Sign in to follow this  
Aussiemumof4

Aptamil AllerPro

tinselfoil hat

Sorry to hear Bub isn’t doing well. Has he been on formula before or switching from breast milk?

If cows milk is the actual problem, it may not be hydrolysed enough. Probably worth trying for a little longer though because for most CMPI/CMPA babies it’s sufficient.

• Like 1

Aussiemumof4

No not switching from breast feeding just switching formula as after trying a few since birth and having the same issues this is our last step before seeing a paediatrician for further investigation. The losec has started helping but bubs poops and screaming in pain after his feeds is still an issue. None of my other children were like this. What a nightmare

tinselfoil hat

It does sound like a nightmare :( this was our experience with allerpro with our CMPI, soy intolerant reflux kid, also on losec... at 6 months DD reacted to it as it wasn’t hydrolysed enough for her level of intolerance. She had a spike in reflux. Frustratingly she also rejected the bottle so I couldn’t do much else but continue breast feeding. At 10 months I tried again (she was old enough for a straw cup) and her CMPI has lessened to the extent that she tolerated the allerpro well.

It sounds like early days for your boy, but if you have no luck there are other options. You might be able to get an urgent paed appointment to get a different type of formula on prescription.

Aussiemumof4

Thank you for the run down on your experience. We gave his regular formula overnight (Novalac reflux) and his wind seems better this morning. Will continue transitioning to the Allerpro today and see if the same thing happens. Who would have thought that the most slightly preemie baby could be so hard haha. Can’t wait for solids!!!!

Aussiemumof4

Also I have heard you can use a thickener with Allerpro so I might try that as it’s really thin which could be causing the wind. I don’t know... it’s all trial and error with babies isn’t it?

Ellie bean

It’s some years ago for me now but we did find a thickener helped, however that led to some constipation, so everything had pros and cons... my dd needed a more hydrolysed formula but allerpro was fine for ds

I do remember losec had to be given at least 20 minutes before a feed to be effective

Mine were comfort feeding which led to more pain, spacing out feeds helped but I would only do that on medical advice

I would make the aed appointment now, if you don’t end up needing it you can always cancel

The website for RISA (reflux infants association- charity) has some great info