BBC

We need a terrible presents thread!

BBC

I didn't get anything terrible, but 9yo DD gave her brother a pottery disc she made him with his initial on back to front.

Anyone got any shockers to share?

K.heather

My period lol.

• Like 5

caitiri

Experience presents without any prior consultation, I won’t say what to identifying

wilding

Smashing my head on the bathroom sink late arvo yesterday and giving myself concussion. Still feeling it today.

K.heather

Ouch wilding hope you are ok.

• Like 9

LadyGreyTea

My dad's department did Kris Kringle this year.

He received an Olivia Newton John music CD circa early 2000s, a regifted alpaca money box and crystal topped wine stopper that looked very much like a butt plug.

• Like 13

wilding

Ouch wilding hope you are ok.

I will be, just had to spice up this christmas a bit as it wasn't exiting enough. The kiddo and I were supposed to go out for lunch today, but my eyes and forehead say otherwise. Thank you for asking though :) and hope the rest of yours is alright :)

Edited by wilding
  • Like 2

casime

I got a bottle of wine from a student. Sounds lovely, right? It was off. :sick:

• Like 1

got my tinsel on

Smashing my head on the bathroom sink late arvo yesterday and giving myself concussion. Still feeling it today.

Oh no! Wishing you a speedy recovery, wilding. :bighug:

Mrs Claus

My mil let slip to DH what surprise I had planned for his 40th next year...was so hard not to cry

• Like 1

born.a.girl

Oh yuck, it can make you feel quite sick, too, from memory.

Hope you were able to eat your fair share if the festive excesses at home today.

luke's mummu

My brother gave our elderly parents a $100 voucher to a very classy local restaurant. The problem is they are both on walkers, the restaurant has a few stairs and parking is not close by. I suggested to mum she might want to give me the voucher for my birthday in January. Otherwise I’ll have to drop them there and pick them up(brother lives interstate) , and hope the restaurant staff will look after them on the stairs. Honestly 10 $10 vouchers to their local McDonald’s would have been more useful

Edited by luke's mummu
  • Like 6

casime

My brother gave our elderly parents a $100 voucher to a very classy local restaurant. The problem is they are both on walkers, the restaurant has a few stairs and parking is not close by. I suggested to mum she might want to give me the voucher for my birthday in January. Otherwise I’ll have to drop them there and pick them up(brother lives interstate) , and hope the restaurant staff will look after them on the stairs. Honestly 10 $10 vouchers to their local McDonald’s would have been more useful

I wouldn't even discuss it with your brother. Just take the voucher for yourself, and shout them dinner somewhere accessible that they would like to go.

• Like 3

FearsomeFeralFreak

My daughter got the free toiletries kit from my very wealthy parents last trip travelling business class with Singapore Airlines.

She did get other stuff, but seriously...

Edited by FearsomeFeralFreak
  • Like 3

IamtheMumma

I just whinged in the venting thread. XP gave DS a broken toy. He was most upset as it looked very cool.

luke's mummu

I wouldn't even discuss it with your brother. Just take the voucher for yourself, and shout them dinner somewhere accessible that they would like to go.

Unfortunately my brother will ask them specific questions about how their dinner went, and they are both terrible liars. So I’d really like them to make the decision to give the voucher away ( or take a friend as their carer)

ghost_cat

Is Uber Eats or similar an option? Might be worth a call to the restaurant to explain and see what's possible. I used to get a voucher for my parents at their local Chinese and the restaurant was so very accommodating - I didn't want the voucher stating how much was paid but would rather order off the menu for them (seriously predictable - sweet and sour pork, honey chicken and a combination fried rice) and the restaurant was lovely - when my parents ordered an extra softdrink, they didn't charge them. And they used to do up the voucher in a lucky red envelope.

luke's mummu

Is Uber Eats or similar an option? Might be worth a call to the restaurant to explain and see what's possible. I used to get a voucher for my parents at their local Chinese and the restaurant was so very accommodating - I didn't want the voucher stating how much was paid but would rather order off the menu for them (seriously predictable - sweet and sour pork, honey chicken and a combination fried rice) and the restaurant was lovely - when my parents ordered an extra softdrink, they didn't charge them. And they used to do up the voucher in a lucky red envelope.

Thanks what a great idea. I’ll call the restaurant and ask. Otherwise maybe a take-away dinner From the restaurant in a local park might be an easier option.

Navy Blue

My daughter got the free toiletries kit from my very wealthy parents last trip travelling business class with Singapore Airlines.

She did get other stuff, but seriously...

I used to get the free beauty counter samples from PIL - the stuff you get as a free gift when buying from brands like Estee Lauder in Myer.

This year I got toilet freshener mist. I've put it in the kids toilet alongside the one I got last year.

• Like 2

cardamom

Not me, my SIL - her boss drew her in the work KK and gave her a crappy, clearly re-gifted platter (ie. it had "For Boss's Name" written on the box) and then laughed meanly about how she couldn't be bothered going to the shops to get a real gift so just grabbed something random.

Silverstreak

As mentioned in the Christmas vents thread, DS got a wonky fringe cut with a pair of kitchen scissors from an adult relative, when DH and I weren't looking.

~Jolly_F~

As mentioned in the Christmas vents thread, DS got a wonky fringe cut with a pair of kitchen scissors from an adult relative, when DH and I weren't looking.

I would have decked the person who did that to my kid...

Wtf were they thinking? What did you say?

• Like 4

Chamomile

I (accidentally) gave a terrible present to my DH.

Two pairs of shorts (two big) and a shirt (too small). Admittedly, it was my first time shopping with a crying baby.

jdevine

By an adult! This is the sort of thing my 5 year old would do to himself but an adult, no way. I don’t understand that at all.

After having a pretty nice day with the family I went out for a walk around 5pm during which I came across a creep who decided to expose himself to me - upset me more than I would have thought it would to be honest. I’m ok now but was a little shaken at the time. I reported What happened to the local

Police as my main concern was what if he did that to some kids out riding their new bike/scooter etc for Christmas.

kimasa

My aunt was given a mop by her family secret santa. There was no context. She didn't specifically ask for a mop or has a love of mopping. And seriously she's one of the easiest people to buy for, get that woman art supplies, any art supplies and she's over the moon.

The person who gave it to her was given a pair of earrings and actually questioned whether those earrings were up to the $50 budget or "from one of those young people jewellery stores". Seriously, YOU BOUGHT A MOP.

• Like 14