purpleduck

Greater Sydney Water restrictions - increase to Level 2 from 10th Dec

purpleduck

Updated list of restrictions - EFFECTIVE 10DEC

https://www.sydneywater.com.au/SW/water-the-environment/what-we-re-doing/water-restrictions/level-2-water-restrictions/index.htm

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/premier-announces-toughest-water-restrictions-in-a-decade-20191120-p53cix.html

Level 2 water restrictions will come into force for the city, the Blue Mountains and the Illawarra regions from December 10 as poor rainfall shrinks dam levels to new lows.

Current water restrictions:

https://www.sydneywater.com.au/SW/water-the-environment/what-we-re-doing/water-restrictions/index.htm

New restrictions from 10th Dec: unfortunately I can't find a link on the Sydney water page so taking info from the article above:

• gardens to be watered by a bucket or watering can between approved times.
  • Cars can only be washed with a bucket or taken to a commercial car wash and pools can only be topped up for 15 minutes per day using a hose with a trigger nozzle

If anyone has a better link for Level 2 restrictions, please post!

Edited by purpleduck
  • Like 1

Riotproof

Oh wow.

I really don’t understand why commercial car wash has an exemption. Why would they use less water?

Is it simply that the high pressure hoses they use, are more efficient?

Edited by Riotproof

purpleduck

I think they re-use the water?

• Like 9

Riotproof

Ahh, I haven’t noticed that, but I am too tight to use them, so I haven’t looked that closely.

Caribou

I looked this up too. Wiki disputes the level two and says it’s max 3 days a week and you can still use a hand held hose to water gardens. You just can’t use drip or sprinkler systems.

Caribou

SMH is badly edited, it’s vague and not clear. Poor form. Since when did it become ok for journalism to skip proofreading??

• Like 3

purpleduck

I think I’m more annoyed that Sydney Water doesn’t have a list of the restrictions for each level.

Or is that up to the councils?

• Like 3

Caribou

It is surprising. Hunter Water is also on level 1, but also flags what 2 and 3 would involve https://www.hunterwa...strictions.aspx

Hunter valley says 4 min max showers for level 2!

Edited by Caribou

BECZ

Sorry OP, a bit of a side tracked question.....

Does anybody know if they have individual water meters on newly built units yet?

I feel individually metered units would have a reasonable impact on Sydney’s water usage.

Not so much now, but in previous years, even while under water restrictions, I knew numerous people who didn’t care about how much water they wasted as it wouldn’t really impact them as they were either renting (a unit) or felt that it wouldn’t really impact them. They had the theory, why bother as by the time it’s divided by 20, it makes no difference to what they end up paying and if I don’t use it, someone else will.

Lunafreya

SMH is badly edited, it’s vague and not clear. Poor form. Since when did it become ok for journalism to skip proofreading??

Since they cut costs by getting rid of sub editors

• Like 5

seayork2002

Sorry OP, a bit of a side tracked question.....

Does anybody know if they have individual water meters on newly built units yet?

I feel individually metered units would have a reasonable impact on Sydney’s water usage.

Not so much now, but in previous years, even while under water restrictions, I knew numerous people who didn’t care about how much water they wasted as it wouldn’t really impact them as they were either renting (a unit) or felt that it wouldn’t really impact them. They had the theory, why bother as by the time it’s divided by 20, it makes no difference to what they end up paying and if I don’t use it, someone else will.

One half of our street is all new units (we rent one) and yes I believe they all have individual meters.

the meter readers have a standard key I believe, I saw one a few days ago checking our unit block - which is easily done and the common roller door to the car park is broken again so anyone can walk in!

sorry a OT rant!

Edited by seayork2002
  • Like 1

Smoo

I think I’m more annoyed that Sydney Water doesn’t have a list of the restrictions for each level.

Or is that up to the councils?

In Sydney it's determined by the state government, where councils are responsible for water supply it's determined by the council. There's no universal definition. I suspect they're not on the website because they weren't decided yet.

