Sign in to follow this  
Billy Shears

Little Women

Billy Shears

Anyone looking forward to the latest version?

The book is one of my favourites, I re-read it (and Good Wives) every couple of years. Am hoping to get the annotated edition for Xmas.

I was very disappointed with the 1994 remake - possibly the only person who did not like it. From all I've seen, this one looks as though it has captured the books and LM Alcott as the author perfectly.

UndergroundKelpie

I love the 1994 version of Teddy Laurence. I still swoon. I named my son Laurence.

This new version has Laura Dern as Marmie! I love Laura Dern.

Edited by UndergroundKelpie

onetrick

I'm so excited!! I honestly cannot wait to see it :)

JRA

I am excited, but nervous. I love the original, I also loved the 1994 version, and love the book

I don't want them to stuff it up

• Like 1

MessyJ

I loved it! The start was a little choppy for me, the way it didn't start in chronological order (for a minute I was thinking, 'Oh is this Good Wives??') but it all clicked into place quite quickly. (I'm not as avid a fan as some, so a more true fan would probably pick up the start sequences and where they sit in the book right away!)

Has anyone seen the version which was brought out about say a year ago? Actually it was 2017 (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6853528/mediaviewer/rm1810319872)

I much preferred this one - perhaps due to the cast... I usually don't enjoy Emma Watson's acting, but she suited the slightly smarmy role of Meg. Amy was my favourite character, I felt Florence Pugh was able to act both young and older Amy more believably.

I felt because it started with the later part of the book it didn't focus right away on the relationship with Teddy and Jo, therefore it felt more 'right' that a relationship between them didn't work out... it didn't feel as much as if you were rooting for them to get together all the way, as you already had been shown the later stages of the story first.

It was much more sad than previous versions I felt! I'm one of 4 sisters and I felt it touched on Beth's death very realistically, the loss they all felt, without it being overly sentimental. I also felt it showed the relationship between the 4 sisters very truthfully. The teasing and scorn between siblings felt very true to life!

Laura Dern was lovely! So beautiful, and the costumes just suited her so well!!

• Like 1

Billy Shears

I think the book was only published in two parts as Little Women and Good Wives in the UK (and commonwealth countries) - I think in the US it's all one book.

MessyJ how did they handle the relationship between Jo and the Professor? One of the reasons I disliked the 1994 version was that they were too good looking - Gabriel Byrne as Prof Bhaer was hot - and the character was supposed to be anything but. I haven't seen anything much of him in trailers which may be a good sign for me.

My favourite version is the 1978 television Mini series.

And the recent series on Stan (with Maya Hawke as Jo) was great - out of order but they made it work and stayed faithful to the book.

MessyJ

MessyJ how did they handle the relationship between Jo and the Professor? One of the reasons I disliked the 1994 version was that they were too good looking - Gabriel Byrne as Prof Bhaer was hot - and the character was supposed to be anything but. I haven't seen anything much of him in trailers which may be a good sign for me.

Well he wasn't quite a bear-like as the Maya Hawke version haha! More likable. Quite good looking though so you might be disappointed!! :D And looks close to her age really, so missing a bit of that older/more mature dynamic...

• Like 1

Billy Shears

Well he wasn't quite a bear-like as the Maya Hawke version haha! More likable. Quite good looking though so you might be disappointed!! biggrin.png And looks close to her age really, so missing a bit of that older/more mature dynamic...

Well, I guess I'll have to see it for myself. Thanks. Looking forward to seeing it!

IamtheMumma

I indulged myself a trip to the movies to see this. The start was weird. I never warmed to Laurie or Bhaer. Both lacking in presence and passion.

Overall, disappointing and not worth the cost of the ticket.

littleboysmum

I went with my sister and my niece. I’m not as avid a fan as others seem to be so I had fairly low expectations, however I loved it. I thought it was very well done and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

YodaTheWrinkledOne

Saw it last week. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I thought it was a great adaptation.

Givingitanothergo

Saw it on the weekend. Agreed the beginning was a bit choppy but settled in nicely. Enjoyed it. Though didn’t shed a tear which I wasn’t expecting. Probably more to do with the teenagers next to me eating kfc, taking phone calls and doing selfies

MadMarchMasterchef

Completely utterly off topic but your username is making me chuckle OP

Wompyrules

I saw it last week. Beautifully filmed but I think the editing could have been tighter and the film shorter without losing any of the impact.