Sign in to follow this  
melbun

Share the Dignity bag ideas

melbun

Is anyone else doing this?

I have my basic bag ready - handbag with essentials toiletries.

But after ideas for some nice little extras - facial wipes, hand cream, lipgloss, maybe some nice hair ties?

Any suggestions?

KwaziiCat

I have done this for the past few years and some items I have included as little extras are -

hand cream

hair ties

keep cup

Notepad/ Journal and pen

Body/ Facial wipes

chapstick

earrings

waterproof cosmetic bag

socks/ gloves

x

rosie28

I did nappy bags this year, but in the past I’ve added nail polish, pens and notepads, face masks (the sheet ones), socks and undies (big W have multi size undies that are amazing for this), a hat or scarf.

• Like 1

babybug15

In addition to the "essentials" this year I added:

* hairbrush

* hair ties and bobby pins

* beanie

* 3 pack of socks

* sunscreen

* nailpolish

* nail file

* lip balm

* paw paw cream

* bandaids

* shower mit

* hand cream

* facial mask

* tissues

* antiseptic wipes

I also included two types of pads, two types of tampons and both a block soap and shower gel.

missminx

Multivitamin tablets

Nail clippers

Crop top (instead of bras)

Phone cards / second hand pre-paid mobile

• Like 1

beccaj

Along with the great ideas for more toiletries

A notebook and pen

Warm scarf/wrap

A cap/hat

A giftcard

Drink bottle

Pencilcase with coloured pencils etc in teen bag

Hairbrush

Comb

A book or puzzlebook

Earbuds/headphones

Torch

add a carry bag so the items can be taken out and the handbag used

missminx

Multivitamin tablets

Nail clippers

Crop top (instead of bras)

Phone cards / second hand pre-paid mobile

kusanagi

They can't accept food, pharmaceuticals (incl condoms) or sharps so I think multivitamins and nail clippers might get taken out of the bags. You can include a gift card though, I've been putting Priceline ones in my bags so the recipient can buy some essentials or put it towards filling a script.

I put a small beach towel in my teen bag last year, a travel towel in a waterproof bag could also be a good idea. They have lots of ideas on their Facebook page.

• Like 1

melbun

Great ideas ladies.

KMart sell awesome gym towels. Microfibre towels that are a generous size yet roll up really small. I use for one for my hair. Going to grab one of those.

~Jolly_F~

I am following for ideas and there are some good ones here.

The kids and I are going to do this over the holidays, we have so many bags, we decided to put them to good use to help someone else out.

Edited by ~J_F~

Hollycoddle

There are some great ideas here. But know that the bag may not necessarily be handed over as is. We get a lot of these in at work, some are just full of random regifted crap so we generally go through them all and spread the stuff out among each bag so they are about even. Or in some cases we just take the toiletries out and give them separately to people as needed and send the bags themselves to charity shops. This would probably be the case with vouchers as well, they'd possibly be held by the organisation until someone comes in needing something specific. Chemist ones, as a PP suggested, are a good idea re. scripts.

Either way though, the stuff you give will go to people in need and sometimes it's better to give an item actually needed at a particular time than to hand over the whole bag with some of the stuff in it not being used by the recipient.

Edited by Mollycoddle

#YKG

I’ve done this before, I got suggested to include those feminine hygiene wipes from someone that collects the bags.

Things I’ve included in the past

Pads

Tampons

Panty liners

Feminine hygiene wipes

Hair brush

Deodorant

Hair tyes

Those travel oral hygiene pouches you get from supermarkets

Wallet

Nail polish and remover pads.

nom_de_plume

They can't accept food, pharmaceuticals (incl condoms) or sharps so I think multivitamins and nail clippers might get taken out of the bags. You can include a gift card though, I've been putting Priceline ones in my bags so the recipient can buy some essentials or put it towards filling a script.

I put a small beach towel in my teen bag last year, a travel towel in a waterproof bag could also be a good idea. They have lots of ideas on their Facebook page.

Yes, nail clippers and vitamins will be removed as they cannot be distributed.

The bags are collected and sorted through by volunteers. Sometimes items are removed/added to make sure the bags are more or less similar, or based on requests by individual charities. Gift cards and sized clothing items are often removed and distributed separately. I have previously volunteered for them.

We add items like a diary/notebook/calendar and pen, sunscreen, lip balm, hair brush/comb, hair ties, compact mirror, face washer and face mask.

• Like 1

fillyjonk

I've included some of the things listed already but have gotten some good ideas here, thanks :)

I've also included pretty bandaids (there is a floral range available in supermarkets). I'm not sure how others feel but I feel better with a pretty bandaid than a plain one.

Edited by Fillyjonk