just roses

Rental expectations

just roses

I broke one of the knobs clean off my electric cooktop tonight. This is particularly annoying as we are planning to rent out our house for all of 2021 and I really didn't want to be spending money on it until we get back.

But if you were renting a house and could only use three of four hotplates (and not the littlest one) would you expect it to be replaced? Obviously we'd disclose it to tenants.

I'm so annoyed at myself!

And if we did replace it - is it easy enough to put an induction cooktop where an electric once was?

ETA: When I say I don't want to spend money on the house, I'm referring to unexpected things. We will be painting some rooms and replacing front and back screen doors etc. And if anything needed fixing while we were away, we'd do that too. I just hadn't anticipated replacing bits of the otherwise perfectly fine kitchen!

Edited by just roses

~Jolly_F~

Can’t you just replace the knob?? Way cheaper than the whole cooktop and you have a year to sort it.

I have to say I kind of want all four hot plates working when I rent. I would expect it to be fixed before I moved in honestly.

Edited spelling

Edited by ~Jolly_F~
  • Like 15

Paddlepop

As a long term renter yes I'd expect it to be replaced.

I would not want an induction cooktop so perhaps consider putting in another electric cooktop. Pretty sure we don't have induction suitable cookware. I'd be p*ssed off about having to buy all new cookware. You'll be limiting your pool of potential tenants if you have an induction cooktop.

Pretty sure you can replace just the knob on most cooktops. Contact the manufacturer, an electrician or a handyman to find out. Alternatively, google it and see if it can be replaced.

• Like 1

amdirel

Absolutely I would want that fixed!

• Like 9

seayork2002

Yea fixed as to me that is a basic requirement not like a broken case etc.

IamOzgirl

If you replace fo ceramic not induction!

PrincessPeach

with the new rules for renters coming in, i think it has to be fixed.

LittleBrownMouse

Nvm

Edited by LittleBrownMouse
  • Like 4

Daffy2016

Yeah, no. Renters aren’t second-class people. A properly working cooktop is pretty basic.

• Like 20

just roses

Ok, looks like it'll need to be fixed. It's the rod bit that's broken right through. But maybe it can be replaced. Will have to check. Gah!

Paddlepop

with the new rules for renters coming in, i think it has to be fixed.

New rules? What state? Link please?

• Like 1

just roses

Yeah, no. Renters aren’t second-class people. A properly working cooktop is pretty basic.

It is a properly working cooktop. And looking around at new ones, a number that I've seen only have three plates.

This is not a 'dodgy landlord' thread. We plan to rent our house well below market value in exchange for that fact that it will only be for twelve months.

just roses
just roses

If you replace fo ceramic not induction!

My terminology is off, I think. It is cermaic (electric ceramic) but if I was going to replace the whole thing I would probably upgrade.

IamOzgirl

I had ceramic electric cooktop for years. Thought I would upgrade to induction I hate the induction.

And you also need extra power sometimes for induction so you need to check that.

cermanic doesn't have the pan issues. However I was worried about that and it turns out that only 2 of my pans won't work.

You. Can check with a magnet.

• Like 1

just roses

I had ceramic electric cooktop for years. Thought I would upgrade to induction I hate the induction.

And you also need extra power sometimes for induction so you need to check that.

cermanic doesn't have the pan issues. However I was worried about that and it turns out that only 2 of my pans won't work.

You. Can check with a magnet.

That's good to know, thank you.

I have a number of friends who have gone with induction so I assumed it was becoming more standard.

If I did have to replace it, I'd happily go with the ceramic again as I haven't had an issue with it (and frankly, I could live for years with three hotplates but I do understand that plenty of people cook more than I do).

Edited by just roses

SeaPrincess

We only have 3 working hot plates at the moment, but if I was renting or if I was a landlord, I’d expect replacement.

The reason we haven’t replaced it is because it’s a Miele and a non-standard size, so I can either replace it with the same, or redo the entire bench to install something different.

JRA

Of course I would expect it replaced, and as a landlord I would definitely expect to make it work straight away.

As for

I really didn't want to be spending money on it until we get back.

I think you are going in to being a landlord with the wrong attitude. As a landlord we need to fix things with tenants houses, things we would live with in our own house, need to be fixed for the tenant.

• Like 14

just roses

Of course I would expect it replaced, and as a landlord I would definitely expect to make it work straight away.

As for

I think you are going in to being a landlord with the wrong attitude. As a landlord we need to fix things with tenants houses, things we would live with in our own house, need to be fixed for the tenant.

I’m really not. Like I said, if anything broke while we were away we would replace it. I was questioning whether we needed it fixed *before* we rented it out. In other words, can you rent it a house with three hotplates. We plan to rent it between $80-$100 a week below market rate. It’ll be a bargain, with three hot plates or four.

SeaPrincess

We plan to rent it between $80-$100 a week below market rate. It’ll be a bargain, with three hot plates or four.

Make sure you have the appropriate landlord building insurance, and I would have a property manager to oversee it.

BornToLove

As a renter, I would be super annoyed if you were not upfront that it’s a fixed term lease with no plans to extend. Be honest about that, it will save more frustrations than a broken hot plate.

• Like 10

#notallcats

Please don't be a landlord.

• Like 5

#notallcats

We plan to rent it between $80-$100 a week below market rate. It’ll be a bargain, with three hot plates or four.

Are you renting to friends, or privately? Because I really don't think that's going to happen. You'll get a REA who'll convince you otherwise or if going privately, you'll get people offering more because they are desperate. Maybe you are some sort of unicorn in the market, but I dbout it.

JBH

I get what you are saying - if it broke after a lease was signed you’d fix it because the tenant signed up for a house with four hotplates, but you are wondering if you could disclose ahead of time that there are only three functional hotplates and rent the house on that basis. I don’t think that consideration makes you a fundamentally unsuitable landlord, but I also don’t think it works that way and what is in the house needs to be functional. Hope it can be fixed.

• Like 5

lozoodle

Yes you fix it. Crikey this is possibly the most basic repair ever. Just put a new knob on.

• Like 2