Sign in to follow this  
The Little Engine

PS4 assistance please

The Little Engine

I am EXTREMELY time poor and am going to only have a couple of hours IN TOTAL to do the Christmas shopping without kids this year. I am seriously considering getting the kids a PS4 to share. They have one at their Dad's and have been asking for a while as we only have an old original WII that glitches more and more....

The issues I have are;

- I do NOT want any violent games (like they play at their Dad's) - so I have warned them ages ago that if we were to ever get one they would not be able to play the same games

- TV - We only have 1 TV in the house... and only one lounge area - will this be a problem???

- What are the differences between all the consoles? Pro? Slim? 500g or 1TB??? What do they really need? I think they have the 1TB at their Dad's but let's just say my finances are not great so I don't want to spend the extra if I don't have to.

Please help with a total game noob - I have NO idea! If I was to get a console what else would I have to get NOW and what could wait a few months?

jayskette

you dont have to hook up the ps4 to the internet, that way they cant access the Sony network and play potentially violent games. or, control their password. or just stick to games buyable from a store and you can see the rating on the cover.

the storage is for game progress. usually the bigger the better and has a better resale value.

pro is a better processor. better resale etc.

slim is literally a slim version. not mandatory unless you have no room near the tv lol

you can afterpay ps4s.

you want to buy 1 ps4 for sharing, so who cares if you only have 1 tv and 1 lounge.

Edited by jayskette

Hollycoddle

Internet generally is needed. Most games need regular updates or they become useless. When you put a new game in it's automatically updated which can take some time. The actual game data is stored on the console but you still need the disc in to be able to play it. This is why, when you put a new game in sometimes you'll be told there isn't enough space so you will have to erase another game's data from storage before you can play it.

My kids play a lot of violent games (let's face it, most of the games available are shoot-em-up) but you can also just go with stuff like car racing or sports. Mine love Plants Vs Zombies which is shooting but very mild, no gore or actual humans being killed.

Edited by Mollycoddle

Claudia Jean

I have one tv and one loungeroom and bought a ps4 earlier this year and its been great. We each have a control and play games together - some games use a phone as well. Another thing with the more GB the more you can store on the device rather than swapping out disks.

Smoo

How old are your kids? if they are younger and you want to avoid violence you may want to consider a switch instead. Mariokart is popular with all ages for us.

Also if you're time poor I would google a PS4 bundle so you can find the deals first and consider ordering online even if its click and collect. Most of the PS4 bundles at the moment seem to include god of war which is extremely violent or fortnite which is still reasonably violent.

You will need to make sure you have at least 2 controllers if they are sharing.

newmumandexcited

My son is nearly 5 and plays Ratchet and Clank?