Sign in to follow this  
Riotproof

Cat and Christmas tree.

Riotproof

OM*G. I never getting my fancy baubles out again, am I ?

• Like 5

Ellie bean

^^can the cat get through a playpen? I have had a tree inside a playpen for puppy and toddler related issues in the past!

Eta but realise this may be useless for a kitten

Edited by Ellie bean
  • Like 1

Riotproof

They jump. He’s climbed pretty much to top of it.

Let experience of one other cat says they sedate as they get older.

• Like 1

Ellie bean

I hope someone has better suggestions!

• Like 1

Froyo

I won't be getting the tree out until Archie is *much* older.

Edited by Froyo
  • Like 3

Riotproof

Froyo, dd is a real tree lover. The only decorations on it are cardboard, plastic, basically nothing he can kill.

• Like 1

born.a.girl

We had a year when decorating the tree didn't get anywhere near finished. As soon as she heard the noises, she'd be out like a shot, straight up the tree, and swipe at anyone trying to hang something. We thought it was so funny we just kept putting it off, and that's the way it stayed until it came down. We could have locked her in a room while we did it, but where's the fun in that?

• Like 2

No girls here

We had two kittens last Christmas and they totally destroyed our tree. Kept on knocking the whole thing over by climbing too high and we had to throw it out. I've had it up 5 days so far this year and they have been much better behaved.

• Like 1

Jenflea

This year my kitten will be 9 months at Christmas so I bought a flat(rather tacky, but DD loves it) wall hanging tree from Lincraft.

It's basically a flat tree made out of tinsel. DD loves it, the cat can't climb it or tip it over.

DJ's had a felt one with felt decorations but they had sold out when I went back :(

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle

Hang the tree from the ceiling

Use stick on hooks and put decorations up on the wall in the shape of a tree ( actually did this one year when DS was a toddler).

• Like 2

Pooks_

I have a cat, a puppy, and youngish kids with poor impulse control. I set up the tree anyway and spend a month keeping everyone off it.

• Like 4

HolierThanCow

Our cat was deterred by the tree being on a small, highish table. The downside being having further to fall when it did topple.

• Like 1

Riotproof

I have a cat, a puppy, and youngish kids with poor impulse control. I set up the tree anyway and spend a month keeping everyone off it.

Have you read the kids Mog’s Christmas? It does give some insight into how cats view the whole putting a tree Up .

I have so many beautiful glass baubles, but I’d like to see him not climbing it first. I did google and apparently tinsel is terrible because they use it to pull it down plus they sometimes eat it. I opted for no tinsel this year.. it’s just an explosion of non breakable and child crafted decorations atm.

• Like 1

born.a.girl

Have you read the kids Mog’s Christmas? It does give some insight into how cats view the whole putting a tree Up .

I have so many beautiful glass baubles, but I’d like to see him not climbing it first. I did google and apparently tinsel is terrible because they use it to pull it down plus they sometimes eat it. I opted for no tinsel this year.. it’s just an explosion of non breakable and child crafted decorations atm.

The biggest fright I've had is turning around and finding the visiting Schnauzer with a glass bauble in his mouth. Bit of a heart stopper.

• Like 1

Riotproof

That would be terrifying.

kadoodle

Last year our tree was on its last legs (elderly cheap plastic one) and I anchored it to the wall and put non breakable stuff on it.

Not sure what I’m doing this year.

• Like 1

RocktonResident

OM*G. I never getting my fancy baubles out again, am I ?

No, you're not.

I keep thinking my cat will outgrow it. She hasn't. This is the third year of her destroying the tree.

She's also chewed through the cable for the lights before so we have to be careful about using them.

Riotproof

I did read a tip that said you should get out the tree a few days before dressing it. That way they get bored of it by the time you start putting the baubles. Theoretically.

• Like 2

*Spikey*

We only have plastic baubles. If they're going to steal some, its usually from the bottom row. My two are surprisingly non-destructive when it comes to the tree, although zooming around the bottom is an important activity.

Riotproof

He climbs inside it and leverages on lower branches to bat the higher up baubles. He is at least wearing himself out.

Jenflea

My schnauzer got bored one day and got into the Christmas decorations in the garage and ate them.

Including most of mum's cherished glass baubles.

Riotproof

Didn’t that hurt him?

PocketIcikleflakes

We've only got plastic baubles anyway so we just let the cat tip it over on herself a few times. We've now had 8years of her lying on her back under the tree tap tapping baubles gently :)

• Like 1

Jenflea

He lived another few years until the diabetes got him in the end.

Dogs are weird.

• Like 3

chicken_bits

We've got 1 year old cats. Last year they were 8 weeks old when they came to us and we already had the tree up. We ended up taking off a row of branches and they were little enough that they could only tap the bottom row of baubles.

I'm sure this year is going to be a nightmare. I've attempted to preempt mayhem by setting the tree up in the kids bedroom. The cats don't go in there as often as anywhere else and it's easy to shut them out.

Fingers crossed!!