Sign in to follow this  
coastlife

Wica Question

coastlife

Hi, not sure where to actually post this question but thought I would start here. My 9 year old DD has made a new friend at school. This friend has mentioned her mother is a witch and that her and her sisters don't do spells as they are not women yet but their mum does. The mother and kids all have cats (DD is referring to them as familiar or something). I guess my question is if you are a practicing witch what does that actually mean? I suppose I am a little worried about what goes on in the house when she is there for a play date or sleepover. Not necessarily worried I should say - more wanting to know how I might talk to my DD about it as she is making comments and seems confused. Also would it be rude for me to ask the mother about it? Thanks

Kallie88

It really depends. I'm a pagan but tend towards it as more a philosophy I live my life by: do unto others as you'd have them do unto you, what you put out comes back three fold etc. We have a celebration for yule every year which involves a small ceremony where we call the elements and reflect on the past year. I read tarot cards occasionally and know numerology. Generally you wouldn't know I was pagan from my daily life, though as a kid we used to go to circles with mum sometimes, they were cool.

It sounds a little like your child's friend's family could be more into the wicca of 'the craft' (the movie) style, not many people I know actually do that. Of course, at 9 the friend may be taking experiences from her life and stuff from TV and putting it together.

I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing to ask the mum about, just phrase it as you're curious as you've been hearing a lot about them being witches and you'd love to know a bit more about it.

• Like 1

coastlife

Thanks Kallie88.

I don't think she's making stuff up, there are books around the house, they took a day off school recently to go and buy some crystals. There is moon water and other types of water in jars.

I googled a bit last night, appears we have moved to an area in QLD which is a bit of a hub for covens.

Edited by ECsMum

Kallie88

The main thing I guess is that whatever specifics they believe and however they practice, wicca is pretty harmless (because of the do unto others tenet which every practitioner should hold) and it's usually very tolerant of other beliefs, there's no need to convert people or tell them one way is right or wrong. You could probably have the general conversation with your dd about everyone having different beliefs and that's ok, she can make up her own mind; if you wanted. Then if you speak to the mum you might have more information to help after that.

coastlife

Thanks - we talk about different beliefs but I should have a conversation about spirituality and the different forms it takes.

• Like 1

limakilo

I would encourage her that if she has questions, to ask her friend or the mother.

Is this the first time that your child has had a friend of a different "religion"?

I wouldn't be worried though.

• Like 1

gracie1978

Sounds infinitely preferable to Hillsong...

• Like 9

coastlife

Sounds infinitely preferable to Hillsong...

Totally!

• Like 1

coastlife

I would encourage her that if she has questions, to ask her friend or the mother.

Is this the first time that your child has had a friend of a different "religion"?

I wouldn't be worried though.

No not the first time - obvioulsy the world is made up of different people, beliefs and life choices.

This is the first time though that she has a friend who says her mother is a witch. So just seeking advice.

born.a.girl

It really depends. I'm a pagan but tend towards it as more a philosophy I live my life by: do unto others as you'd have them do unto you, what you put out comes back three fold etc. We have a celebration for yule every year which involves a small ceremony where we call the elements and reflect on the past year. I read tarot cards occasionally and know numerology. Generally you wouldn't know I was pagan from my daily life, though as a kid we used to go to circles with mum sometimes, they were cool.

It sounds a little like your child's friend's family could be more into the wicca of 'the craft' (the movie) style, not many people I know actually do that. Of course, at 9 the friend may be taking experiences from her life and stuff from TV and putting it together.

I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing to ask the mum about, just phrase it as you're curious as you've been hearing a lot about them being witches and you'd love to know a bit more about it.

That's a great sentence, and the way I tried to bring up my daughter. 'Tried', I guess, being the operative word.

• Like 3

SusanStoHelit

I used to count myself as Wiccan in my teen years / early 20s.

Mostly it’s a very peaceful philosophy, do unto others, respect the universe / environment etc. When they talk about ‘spells’ it’s usually something like the book ‘the secret’, putting a little bit of sympathetic magic out into the universe to attract what the witch desires (no eye of newt, promise).

I agree with pps, approach it from a “different people believe...” perspective. Repect for others beliefs is actually part of the tenets, so don’t worry about your kid being asked to be involved in anything / converted.

• Like 2