FearsomeFeralFreak

Whooping cough - how long did you feel sick for?

FearsomeFeralFreak

Adults who have had whooping cough - how long did you feel sick for?

I don't mean how long did you cough for, I realise I'm going to be stuck with that for a while - but how long did you have the exhaustion, aching, mild fever, general malaise, I-feel-like-rubbish,-hand-me-those-nurofen feeling?

Everything I read seems to imply most adults just feel sick and achy in the first stage, the week before the cough. I've had the 'sick' feeling for about 3 weeks now (cough for 1.5 weeks) with absolutely no improvement.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what it was like for them?

Edited by FearsomeFeralFreak

seayork2002

For DH it has been ages, 21st October when it was confirmed he was sick for about 3 weeks before that and now near the end of November he is still having choking/coughing/throwing up fits.

FearsomeFeralFreak

Seayork does he still feel achy and unwell? Or just the cough?

• Like 1

FearsomeFeralFreak

PS Not to diminish the cough. The cough is terrible but I'm finding the exhaustion and feeling ill and fevery much more difficult to deal with.

seayork2002

Seayork does he still feel achy and unwell? Or just the cough?

Well he is managing to go to work (when the doctor told him he could) but that is about it, every day is different it all comes and goes and there is a heck of lot of whinging so it is a mix of everything I guess

IamtheMumma

About 8 weeks but it went undiagnosed until about week 4/5. I was bedridden for 6 weeks. Cough lasted months longer.

amdirel

I don't even remember feeling that sick tbh, it was the cough that was awful for me.

Sorry you're feeling so unwell OP.

Bel rose

I felt unwell for about 2 months, cough lasted much longer though.

Rainbowbear

Edited by Rainbowbear

I'mBeachedAs

I was unwell and coughing badly for the full 3 months

FearsomeFeralFreak

Oh dear. Some depressing answers...

Anon wife

Sorry to say but I'm still exhausted 3 months after catching it from my son. I've been having a few naps here and there in the hope that it will speed up the recovery...has not helped. I've strained my chest and back muscles from coughing and dry wretch multiple times a day still. In hindsight I should have seen the dr earlier and maybe it wouldn't still be lingering. If you can see your dr I would see if there's anything that can be done now as it's absolutely exhausting.

FearsomeFeralFreak

I’m on Zithromax but I think that will just shorten the contagious period. I don’t know where I got this damn thing from. Disappointing as I’m immunised against it as well.

lozoodle

Oh no sounds awful, no advice. just hope you feel better soon.

MrsLexiK

I felt like crap every day for around 3 months and sometime between 3 months and 6 months I stopped feeling like crap every day. I was really sick for the full 90 days with the coughing (which made me feel so tired and exhausted when your coughing so much). Then the next 3 months every week I got better and coughed less (if I over did it I would have a flare up and feel crappy for a couple of days and cough really bad for a few days). So for me I didn’t start to feel better for 3 months but I wasn’t back to myself until 6 months after.

IamtheMumma

My favourite part of WC is that a decade later, if I cough more than 3 or 4 times in a row, I throw up. My body learnt that is what you do when you cough.

• Like 1

*melrose*

About 2 to 3 weeks. I got it last year. I cough so much my lungs were brused.

amdirel

My favourite part of WC is that a decade later, if I cough more than 3 or 4 times in a row, I throw up. My body learnt that is what you do when you cough.

Oh my gosh I thought that was just me!! I have to get straight on to the rikodeine when I have a cough now.

Mollyksy

Oh my gosh I thought that was just me!! I have to get straight on to the rikodeine when I have a cough now.

Nope me too. I've had concerned pharmacists give me a low voice urgent caring talking to about having a 'problem". And a slight disbelief when I'm like 'I just vomit or my (2) hernias twist if I cough too much'. Unless you've lived it you cant appreciate it. And the brushfire smoke isnt bloody helping (disclaimer totally understand my annoying cough is totally unimportant compared to human and animal loss of life, loss of homes and livelihood and our brave fire fighters).

IamtheMumma

Nope me too. I've had concerned pharmacists give me a low voice urgent caring talking to about having a 'problem". And a slight disbelief when I'm like 'I just vomit or my (2) hernias twist if I cough too much'. Unless you've lived it you cant appreciate it. And the brushfire smoke isnt bloody helping (disclaimer totally understand my annoying cough is totally unimportant compared to human and animal loss of life, loss of homes and livelihood and our brave fire fighters).

Pertussis, a gift that keeps on giving.

FearsomeFeralFreak

Awesome....so much to look forward to.

SeaPrincess

My sister had been sick for a month before they even tested her for it. I think they’re more proactive these days.

Slightly OT, but understandably, she was paranoid about it when she had her babies and insisted we all get vaccinated. Dad was being ridiculous about it, and Mum said “where would he get WC anyway?” When I replied “well where did sister get it?” they both looked at me and he was booked in the following week.

Edited by SeaPrincess

Mollyksy

Slightly OT, but understandably, she was paranoid about it when she had her babies and insisted we all get vaccinated. Dad was being ridiculous about it, and Mum said “where would he get WC anyway?” When I replied “well where did sister get it?” they both looked at me and he was booked in the following week.

Glad they could at least respond to logic and not dig their heels in just because. Good result!

• Like 1

Karlee99

It took me about 6 months to start feeling normal again. I had been to my doctor twice and brushed off both times but when I started coughing until I nearly passed out from lack of breath they decided to take me seriously and test.

boatiebabe

Horrendously sick for about two months (not sure I slept more than a couple of hours a day), unwell for another two, not great for another two after that.

Probably about six months until I started feeling better and then probably another couple of months until I felt well.

I broke two ribs coughing in the acute phase - it was terrible.