IamtheMumma

Anyone else looking for work?

IamtheMumma

Want a support thread?

I'm trying to get into admin, particularly health admin as that's my background (health). I'm struggling with the constant search for work, hours spent making tailored cover letters and CVs. I obviously have a template per occupation but it still takes time to answer the selection criteria.

I've widened the net to secure employment by applying to places that are 3-4hrs inland and 10 hours north but so far, nothing.

pinkflamingo

Yes

It's not what you know, it's who you know!! So jaded by this, especially in Govt. roles.

It's been about 18mths since I last worked :(

Ozquoll

I am! Been out of the workforce since I fell pregnant with DS seven years ago. Haven't been able to get an interview - don't even usually get a "Thank you for your application" email. It's pretty demoralising. I did manage to get partway through the selection process for a government(ish) job, but the whole thing has stalled and is very unlikely to go anywhere.

Edited by Ozquoll

IamtheMumma

What types of areas are you both looking for?

It is completely demoralising applying again and again. I use Seek but it is hit and miss as there are so many job providers who use "our client" which I think it code for "we want your details for our books but there is no job". I used to work for the govt and they don't advertise through agencies.

I'm in QLD, so have been hitting Smartjobs daily. I've even applied to Centrelink :laugh:

I won't whinge too loudly as I've only been looking for work for about 3 months. I have a potential interview in the new year for casual work. If I get that job, I will have to move away. I don't know how that is going to affect FTB/PPS because if you move to a higher unemployment area, even for work, they can cut you off.

Ozquoll

Bethlehem Babe

Just thought I’d share that the census next year is looking for a range of staff. Some office based, field based. Temporary and up to 18 months. 
https://abs.nga.net.au/cp/?audienceypcode=ext+

• Like 2

SeaPrincess

I completed a Masters degree in a different field last year.  This hasn’t been a good time to be looking for work but I’ve had 2 interviews in the last fortnight, still waiting to hear back. Both are government, one has been dragging out since March, and the other interview was on Wednesday. I revamped my entire CV and since I did that, I’ve been getting some activity. My original field is relevant, I just don’t want to be dedicated to that any more.

I signed up for job notifications from employers I want to work with, the government jobs website and LinkedIn. I dislike websites like Seek because I’ve had no response whatsoever - not even acknowledgment that the application has been received. I have been approached directly by recruiters  through LinkedIn as well, and those are for actual vacancies, so it’s worth making sure you have a good profile there.

• Like 1