job high on my list.

Bearynice

Yes I’m in! I’ve started on some small spaces ( bathroom cupboards, under sinks)

I find if I start small and in an unsentimental part of the house I’m more likely to keep going.

We have a big issue with paper coming into the house, it just gets plonked and piles up.

Our spare room is a dumping zone.

Kids are lego crazy. They have a toy room and it’s contained there.

Once I get the rest of the house decluttered I might work on taming the lego chaos!

• Like 1

IShallWearMidnight

Oh yes! I have to minimise drastically as I need a cleaner this year but my house is horrendous and needs a lot of work!

• Like 1

Lou-bags

I’m in also. I have a tendency to keep things ‘just in case’ but I’m starting 2020 to minimize our stuff.

I’m planning to do the ‘throw/give something away each day’ as per the date- ie if it’s the 7th, 7 things, the 21st, 21 things and so on for January at least.

Plan to start with the kids toys. DS2 is 3 now so I’m sure we can get rid of a lot of baby/toddler toys that have lingered around the place.

• Like 1

Lunagirl

I'm in! Thanks for starting this.

I'm going to follow Marie Kondo because I mostly like her philosophy, though some of it gets a little woo for my tastes.

I like the idea of getting everything from one category together so I can clearly see what I don't need, and also identify any gaps that exist.

The aim will be to have the whole house (excluding DH's stuff) done by the end of the year. I'd like to set a shorter timeframe, but I think I need to be realistic!

• Like 3

Catzilla

I'm in for attempting this. We moved in to our 3 bedroom unit 4 years ago on Tuesday coming, and there is still stuff we haven't unpacked yet. We're overrun with so much stuff there's not much room to move. I was planning on decluttering this year, but I only got a small amount done; so it's now 2020s project.

• Like 1

CallMeFeral

I need to. I'm so depressed by this house. It's a combination of clutter that needs to be chucked, but also not enough storage space for the stuff that should be kept. It defeats me, and depresses me.

• Like 4

Jenflea

I'm planning on going through DD's room and getting rid of any toy she doesn't play with, which is most of them these days.

And my books need sorting too.

And the freezer needs defrosting(and I KNOW I'll find random freezer burnt steaks and stuff in the depths of it), plus I need to go through the kitchen cupboards and the pantry.

Sigh.

• Like 1

Jenflea

CMF, I hear you and I feel the same.

I wish DH hadn't chosen this house because it's a constant struggle now we have DD and even less storage, and more stuff.

gatheringpieces

I'll give it a whirl!

We will have 2A 4C 1dog 1cat in a 3 bedroom house. It's an older house so big bedrooms, but still... Oh my Lord.

On maternity leave for the year so so much theoretical time to do stuff but we'll see. I've been trying to declutter for awhile, I tend to get rid of a boot load to donate and then do nothing again for months though

Best of luck everyone!

little lion

I love a good declutter (but have to be in the right mood). We’ve recently done the office and the kids’ clothes.

• Like 1

Sancti-claws

I think I need to sign up to this thread - we did make a start pre-Christmas, as we had family here for the day AND DD's birthday required a room rearrange but a lot of stuff just got shoved into our room - so I think our room is the first to get attention. Was meant to start yesterday, so today is the day...

YumChaTheSecond

We're decluttering. I tend to get very sentimental and we're in the house I grew up in so EVERYTHING has memories. I'm trying to be very rational and only keep the things we really use. Like PP we're starting in a less sentimental room of the house -- the laundry. Our household bin is already full. There will need to be a skip booked in the new year.

Have already listed a few things on the facebook good karma networks and some things are on the porch awaiting collection.

• Like 1

Not Escapin Xmas

I’ve just put a bunch of things on our local PIF FB page. I love getting rid of stuff!

• Like 1

Green Sage

I need to declutter.

I try to keep to a 1-in-1-our rule. For everything. It helps a lot.

So I got 3 tea towels for Christmas, that means today I threw away 3 old ones (4 actually)

I bought 4 towels in the sales, so threw out 4 old ones

I got 2 T-shirt’s for Christmas so I need to get rid of 2 old ones, at least.

This kids though, I need to donate/toss so many toys and books to make up for Christmas! And need to sort their clothes before school and kinder starts.

• Like 1