Navy Blue

Preschool rebate?

Mrs Claus

Not relevant, but DS couldn’t have an aide in 3year old kinder unless I sourced and paid for it myself - couldn’t use NDIS funding for it and there is no funding for aides for kids with special needs for 3 year old kinder.

This is what I’ve been told too.

PhillipaCrawford

It used to be just a form - can't remember the name of it - but you'd just submit your invoices for the year then get 17.5% back.

Sounds like the preschool now receives this amount directly though.

No, there is no extra money for us. It used to be that if you used childcare some days and preschool others then you would add the hours together. However when it was all changed preschool/kindergarten was just removed from something you could claim for as we don't operate during school holidays. But certainly no extra money sent our way. In most states the state govt will part fund 4yo, that's the 'subsidy' referred to.

Not relevant, but DS couldn’t have an aide in 3year old kinder unless I sourced and paid for it myself - couldn’t use NDIS funding for it and there is no funding for aides for kids with special needs for 3 year old kinder.

This is because only 4yo receives government funding. In Vic once 3yo is funded there will be the same eligibility.

born.a.girl

3yo kinder has never been more than a move by the kinders and parents wanting an extra program for younger children, so I can understand why the government doesn't get involved in it.

Not being able to use your NDIS funding for it sounds bizarre though. The more I hear about NDIS restrictions the more absurd some of them sound.

PhillipaCrawford

3yo kinder has never been more than a move by the kinders and parents wanting an extra program for younger children, so I can understand why the government doesn't get involved in it.

Not being able to use your NDIS funding for it sounds bizarre though. The more I hear about NDIS restrictions the more absurd some of them sound.

Equally I can't comment on NDIS.

However, while 3yo may have started as a way to offer extra, increasingly research shows that 2 years of kinder makes a vital difference - especially for vulnerable children.

My kinder has run a group for years and being able to identify and deal with issues in the three year old year has been a huge help to all of us.

The connection children and parents have, because it's not just a one year thing and often means families with a two or more children are with us for several years develops an amazing community.

• Like 3

born.a.girl

Equally I can't comment on NDIS.

However, while 3yo may have started as a way to offer extra, increasingly research shows that 2 years of kinder makes a vital difference - especially for vulnerable children.

My kinder has run a group for years and being able to identify and deal with issues in the three year old year has been a huge help to all of us.

The connection children and parents have, because it's not just a one year thing and often means families with a two or more children are with us for several years develops an amazing community.

I couldn't agree more, I was just explaining why the difference between funding for 3yo an 4yo - from a historical viewpoint.

My daughter missed out on 3yo kinder because of the bliddy rules that stated you could apply on the birthday, and being November, it was well and truly full by then.

Similar thing happened with 4yo, we had one a five minute walk, but had to go to one which involved crossing a major train route, then a major road, so a five minute drive generally turned into a 20 minute one.

Wish Vic would roll kinder into school rules and have first entitlement to the local area.

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle

I think in Vic it's dependent on the City council who runs it. My city council allows you to apply after a child's 2 birthday. You put down 2 preferences of what centre to attend and proximity to home is taken into consideration. The council runs a central enrollment centre which then hands the final process over the each preschool to admin ( like wait lists for cancellations etc).

PhillipaCrawford

Selection based date of application being associated with child's birthdate is now forbidden under anti -discrimination laws.

I too had one who missed out.

Councils and kinders have their own selection criteria - ours is you can enrol once your child turns two but date of application is not a criteria. It's proximity, sibling attendance etc

• Like 1

born.a.girl

Selection based date of application being associated with child's birthdate is now forbidden under anti -discrimination laws.

I too had one who missed out.

Councils and kinders have their own selection criteria - ours is you can enrol once your child turns two but date of application is not a criteria. It's proximity, sibling attendance etc

Glad to hear it. A kinder 400m away, and people outside the area with an older child getting priority was bizarre.

I believe ours have become centralised with the local council, too.

• Like 1