Navy Blue

Preschool rebate?

Navy Blue

It's been a few years since I've had to do this, can you still claim a rebate for preschool fees? I'm in NSW if that helps.

SplashingRainbows

No

seayork2002

I got some form of payment that I think went straight to the childcare from centrelink, then something again straight to OOSH

CCR or something like that but I think 2 separate payments

SplashingRainbows

Child care yes. Pre school no.

• Like 1

Navy Blue

I should have clarified it's a stand alone preschool not a childcare centre.

That's a shame :( I think it was 17.5% so would be a decent amount at this time of year.

Shellby

If your child is 4 then you get 2 days reduces fees paid by the state government. There is no income limit for this and the preschool applies for it. You won’t get any child care rebate or benefit.

my son just finished his year. I got 2 days at $15 a day then I paid full fees of $35 for his third day.

it must be a stand alone preschool and the year before school.

Murderino

The old informal child care benefit that you could claim for preschool was about 35c an hour and max $50 per week. It ceased when CCS came in.

Riotproof

^^^That’s not how it works in nsw.

• Like 1

Murderino

^^^ but as there was a federal government payment a few years ago when the OP last claimed it I mentioned it.

Riotproof

^^^ but as there was a federal government payment a few years ago when the OP last claimed it I mentioned it.

Sorry, I must have posted at the same time. I meant this $15 a day stuff. That’s so far from our reality it isn’t funny.

• Like 3

SplashingRainbows

It’s about those prices here in our part of NSW. First two days are subsidized, with two price levels depending on income status. Then day 3-5 is more.

First two days of the week for not low income is $21/day. Other days are $38/day. So low income is probably around the $15/day mark.

We also pay an activity levy of about $20 per term and provide our own food.

Shellby

I’m not low income just regional. Low income at the same preschool my son went to was $12 a day for 2 days. They paid $25 on extra days versus my $35.

Yes I’m in NSW and how much you pay will depend on your preschool fees then you get some subsidized by state government.

Like I said my fees were $15 then $35 for full fees. That is standard in my town. NSW is more than just Sydney.

Riotproof

I’m not low income just regional. Low income at the same preschool my son went to was $12 a day for 2 days. They paid $25 on extra days versus my $35.

Yes I’m in NSW and how much you pay will depend on your preschool fees then you get some subsidized by state government.

Like I said my fees were $15 then $35 for full fees. That is standard in my town. NSW is more than just Sydney.

And yet, you don’t have these huge disparities between city and rural in the other states where early childhood education is properly subsidized.

• Like 1

DaLittleEd

Wow, is this the year before FYOS? I'm in WA, and you can send your child to kindy at the local school. Around $100-200 a year including stationery and P&F fees. 2.5 days a week.

• Like 2

born.a.girl

Wow, is this the year before FYOS? I'm in WA, and you can send your child to kindy at the local school. Around $100-200 a year including stationery and P&F fees. 2.5 days a week.

It's significantly subsidised, but still fairly expensive in Victoria.

Not sure what it is now, but I paid about $400 per term and she's now 27. The subsidised hours are longer now, too, but no idea what that's done to the fees.

Should be 'free' like school is. All the studies show how worthwhile it is.

It was rare when I went to school in the fifties, but we were all in the same boat. Now you have kids going to school and most of their class will have had the benefit of kinder.

• Like 1

Hollycoddle

Same in ACT. It's a pain in the a*se though scheduling-wise as it's 2 days one week then 3 days the next week, in school hours. I had to just continue mine in daycare as I was working full-time.

• Like 3

Kiwi Bicycle

Yup 4 year old kinder for my Victorian preschool was $ 420 per term for 15 hours per week.

3 year old kinder ( no government subsidy) was $ 350 per term for 6 hours per week.

born.a.girl

Yup 4 year old kinder for my Victorian preschool was $ 420 per term for 15 hours per week.

3 year old kinder ( no government subsidy) was $ 350 per term for 6 hours per week.

Hmm, I was about to say at least it hasn't gone up much, and it's longer hours.

Just found out our kinder has a website, and the fees for the two different groups of four year old kinder are:

18 x hours $870 per term

22 x hours $1120 per term.

Mind you with me working partly from home but a lot out on the road, that would have been better for me than half kinder and half occasional care.

Hands Up

Wow our preschool, which is attached to the public primary, is $45 a day with a five day fortnight. I had been assuming no rebate when DS starts next year as it hasn’t been mentioned in the paperwork, but we qualify for CCS so need to check. This is NSW.

RichardParker

How do you apply for the subsidy? DS goes to a stand alone kinder in VIC

born.a.girl

In Vic the fees are already subsidised.

The figures I quoted are for people without a HCC. Those with one pay dramatically reduced amounts - like $120 a term instead of $870.

Murderino

There is no longer a federal child care benefit for kinder - ceased when CCS came in.

As born-a-girl says the fees are automatically subsided for everyone at Vic sessional kinders but if you have a HCC you can get a further discount (I think it was free at our kinder).

Edited by Murderino

marple

Never heard of it

onetrick

Theres a better subsidy for 3yo kinder being rolled out in vic next year (15 hours a week I think?), starting with very rural areas (cant remember how they defined it but its not where I live until DS- currently 20mo- is about 5...). I'm only aware as SIL has just graduated with a degree in early childhood education so it's good news for her and her peers :)

Navy Blue

It used to be just a form - can't remember the name of it - but you'd just submit your invoices for the year then get 17.5% back.

Sounds like the preschool now receives this amount directly though.