Sandra

Introducing Nine User Experience Researcher

Sandra

Good morning everyone

We currently have a Nine Researcher working with the Essential Baby team to assist in the revamp of Essential Baby. Over the coming few months she will be asking for assistance from our members so that they can get feedback on several factors.

I would like to welcome schristo83 to our Essential Baby family. She will be making posts in this topic asking for assistance over the coming weeks.

• Like 1

schristo83

Thank you Sandra!

Hi everyone!

My name is Sarah and I'm a design researcher here at Nine. I'm a mum myself to 3 girls -- 10, 7, and 5.

I'm leading the research on the EB and EK team. We're doing a bit of a spruce up of the sites, and are really keen to get everyone involved so we can optimise it for you!

If you're keen on being a regular contributor, just follow the post.

We have a study currently going at the moment and would love your involvement. There's an opportunity to win a $250 gift pay gift voucher for your time.

It will only take about 10-15 minutes to complete, but please note it will only work on desktop or laptop. It doesn't work very well on mobile.

Also -- I know it's difficult with children around! -- find a quiet moment to get it done because it's not possible to save and return later.

If you're interested, please follow this link.

If you have any questions, please reply to this post or feel free to send me a message.

Thank you, and I look forward to getting to know you all :yes:

Edited by schristo83
  • Like 1

seayork2002

Sorry if it is not correct to add this here and I am only speaking for myself but personally I don't find having 2 separate sites useful.

Of course some of us have babies and some children and then teenage children then adults, I am presuming parents with babies may need more help on a site/forum then parents of older children but there can be sections within one site to assist all.

I am not trying to speak of behalf of anyone but I have noticed a lot say (over the years) they come on mainly for the forum, so unless there is 2 separate forums then not sure the benefit of the 2 sites?

• Like 25

schristo83

Hi Seayork,

Thanks so much for your feedback! And don't feel like you can't express your honest, respectful opinion, because this is precisely what we're after.

This is also definitely the best place to pop in with things like this.

What is it specifically about having 2 sites that isn't useful for you?

Thanks!

Edited by schristo83
  • Like 1

seayork2002

Hi Seayork,

Thanks so much for your feedback! And don't feel like you can't express your honest, respectful opinion, because this is precisely what we're after.

This is also definitely the best place to pop in with things like this.

What is it specifically about having 2 sites that isn't useful for you?

Thanks!

Thanks

Will think more and post tomorrow, I think it annoys me more on my mobile than it does on a pc first off

schristo83

Thanks

Will think more and post tomorrow, I think it annoys me more on my mobile than it does on a pc first off

Not a problem -- also have a think about if it did go to one site, would you miss the Essential Baby and Essential Kids branding?

Datrys

Not wishing to speak for Seayork, but as another person who only ever uses the forums, the EB/EK distinction's always seemed a bit pointless to me, too.

I'm not heavily invested in the branding but it would be weird to lose the EB identity.

• Like 14

José

EB is great.

EXCEPT FOR THE ADS.

the stupid ads that cover posts.

The ads that keep coming up even though members keep reporting them.

The ads ruin EB.

• Like 9

MerryMadrigalMadge

Welcome.

The EB/EK linking is nothing but annoying

Id like notifications improved - at the moment you have to go into it separately, instead of it being in a dashboard or the like that is on the main screen

Improve the mobile version

Review 50 likes

Review the number of posts per page

Less ads or at least less intrusive ads

• Like 10

Murderino

I always come via EB and find having two annoying because if someone posts a link t9 another thread using the EK site I get logged out. If it’s member only I have to go through logging back in to read it.

• Like 9

Paddlepop

Ditch EK and incorporate it into EB. Nobody goes to EK anyway. Most don't even know it exists, including long term members.

In the sorting activity where was Venting? It needs to stay.

Also, why include Breastfeeding if you don't include Formula, Bottle and Mixed Feeding? Most babies are formula fed so it's kind of stupid to not include it as its own section. There's currently a formula/bottle section on EB. Keep it.

• Like 13

Datrys

There were lots of things missing in the sorting activity.

• Like 3

Sandra

I would like to see the Essential Baby name retained in some form as many of us have a long relationship with the site and members.

EB forums contain an amazing history of members, some of who we followed through difficult pregnancies, babies who were so sick, some of who became angel babies, along with members who have passed away. Our members have also had life struggles that we try to help, support and advise. EB is a rich source of history, fun, sadness, motivation, conflict and human kindness for those in need.