Dubbo got in trouble for not taking the drought seriously so they upped the level then watered down what it meant

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/dubbo-to-change-water-restrictions-definition-following-backlash-20191104-p5379t.html

Bethlehem Babe

The varying levels and restrictions are crazy. They need to be uniform.

Here are our current level 2 restrictions, much less restrictive.

ons.

FOR DOMESTIC USE

Water lawns and gardens

Water your lawns and gardens with watering systems, sprinklers, hand held hoses fitted with a trigger nozzle, microsprays, drip systems and soaker hoses.

1Summer times between: 6am–9am; 6pm– 9pm every second day, as per odds and evens system.

2Winter times between 7am–10am; 4pm–7pm every second day as per odds and evens system.

Wash cars at home

Permitted with bucket and rinse with trigger nozzle on lawn between 9am–12pm any day.

Washing down hard surfaces including walls and driveways

Not permitted.

Irrigation of new turf

Permitted for one week after laying after which Level 2 restriction on watering lawns applies.

Topping up of private swimming pools

Only permitted between the hours of 7am–9am, and 6pm–8pm, every day.

FOR COMMERCIAL USE

Water lawns and gardens

Water your lawns and gardens with watering systems, sprinklers, hand held hoses fitted with a trigger nozzle, microsprays, drip systems and soaker hoses.

1Summer times between: 6am–9am; 6pm– 9pm every second day, as per odds and evens system.

2Winter times between 7am–10am; 4pm–7pm every second day as per odds and evens system.

Road construction

Not permitted for road construction*.

* Council has an alternate water supply at Gulgong which can be accessed for road construction works.

External cleaning of premises

Only permitted for the external cleaning of non-residential premises using high pressure washer.

Irrigation of new turf

Permitted for one week after laying after which Level 2 restriction on watering lawns applies.

Topping up of commercial swimming pools

Only permitted between the hours of 7am–9am, and 6pm–8pm, every day.

1 Summer time – refers to Daylight Saving period Eastern Standard Time from first Sunday in October to first Sunday in April.

Lesley225

I have to throw a lot of buckets of water over the car as I'm too short compared to 15 seconds with a trigger hose.

I rinsed my car this morning but we still have a fair amount in the tank.

~LemonMyrtle~

Wow, level 2 is really starting to get serious. And we are only just heading into summer.

They contrast between the drought and heat up north and our unusually cold and wet spring here in Melbourne is just crazy.

I have no idea what to expect anymore.

• Like 1

Caribou

Note the water restrictions include not putting on sprinkler for kids/pets to keep cool and no water wasting activities like slip n slide or those blow up toys that pour water out of them.

• Like 1

MadMarchMasterchef

I think they re-use the water?

That is correct.

Incidently, do modern cars really need that much washing? I have a friend with a hyundai i30 who I dont think has ever washed it apart from when they do it if it gets serviced. Looks fine.

Edited by WannabeMasterchef

Caribou

That is correct.

Incidently, do modern cars really need that much washing? I have a friend with a hyundai i30 who I dont think has ever washed it apart from when they do it if it gets serviced. Looks fine.

I think so long as your vision (windows) aren’t obscured, it’s fine.

• Like 2

MadMarchMasterchef

I think so long as your vision (windows) aren’t obscured, it’s fine.

Im also very lazy and I respect that others might have more care about their vehicle's appearance ;)

ETA I do know mud and so forth is bad on the underside. Just thinking out loud if you could get away with washing cars a lot less.

Edited by WannabeMasterchef
  • Like 2

Ozquoll
  • Like 6

Lesley225

That is correct.

Mine is covered in coal dust all the time from the huge piles dwarfing the sky I drive past every day.

I have an I30 too and I did rinse it off today for the first time in months as I could hardly see out of the windows and used tank water.

• Like 1

got my tinsel on

Way to get from A to B: twice a year'll do

Calm down.

Once before trading in is more than enough.

• Like 9

Bethlehem Babe

Apparently some bird poo is bad and can eat the paint or stain it. So I get told.

• Like 2