Sign in to follow this  
Chicken Pie

Hysterectomy less than a week

Chicken Pie

Any tips? I have a total hysterectomy in less than a week laparoscopic and I’m so scared

luke's mummu

Take slip-on shoes So you don’t have to bend down. Start looking around your house to see if anything needs to be moved to avoid heavy lifting or a lot of bending/twisting. Break heavy items into smaller loads.

little lion

What’s worrying you most of all? Maybe we can help you talk through your concerns?

rileys-mum

OP - I had this almost a year ago. I had less pain in the recovery than I did prior. However recovery does take time. You will feel tired you will not necessarily feel yourself and may not be able to explain it. Be kind to yourself, rest and take the meds as prescribed.

TMI coming.....

Regaining bowel function should be priority and so scary at the same time. Anything that you can take/ eat to assist this is my advice.

3mths post make sure you do some core rehab through gym or physio. Helps immensely.

Thirdly- get on and enjoy life. The reason why you are having this surgery is because you should not be living the way you are now.

Wishing you all the best. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat.

• Like 4

Chicken Pie

Thanks all

I’m scared of the pain as I have a phobia of potential pain

And they mentioned a vaginal pack? Does it hurt being pulled out?

Yeah and getting bladder and bowel to work without too much issues is on my mind

qak

I had a robotic laparoscopic hysterectomy (retained my ovaries) at the end of September, and had very little pain. I had two nights in hospital, after the first night I had no painkillers because I didn't need anything.

I didn't have a vaginal pack, very little bleeding.

JomoMum

Take the pain meds they prescribe. And do not be shy about asking for more or something different if you’re still in pain. They work differently on everyone and there are always other options if it’s not cutting it for you.

I had a vaginal pack when I had a prolapse repaired a few years ago. My Gyno has noted extremely heavy bleeding (at my 6 week check, he said no one had ever bled on his table like that before. Great, thanks!) So it may not even be needed for you unless bleeding is much more than anticipated.

TBH, I didn’t even know it was there until it was time to take it out the next morning after my late evening operation. It was brief and unpleasant, but definitely not painful. The nurses caring for you will know what they’re doing.

They may ultrasound you before and after you need to wee, then put a bedpan in the toilet to measure output. That can be completely normal. They are checking that your bladder is emptying completely and that there aren’t any perforations (leaks) inside the body. They will probably give you Movicol for your bowels - this is a powdered substance in a sachet that dissolves in water/lemonade. It’s a very gentle stool softener and you can take up to three a day. I would suggest taking some yourself (they sell them at the chemist), and just starting with one a day from maybe day 2, of course checking with the nurses (which I’m sure they will approve without hesitation). It’s not a violent laxative at all and just helps to gently get things moving. Keep your liquids up too.

They may send a physio in on day two to get you up out of bed. Be very clear with how you’re feeling. They can tend to push very hard in getting you out of bed and sitting up. While this is important to begin with, listen to your body if you’re feeling weak or dizzy and be sure to let them know.

Edited for terrible spelling.

Edited by JomoMum
  • Like 1

Expelliarmus

I had zero pain and don’t recall the vaginal pack removal hurting either. You’ll be just fine :)

rainycat

I had an abdominal hysterectomy a few years ago. Keep on top of the pain meds, I found I had nausea which wasn’t great.

I hope it all goes smoothly, it’s a great feeling when you are out the other side.

Chicken Pie

Thank you everyone

Soontobegran

Having the hysterectomy was 100% more pleasant than the symptoms that saw me have it.

I had an abdominal hysterectomy with an incision from my breast bone to my pubic bone too.

Good luck, you will be fine.