Ozquoll

Which bed for 6yo?

Ozquoll

Fluffy Potatoes

Ds1 has a ks and we have no issues buying bedding. Will be buying a double when ds2 is ready for a bed as we need somewhere for when guests stay, but don’t have the room for a queen.

• Like 1

lozoodle

All my girls have king singles, i've never had problems buying sheets. They have a double doona as I always buy up a size in doona anyway (eg i have a king doona on my queen bed).

• Like 1

Amica

All my kids have a king single. I've not ever had an issue buying sheets.

• Like 1

Ozquoll

Thanks Brains Trust, I'll take that as a clear win for the KS size!

Any thoughts on frames, trundles, underbed storage, etc?

Ozquoll
gracie1978

I've just bought a king single.

We have an ensemble.

King sheets from spotlight and we use a double doona. All our sheets are white so I made sure I got I got another colour.

It's so perfect for the space. Means we have a spare bed for one of us or guests in the babies room.

When the girls come out of their cots we will give it to DS (he currently has an extendable single bed).

They're not born yet so hopefully that's not until 2022 :p

• Like 1

CrankyM

Definitely a king single. In all honestly we just got standard KS bedding from target. They sell the sheets in single sheets and the kids just have a single bed doona each. (I just buy fitted sheets as the flat sheets never get used or end up on the floor.

If you do get a trundle make sure it seals well under the bed, we've ended up with lego and all sort of crap interfering with the wheels and then the kid jumped on it and broke the base of the trundle so I chucked it out. Much less mess. Our trundle was just a standard single bed under the KS though.

• Like 1

born.a.girl

Our adult daughter still sleeps in the King Single she'd had since teenage years, sometimes with her boyfriend.

Don't worry too much about sheets. All you need to worry about the King Single for is the fitted bottom sheet, anything else can be double, in fact a double quilt and cover are the logical choice.

• Like 1

Ozquoll

Okay, my sister has just informed me that she HATES making her daughter's bed, which is a handsome wooden framed bed similar to the ones I linked above, because she scrapes her hand on the wood pretty much every time. That puts me off beds with frames!

YodaTheWrinkledOne

King single bed here for our kids. Great size as they grow! Haven't had a problem finding sheets.

For both of our kids, we have plain white timber framed beds. Nothing fancy, but they are sturdy and seem to doing standing the test of time well.

They both have a regular single mattress stored underneath for sleepovers. (We're cheap-arses, it's just on the floor, no trundle or anything like that, one set of single sheets for each sleepover mattress, easy peasy)

seayork2002

DS'a current bed is a normal single which he had hand made for him when he was nearly 5.

He is now 12 and over 5' so we are more likely getting him king single next year or so.

I would go straight for a king single for I was doing what you are

born.a.girl

I like the first two that you posted, but if the mattress is designed to sit snugly via a little ledge stopping it slip sliding around, it will be awful tucking anything in.

The third is similar to what we got from Captain Snooze, but it was so long ago. It had a rolly trundle which has been used quite a bit.

Hands Up

King single with trundle from Freedom. It’s great! The trundle pops up to the same level so great if you are in transition mode....

alias grace

https://www.bedshed.com.au/oliver-bed-frame-bed

We recently bought this KS frame for our 3yo and are very happy with it. The surrounding 'ledge' around the mattress is quite low so we've not had any hand-scraping incidents as yet! Trundle or under-bed drawers can be purchased separately but we opted for neither (as the head of DD's bed is in an alcove so either option would be pretty impractical). We'll obviously need to figure out sleepovers later.

Caribou

I do the bed base and attach a headboard only to head of bed best solution for me.

• Like 1

kerilyntaryn

when my son moved to Uni - the beds there were King Singles we were able to get sheets cheaply from Kmart

little lion

As Caribou said, an ensemble with separate bedhead is a nice choice (i.e. no frame). I got my kids ones from Fantastic Furniture, where you can choose from various shapes and fabrics.

purpleblaze

We got this bed for DS, it’s perfect for him.

https://www.bedshed.com.au/kids-bedroom/bed-frames/by-size/zander-bed-frame-bed#143=5

My daughters bed frame has the end that comes up higher than the bed (similar to a previous posters bed frames) and the sheets are REALLY hard to change. Never again.

Edited by purpleblaze

Ozquoll

Ellie bean

^^I don’t expect my 6 and 7yo to change sheets, we do it for them (maybe I’m too soft though!)

Actually I don’t get them to make the bed either but tbh I don’t make my own bed, never saw the point (despite my mother telling me I would understand why it’s important when I’m older), we just pull up the doona if someone will be visiting

• Like 1

Ozquoll
  • Like 1

CrankyM

Ozquoll I can barely get an 11 yr old to change sheets. They can pull them off but the motor skills in putting them on just don’t seem to have quiet clicked. I help. I also don’t ask for the bed to be made, just to make sure the doona is on the bed and not the floor. (Our bed is the only one made in this house and it’s just straightening the Doona and bedspread because otherwise the cat gets hair all over the sheets. As our bed is his bed of course).

Edited by mayahlb
  • Like 1

YodaTheWrinkledOne

My daughters bed frame has the end that comes up higher than the bed (similar to a previous posters bed frames) and the sheets are REALLY hard to change. Never again.

It was for this reason that I said we weren't getting frames where the bed end came above the mattress. So much easier to access the mattress, no matter who is making the bed. Plus, I prefer the look better :)

seayork2002

^^I don’t expect my 6 and 7yo to change sheets, we do it for them (maybe I’m too soft though!)

Actually I don’t get them to make the bed either but tbh I don’t make my own bed, never saw the point (despite my mother telling me I would understand why it’s important when I’m older), we just pull up the doona if someone will be visiting

Yes I am still waiting to find out the benefit of making a bed, sure it looks better but is there an actual reason too?

We make it when we get home from work as one of us usually (or both) watch tv in bed on a night and it is easier for the laptop to lay flat but other than that I have never worked out why

• Like 2