07gbam

Family Zone/ internet filtering for teens

07gbam

Hi there.

Looking for some advice or experiences.

I wanted to get something at home to keep the internet use safe for my youngsters. I got Family Zone, and I am a bit disappointed. I can see what apps they are downloading, but I can't stop them from doing so. I can see what they are looking at and how much.

I also want to use Family Sharing on Apple, but can't get my head around how to use it.

Any advice or ideas to share? Much appreciated.

lotsofbots

We have Trendmicro it works for us. Do a search and see if it’s what your looking for.

The new me

We use apple family sharing.

All app purchases have to come via a request and I can approve or decline, I decline a few here or there

Jersey Caramel

Qustodio is another option to try.

Redchick2

Hi there.

Looking for some advice or experiences.

I wanted to get something at home to keep the internet use safe for my youngsters. I got Family Zone, and I am a bit disappointed. I can see what apps they are downloading, but I can't stop them from doing so. I can see what they are looking at and how much.

I also want to use Family Sharing on Apple, but can't get my head around how to use it.

Any advice or ideas to share? Much appreciated.

My boys have to have family zone installed on the devices that they use at school/take to school. I’m not sure how family zone works (as school set up the rules) but it definitely restricts what they can see on the web - including online shopping sites like amazon, it also affects some google searches.

We also have family sharing set up for our Apple devices. Apple online chat help was helpful in setting up ours but basically you need an adult (can be more than one) who has to approve purchases (including free downloads). One adult needs to be the “organizer” and they add people to family sharing. Works really well for us, I get a pop up notification on my phone/iPad when the boys want to buy something. It also means you only pay for something once - eg music. But it does mean they can download everything that you have downloaded. It also lets you know the amount of screen time they are using and limit their time use of apps (eg social networking).

I must confess I was not keen on family zone for school as I prefer to discuss appropriate internet use with the boys, same with the use of social media. I’ve discussed with them how much time is appropriate each day and they stick with this. But I can see how discussions and online tools can be used together.

Apologies for typos, EB being silly on my IPad.

HTH

Edited for typos

Edited by Redchick2