Sign in to follow this  
LZTM

5w5d and low fetal heart rate

LZTM

Hi all,

I had my dating scan today and measured at 5w5d. We saw our little 3.4mm bean and a beating heart. Sonographer didn’t mention any concerns, but I have just been on the images afterwards the heart rate was only 62. This seems really low?!

Wondering if anyone has had this experience and gone on to have a healthy pregnancy? One part of me is happy there’s a beating heart - one milestone down! - and other part is worried it is too low and an early indication of a non-viable pregnancy.

22Fruitmincepies

Do you think the date is accurate? If you thought you were closer to 7w, and you are measuring less than 6w with a low heartbeat it wouldn’t be a good sign. But if you think the date is accurate, I wouldn’t worry considering how early it is. Good luck.

• Like 1

LZTM

Do you think the date is accurate? If you thought you were closer to 7w, and you are measuring less than 6w with a low heartbeat it wouldn’t be a good sign. But if you think the date is accurate, I wouldn’t worry considering how early it is. Good luck.

I guess this is a large part of my concern as dating scan put me back 5 days on what I thought.

~Bob~

I agree with PP’er. At that gestation, the heart would have only just started beating, so a low number is anticipated. At your gestation, I wouldn’t even be surprised to see no heart beat yet.

I wish Dr’s would stop ordering dating ultrasounds this early. It mostly creates anxiety in new mums, when really, it doesn’t tell you much.

Good luck OP, I hope baby continues to thrive.

• Like 3

Mollyksy

Are you TTC naturally or through IVF? If natural, ovulation and then actual conception can vary by a few days as sperm live up to 5 days and eggs 1 day. Plus at this teeny size, a mm difference in measuring means at least a day or too. So it sounds pretty good, heart hasn't not long started beating.

If IVF and you are way more certain of dates and like PP said should be closer to 7 weeks then that is low but not impossible (I had 7 miscarriages and 1 healthy pregnancy with heart rates all differing).

I'm sorry but all you can do is wait for another scan in a couple of weeks. Bloods at this point are useless. I know it's a fraught time. Distract yourself. All the best!

Edited by Mollyksy
  • Like 1

LZTM

@mollyksy natural conception. I was tracking with OPKs but hoping maybe dates are just out due to late implantation or something. I have an appointment with GP Friday to review

• Like 1

IamOzgirl

I agree with PP’er. At that gestation, the heart would have only just started beating, so a low number is anticipated. At your gestation, I wouldn’t even be surprised to see no heart beat yet.

I wish Dr’s would stop ordering dating ultrasounds this early. It mostly creates anxiety in new mums, when really, it doesn’t tell you much.

Good luck OP, I hope baby continues to thrive.

Im more annoyed that the ultrasound place did it that early.

I had one at 6 +2 and was warned that I might not see a HB. So it’s amazing that you saw one whether your dates are correct or not.

I’m sure it’s fine op :-)

LZTM

Just thought I’d update - all is okay here. Had another scan 2 days ago and was measuring on track and with a healthy heartbeat of 126. First scan must have been too early / baby must have implanted late as I’m confident on O dates.

Oh well, either way, happy we’re all looking good :)

• Like 4

IamOzgirl

Great news!

~Bob~

Wonderful news :)