CoffeeGuy

Changing child care subsidy works hours

CoffeeGuy

I've gone from 100 hours to 24 hours child care subsidy since I no longer have employment.

I have to give two weeks notice of change of child care arrangements.

I have tried to contact centrelink but they palm me off to a defunct phone number that has automated voice telling me there is no need to call them.

So I need to change my hours at child care from 5 days a week to 1 day a week. I'll have to put up with the little blighter for the rest of the week (this is a joke don't freak out).

I'm worried that I'll be stuck with almost a thousand dollars of childcare that is not covered by CCS.

Has anyone had this predicament?

Kallie88

Have you signed up for mygov? You can change your employment online, just sign into mygov (after you've made an account), then link centrelink and you can use all centrelinks online services. Change your number of days directly with the centre. If you change your days at the same time as your employment has ceased you should be covered as you won't be claiming days you're not eligible for.

CoffeeGuy

Yes I have my.gov

I will have to pull child out of childcare altogether as I do not have 8 hours of activity per fortnight so ineligible for childcare subsidy.

Mose

I thought you could also get hours to enable you to search for work?

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me on this point can comment.

Kallie88

Yes, looking for work entitles you to 36 hours a fortnight, which is 1 day a week

chicken_bits

What a difficult situation to be in! Most childcare centres require 2 weeks notice for terminating child care. How does that work when people have centrelink to contend with?!?

afterlaughter

Speak to Centrelink, you maybe eligible for the special childcare subsidy because you have undergone a sudden temporary financial hardship along with new custody of a child.

• Like 1

Fossy

The quickest way it to do it is online but if that doesn't work i would be going in tomorrow, they should be able to change it pretty quickly. There’s a lag so you’ll probably be stuck with full fees. Use that time to put your child in childcare and update your resume and LinkedIn profile, set up as many interviews as possible, talk to any contacts who may be able to refer you for any jobs they know about, meet with recruiters. Make the most of the time. Good luck with the job hunt.

Edited by Fossy

onetrick

Sorry to hear that, OP. It's a tough time of year to be made redundant, especially with all of the changes in your life recently as well.

I'm not an expert, but I would be talking to centrelink about being a single parent as well as your loss of CCS? Especially if you think you might be out of work for a while due to the time of year and so many businesses closing over Christmas etc(if you cant cancel care for your son immediately without financial consequence you may as well use the time on Monday to go into centrelink... or that would be my thinking?).

UndergroundKelpie

How are people on so low hours. I'm entitled to 175 a fortnight. :/

UndergroundKelpie

If you need more work, now is the time temps are in high demand. Call up every recruitment company you can.

Crazyone26989

How are people on so low hours. I'm entitled to 175 a fortnight. :/

Huh? You are entitled to 87.5 hours a week? That’s not a thing...the most is 100 a fortnight which causes many families grief because you are often charged for the hours a centre is open and a fifth day is often not fully subsidised because of this.

• Like 3

UndergroundKelpie

Huh? You are entitled to 87.5 hours a week? That’s not a thing...the most is 100 a fortnight which causes many families grief because you are often charged for the hours a centre is open and a fifth day is often not fully subsidised because of this.

post-315956-0-90469000-1575621915_thumb.jpg

Edited by UndergroundKelpie

laridae

Give notice to the daycare asap. Did you just lose your job? You have 14 days to update Centrelink with the new details, so just leave it until the last minute and hopefully most of it will be covered. You can just do that online.

Their website says they only check the activity test details once a fortnight anyway. Depends on the timing but it may be ok.

laridae

Kelpie - that doesn't mean you are allowed 176 hours. It just means that you've put you do 176 hours of work etc a fortnight.

Your partner being listed as 76 is the give-away. You get the number of allowed hours as a single number per family. Not one each.

Edited by laridae
  • Like 2

Crazyone26989

Weird because the Centrelink site says max is 100 hours. Must be a glitch or something.

ETA aah laride’s explanation makes sense!

Edited by Crazyone26989

UndergroundKelpie

Kelpie - that doesn't mean you are allowed 176 hours. It just means that you've put you do 176 hours of work etc a fortnight.

No that's my eligible hours of CCS. I get 100 hours of approved childcare a fortnight as I'm severely disabled and 76 for work. This means If I go to hospital at short notice I can access care for the kids.

Crazyone26989

No that's my eligible hours of CCS. I get 100 hours of approved childcare a fortnight as I'm severely disabled and 76 for work. This means If I go to hospital at short notice I can access care for the kids.

Ok so that makes sense but that’s also why everyone has such “low” hours as you put it.

• Like 2

laridae

But it's a single number based on the family. Your partner wouldnt get a different allocation. And it shows his number.

Mine says 336 hours (I'm a carer as well as 3 days work), and my partner 85. That's not how many subsidised hours we get. We get 100. Its up the page a little, next to the child's name.

Edited by laridae

UndergroundKelpie

Ok so that makes sense but that’s also why everyone has such “low” hours as you put it.

I posted before I thought about it. Call it a blonde moment

UndergroundKelpie

But it's a single number based on the family. Your partner wouldnt get a different allocation. And it shows his number.

Mine says 336 hours (I'm a carer as well as 3 days work), and my partner 85. That's not how many subsidised hours we get. We get 100. Its up the page a little, next to the child's name.

I just checked and the numbers said 100+

fig_jam

This isn't correct. Even if you have an exemption from the activity test due to your disability, they use the lesser activity test eligibility amount which means you would only be entitled to CCS based on your partner's 76 hours. They don't add your entitlement and your partner's together.

laridae

I just checked and the numbers said 100+

So you have done an exceptional circumstances application to get higher hours and you are surprised most other people's aren't that high?

Ok.

• Like 1

Crazyone26989

So confused by Underground Kelpie’s situation as I swear they also work at least part time but anyway.

Coffee Guy, contact Centrelink ASAP to update your situation. Hopefully it can all be sorted.

afterlaughter

The less you work the less hours you are eligible for.

Edited by afterlaughter