Sign in to follow this  
redleaves

Hearing aids

redleaves

It looks like I will need hearing aids.

Can anybody here please share their experiences with different types?

Thank you

Owls

It will depend on what kind of loss you have - do you know?

Mine is 'cookie bite' so low and high frequencies are fine, but the mid range is impaired so it looks like someone took a bite out of the chart. I use receiver in canal with the aid behind my ear.

I've worn hearing aids for 13 years since losing my hearing mid range due to pre-eclampsia, it was quite sudden. Do you know what caused your loss?

This forum has heaps of information - lots of product comparisons and questions answered from people all over the world.

https://forum.hearingtracker.com/

Best thing you can do is find a really good audiologist/aid prescriber. Probably not likely to be in a chain store. The best ones I've known are small businesses which give exceptional customer service.

Hearing impairment is nothing like vision impairment as your brain has to relearn how to hear with the aids. Good prescribers give a decent free trial and are available for multiple adjustments.

Many more tips I could offer, but not sure what you already know/may want to know. But if you have been told you need them, definitely try them and give it a really good try - don't waste time wondering/thinking they're for old people/worrying about what they look like. When they are properly set up and you are determined to give it a try, they are life changing.

Edited by Owls