Sign in to follow this  
just roses

Grad Cert in leadership

just roses

Has anyone done one?

I'm considering it. I already have a Masters in another field so don't want to do a full MBA, but would be interested in a shorter course for professional development.

But it's a bit daunting looking at all the different options with no idea as to what's good and what's not!

lizzzard

I would be a bit leery of a generalist leadership certificate - I think you’d be better off doing something that is more tailored to leadership in your field. For example, if work in engineering, an engineering leadership course.

• Like 1

JBH

I am also a bit wary of leadership courses. I’ve done a few seminars and found most were a combination of common sense and cliche. The exception was a two day course offered by a visiting professor of the Harvard School of Business, which was excellent, but very geared towards corporate leadership.

Cranky Old Woman

For ScoMo?

littlepickle

I have a grad cert in business (leadership) and absolutely loved the course:

Pros

- I enjoyed the diversity that the other participants bought to each unit. Having exposure to industries other than my own was a real highlight.

- all four units were offered as 1 week intensives which suits my learning style.

- the expectations in relation to the level of academic writing were high and this pushed me to put forward my best work.

- the group work was great- everyone was committed to achieving excellent marks

- it helped me achieve a higher level role / pay rate

Cons

- it is so expensive.. $4500 per unit (probably more now).

My two favourite units were-

Leading and facilitating teams

General leadership unit

If it fits within your budget go for it...

rileys-mum

Accredited leadership courses in Australia are usually poorly delivered. The structure of qualifications contribute to this with many teaching to assessment rather than building diverse thinking to problem solve.

TBH - if you wanted to improve knowledge, do your own readings and do whatever you can to gain additional workplace experience.

As an employer I always prioritise experience over qualifications.