Ruf~Feral~es

New Zealand - volcano eruption

Acidulous Osprey

It's horrible isn't it? Especially as they knew the volcano was active.

PhillipaCrawford

Yes dreadful. A place I really wanted to go our last trip there. Not many places to run on an island that small.

QuisbySchmoo

I've never understood why people other than researchers have been allowed on White Island. It's hardly been a quiet volcano over the years. It was inevitable that something like this would happen.

• Like 3

Freddie'sMum

White Island has been an active volcano for as long as I can remember. I didn't know tourists could visit it.

NZ is really having a bad time of it recently - there are floods and wild weather esp in the South Island.

• Like 1

SkeptiHandsOnMum

There are many tours offered there.

A cruise ship out of Australia has guests and crew missing.

Truly awful for those involved.

SkeptiHandsOnMum

It is unsafe for rescuers to go onto the island.

This really is awful. For those on the island, for their families, for those on the ship, for the rescuers waiting and wondering.

• Like 6

Chchgirl

SkeptiHandsOnMum

I do not think that it is fair to judge people who went on a tour of the island today. Not even the experts could tell that this was going to happen. There is every chance that those who went trusted that their tour providers were acting on the information appropriately, and who is to say that they were not, with what we currently know.

The expert speaking on the ABC at the minute is really impressive and not laying blame.

Edited by SkeptiHandsOnMum
  • Like 4

bubskitkat

5 people are confirmed dead.

There are over 20 still on the island and due to the instability the recovery operation is on hold.

These people are stuck there overnight with probable injuries.

Ovation of the seas their cruise ship is staying overnight and is ready to help with the recovery efforts.

The mood on the ship is meant to be very sober.

Acidulous Osprey

I was judging the tour operators, not the tourists.

• Like 2

Freddie'sMum

I am out of likes for the day but want to agree with AO, above. I am not judging the tourists.

I simply thought it would be ruled unsafe to visit an active volcano.

• Like 1

SkeptiHandsOnMum
Professor Elders said while White Island was known to be an active volcano site, tourists often visited volcano sites with similar characteristics.

"It's very difficult to say really at what level people should stop going to such a place," he said.

"There are many other volcanoes in the world that tourists will visit where there are similar low levels of activity being observed.

"That's in a sense part of the attraction, I guess.

"But to have the knowledge that a violent eruption will suddenly occur is something that's very, very difficult to predict, although obviously, we should always be aware that the danger that that might happen does exist."[/Quote]

From https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-09/alert-level-white-island-volcano-upgraded-three-weeks-ago/11781984

I agree with Jacinda Arnden that whilst there are still search and rescue activities to undertake, that conversation around blame can wait. I don't think it will have a simple answer. The appeal of many of tourist activities is the risk and the features that made this island appealing were the same ones that contributed to its danger.

Edited by SkeptiHandsOnMum
  • Like 3

Acidulous Osprey

Tragically they are now saying nobody on the island has survived.

Oriental lily

So sad . Up to 25 Australians ...

I personally know that if I was in that part of the world and a tour was available I would jump at it!

I guess you have this perception that a risk evaluation has happened and it’s considered ‘safe’

Like the recent Bali volcano to blow its top gave out months long warnings . The whole area was evacuated .

The average person knows little about geology and how certain volcanoes behave .

If the tour guides had been given warnings and still went ahead then obviously it’s negligent . But I kinda think the government should have enforced a no go zone if that was the case .

• Like 6

Acidulous Osprey

It seems up for debate as to whether or not the previous activity should have been taken more seriously. This type of volcano is different to the Bali volcano.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/118069472/why-white-island-erupted-and-why-there-was-no-warning

My reaction earlier was because I read an article which basically said the tour operators should have realised but that doesn't seem to be accurate.

What a horrible tragedy.

• Like 2

pinkflamingo

The NZ Red Cross has just released the names of those missing from the Cruise ship - the youngest was 7! They d not believe there will be anymore survivors - so very sad :(

• Like 1

luke's mummu

We were planning to go there in January. Hadn’t booked a tour yet. Very sad

qak

We are on a cruise there in January.

Definitely makes you have a think about tour safety.

*Ker*

My partners daughter, K, is close friends with the young Adelaide girl, Zoe. Her body was identified today, but she's still on White Island. K is devastated.

• Like 1

Lees75

My partners daughter, K, is close friends with the young Adelaide girl, Zoe. Her body was identified today, but she's still on White Island. K is devastated.

That’s so sad, Ker.

Lifesgood

What a horrible way to die. It is unimaginable. Those poor people.

MooGuru

It's awful. I've got a few friends on a cruise around NZ but they left 2 days (?) after this cruise. It's just so sad and scary. I would've assumed a tour like this would be safe if it was offered on a cruise like that.

born.a.girl

It's awful. I've got a few friends on a cruise around NZ but they left 2 days (?) after this cruise. It's just so sad and scary. I would've assumed a tour like this would be safe if it was offered on a cruise like that.

That's interesting, because I don't assume things offered are 100% safe, and expect to have to do my own assessment as to whether I'm prepared to take the risk.

Thinks like helicopter flights, challenging hikes, any trip to a volcano I would automatically assume comes with risks that I can sometimes mitigate, other times just have to take.

I could bet my bottom dollar there were risks outlined to those who took that tour. As per a pp, the risk of a rumbling volcano might be a faint risk, but it's a risk nevertheless.

• Like 6

PhillipaCrawford

We when to Newfoundland this year - specifically to visit Iceberg Alley. It was amazing BTW.

While there we were warned only to go on accredited paying tours, not to accept a local's offer to run us up close in his dinghy. Icebergs are risky, getting too close with an untrained operator could be lethal.

I had always wanted to visit White Island. My risk assessment would have been the same as it was in Newfoundland with the bergs. It's fascinating, but dangerous. My decision to use someone qualified - in the case of White Island Tours awarded as well- would be the decision I took to minimise risk.

• Like 2