• Like 19

FeralZombieMum

Dont be speaking for me Ppop. ;)

I exclusively use EK and have done since it arrived. I like the colour scheme much better.

Agree about the linking thing though. It really shouldnt matter what you are logged in under, it should open up when clicking a link

ETA; Welcome to EB Sarah

Agree with all of the above. I especially love the colour scheme for EK.

• Like 1

Paddlepop

Dont be speaking for me Ppop. wink.png

I exclusively use EK and have done since it arrived. I like the colour scheme much better.

True, I did use EK for a few years when EB went to a horrid shade of yellow and orange that hurt my eyes. I went over to EK that was a more soothing and less offensive shade of blue. I came back to EB once the colour was toned down to something that was more pleasing to my eyeballs. Also, I missed the duck.

• Like 2

Ruf~Feral~es

Hi and welcome!

I started your survey link, but didn't get past the first question as it would take too long to divide all the pages into categories, and as someone who also only goes to certain parts of the forum - I don't much care about where things are listed...... sorry.

Just wanted to add my two cents worth - having been around here for years too, I never go to EK..... only EB. Although I do prefer the colour scheme of EK when I've popped in there a few times, I think it's just habit to use EB in the main.

I'd also like a few more options rather than just 'like' - especially when we are angry about something - 'liking' a comment doesn't feel right.

And the mobile site really needs help.

• Like 4

ineedmorecoffee

We need a dislike button.

• Like 5

SkeptiHandsOnMum

Essential Baby and Beyond

Amalgamate the forums - so many unused forums, so much duplication.

Get rid of limitations on "like" numbers. Expand the "like" concept into a range of responses (for example, thumbs up, thumbs down, love etc)

Essentially (see what I did there) keep doing what you have been doing for the past 19 years that I have been here, with some relatively minor fine tuning.

• Like 11

EsmeLennox

I’m struggling with the notion that a survey about a forum that would predominantly be used on tablet/smartphone doesn’t work on mobile devices!

• Like 16

SkeptiHandsOnMum

I’m struggling with the notion that a survey about a forum that would predominantly be used on tablet/smartphone doesn’t work on mobile devices!

LOL - that is kind of funny ... for once I am on my laptop, so had missed that.

I must add that the forum is very crap on my iPad/iPhone. That certainly needs a tidy up (particularly the formatting on the iPad of late)

• Like 3

I haven’t done it for exactly this reason. I have literally never used EB on anything but my phone with the one exception of activating my account- because it didn’t work on my phone.

• Like 4

schristo83

Thanks EsmeLennox! It's a third party web software, so unfortunately I don't have control over the accessibility. If it were up to me, it'd be a different story!

But I'd like to know more about the reasons why the forum is accessed by you via mobile.

• Like 1

WaitForMe

Haven't done the survey yet but will when I have a bit more time.

I also don't understand why there are two sites. It also doesn't really fit reality. Once you have a second, you have both a baby and child. If you do just have a baby, although thats your focus you are still interested in info about children. I don't have babies any more but I go to the baby site out of habit.

And yeah the linking thing and not being logged into the other is annoying.

I think theres too many forum sections. Many of them haven't had a new post in 3 months. People with the experience of the topics for younger babies/kids probably wont bother going into those sections as there is nothing for them and thus wont have an opportunity to share their knowledge, unless they have a particularly keen interest in nappies or prams etc.

I think also thanks to FB, instagram etc, people are used to having just one long stream of posts these days. Seeing this massive list of dormant sections is off putting.

On the flipside though, I love that we have long running conversations/topics, and can really deep dive into something. That is something that seems very much part of the forum format that doesn't exist in other forms of social media like fb. A post on them is buried in no time and I've only really developed an online 'connection' with people on forums.

• Like 5

But I'd like to know more about the reasons why the forum is accessed by you via mobile.

My desktop at home is buried under a pile of paperwork and junk and is not exactly convenient to use, pretty much reserved for printing and jobs that need a desktop.

I can’t use work computers for non-work things.

My mobile is basically my personal internet device for everything. If a website is too hard on my phone, I move on.

• Like 3

Sandra

Sarah, I think the following thread is a good read and relevant to the EB and Beyond idea:

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/index.php?/topic/1206928-that-is-it-i-do-not-belong-here-any-more/

I use phone and ipad to access site when I need to check on stuff out of work hours, or if a situation arises needing attention at night or the weekend. But I use the full version of it on my devices not the mobile version.

• Like 1